The Student Room Group

Don't want to complete my dissertation

I'm on an MA English Literature course and have 1 module to do by August (because I had mitigating circumstances) and also the dissertation. My problem is, I don't want to do the dissertation-I feel so behind everyone else that I wonder if I can even do it in time-It's due in November. I have a topic but reading about it is like a chore. It doesn't help that I'm not sure what the gap will be and I don't have a tutor because they are on leave. The whole experience has been **** basically-I get that the MA is more independent-I'm fine with that. But there is a line between less guidance from lecturers etc and providing the bare minimum. I've lost all confidence in the course and also in myself. If I drop out I will gain a PGDip which is fine right? It just means I have advanced knowledge without completing a research project. I don't want to go into research anyway.
Reply 1
Don't get me wrong-I'm going to try and do it. But if my tutor returns in September and says it's **** then I'm done.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm on an MA English Literature course and have 1 module to do by August (because I had mitigating circumstances) and also the dissertation. My problem is, I don't want to do the dissertation-I feel so behind everyone else that I wonder if I can even do it in time-It's due in November. I have a topic but reading about it is like a chore. It doesn't help that I'm not sure what the gap will be and I don't have a tutor because they are on leave. The whole experience has been **** basically-I get that the MA is more independent-I'm fine with that. But there is a line between less guidance from lecturers etc and providing the bare minimum. I've lost all confidence in the course and also in myself. If I drop out I will gain a PGDip which is fine right? It just means I have advanced knowledge without completing a research project. I don't want to go into research anyway.

To get a PgDip, you need to have completed all modules from your previous 2 taught semesters. Speak to your personal tutor or course leader to discuss your options. If you genuinely hate your dissertation topic, you could enquire about whether it's possible to change it.
Original post by Anonymous

I'd agree with @PhoenixFortune - you need to speak to someone at your university about how you are feeling sooner rather than later.

It isn't unusual to feel fatigue when researching and writing a longer piece of research - many students go through periods when they feel massively frustrated with their research, or tired with the whole process - but if you're beginning to hate your research and are considering dropping out of it altogether, you need to seek some support and discuss ways forwards. Whilst an MA is a piece of independent research that certainly doesn't mean you should be unsupported or on your own for lengthy periods. However, there is a greater expectation that you will seek out help if you need it.

If your dissertation tutor is going to be on leave for a while and is unable to help you, there should be a module lead, personal tutor, or postgraduate lead who you can talk to in the meantime. Drop them an email, be honest about the difficulties you are experiencing and ask for an urgent phone call or video chat to discuss. There are lots of routes open to you - leaving with a PGDip is just one of them and probably one best avoided given the work you've put into your course so far. There may be the potential for you to alter the focus of your research, or just a greater level of support to assist you with continuing with your current topic or helping you re-discover what appealed to you about it in the first place.

You may also want to speak with Student Services and your Students Union to see if they can offer support - completing an MA can be stressful at the best of times and it's even more so in the current situation. Both university staff and students are having to adapt to the restrictions placed on us by Covid-19 and it has, understandably, left many people feeling isolated. Talking to someone about this can be a huge help - whether that is in a counselling setting, or simply having the opportunity to talk it through with peers at online social events. At Keele, our postgraduate student union has been running a virtual coffee morning, and there have been virtual writing retreats and other social/academic events. Our postgraduate mental health officer has also signposted some support resources online at https://www.starttosuccess.co.uk/resources. Your SU reps can also help support you if in raising any concerns you might have about your tuition, or if you're not sure how to approach tutors/course leads to discuss this.

Don't give up just yet - you've worked really hard to get this far. Hope that helps.

Amy :smile:

Quick Reply