The Student Room Group

Why is Queen Mary University so expensive for masters

I have an offer to study Corporate finance MSc but it is a colossal 19.8K. Much higher than say Exeter and Loughborough, other similar russel group unis who charge around 11-14k for similar courses.
QM would probably argue that you’d get a greater university experience with them (still don’t think it justifies such a huge fee but there you go :dontknow:)

Edit: I’ve just remembered that QM do admittedly have good ties with inner city large corporations and businesses so the connections they’d give you would probably add to the worth of the masters.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by AANN99
I have an offer to study Corporate finance MSc but it is a colossal 19.8K. Much higher than say Exeter and Loughborough, other similar russel (sic) group unis who charge around 11-14k for similar courses.

They're in London, so have higher expenses. They probably expect applicants to be less concerned about the cost, as they will expect to earn a lot.
There are people out there willing to pay that much, since they're convinced a master's degree is somehow useful in improving their employment prospects or convinced it will somehow allow them to advance faster in their career, when skills/experience is a much bigger factor.
Reply 4
@xSkyFire I went to Swansea (non-Russell group uni) for undergrad, wouldn't a masters from a Russell group on my CV increase my employability? I doubt it would increase it enough to make it worth paying 20K for though lol
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by AANN99
@xSkyFire I went to Swansea (non-Russell group uni) for undergrad, wouldn't a masters from a Russell group on my CV increase my employability? I doubt it would increase it enough to make it worth paying 20K for though lol

Not really, all a masters shows is you decided to continue doing exams for another year at the cost of a house deposit.

Having a summer internship or a year in industry is far more valuable than another degree.

I have a BSc and MSc from KCL alongside a PGCE which I got during my time at TeachFirst. I taught myself to code, got some experience doing open source projects and beat PhD grads to a post which doesn't make use of my degrees at all. Getting some actual experience will serve you far better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending