Ebadur__345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey,
Im currently in y13 studying maths, physics biology and I'm really stuck between pharmacy and biomedical sciences.
Iv heard the job prospects for pharmacy students are getting worse which puts me off. I don't want to have studied for 4/5 years to then end up struggling to find work as a pharmacist.
On the other hand biomedical science is a 3 year course and i can study it in my hometown whereas with pharmacy i cannot.
I have heard about physician associate studies but they are apparently getting more and more competitive so what if i don't get in?
What can i do with the biomedicine sciences degree?
Queen Mary Student Ambassadors
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Ebadur__345)
Hey,
Im currently in y13 studying maths, physics biology and I'm really stuck between pharmacy and biomedical sciences.
Iv heard the job prospects for pharmacy students are getting worse which puts me off. I don't want to have studied for 4/5 years to then end up struggling to find work as a pharmacist.
On the other hand biomedical science is a 3 year course and i can study it in my hometown whereas with pharmacy i cannot.
I have heard about physician associate studies but they are apparently getting more and more competitive so what if i don't get in?
Hi Ebadur!

My name is Maryam and I am a Physician Associate student at Queen Mary University of London. I also did my undergraduate degree at QMUL and I studied BSc Biochemistry. I'm not able to talk about Pharmacy as I haven't studied it but I can give you some insight for Biomedical Science as I did something very similar.

Biomedical Science is a research degree that focusses on the science behind processes in the human body.

Here are a few things you can become after further study, with a Biomedical Science degree:

- Medical Laboratory Assistant
- Clinical Scientist in Biochemistry, Genomics, Haematology and Immunology
- Forensic Scientist
- Physician Associate
- Medical Research Scientist
- Microbiologist

Hope this helps!
St George's, University of London
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey,
Hi Ebadur__345

I can only speak about Biomedical Sciences, but hopefully can add some helpful insight. With the Biomedical Science degree, there's so many options open to you. You can go into Physiotherapy by taking a one year add on, you can become a Biomedical Scientist in the NHS, you can work in Finance, you can work in Clinical Research, Clinical Genetics etc.

With the Physician's Associate course, it's a very good option, but of course it is competitive. But that doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to get in! If you work hard, achieve highly, and make a fantastic application, you're likely to get a place. Remember you don't have to go into it straight from uni either, you can always take a year out and reapply if needed.

Best of Luck!
Lauren
2nd Year Biomedical Science Student
SGUL Official Rep
Ebadur__345
Rep:
?
(Original post by St George's, University of London)
Hi Ebadur__345

I can only speak about Biomedical Sciences, but hopefully can add some helpful insight. With the Biomedical Science degree, there's so many options open to you. You can go into Physiotherapy by taking a one year add on, you can become a Biomedical Scientist in the NHS, you can work in Finance, you can work in Clinical Research, Clinical Genetics etc.

With the Physician's Associate course, it's a very good option, but of course it is competitive. But that doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to get in! If you work hard, achieve highly, and make a fantastic application, you're likely to get a place. Remember you don't have to go into it straight from uni either, you can always take a year out and reapply if needed.

Best of Luck!
Lauren
2nd Year Biomedical Science Student
SGUL Official Rep
Do u think it will be possible to apply for physician associate while training to become a clinical scientist as a backup?
cathasatail
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Do u think it will be possible to apply for physician associate while training to become a clinical scientist as a backup?
Hi!

(I've just graduated from a Biomedical Science course (I'm going onto graduate-entry medicine this year))

In response to your question about applying for a PA course while training to become a clinical scientist: It's absolutely possible, but I wouldn't advise it. If you want to go down the clinical scientist (at least within the NHS) route you'll want to go for a course which is HCPC accredited, otherwise you'll end up shelling out a sizeable chunk of money completing top-up modules after your degree. A common route that people take is to apply to the NHS STP but be warned that this is somewhat competitive.So if you were successful and were on that, training to become a clinical scientist, then I would argue that applying for a PA course would be a waste of the energy that you've invested in the clinical scientist route, and you would arguably have taken the place of someone who may have been dead-set on the STP.

If you do end up choosing Biomedical Science, then you'll have plenty of time to decide which route you would like to go down, but I'd urge you not to apply for one while you're training for the other. Work experience, being exposed to clinical and lab environments, talking to those currently working as clinical scientists/PA's, etc, will help you to make the decision. From what I've heard, PA's are getting more and more competitive. But with plenty of time to develop yourself as an individual and a candidate, both are certainly realistic goals!

In terms of career prospects, I personally know friends who have just graduated and are about to start MSc and PhD courses or medicine, or are doing PGCE courses to become teachers, have started work as healthcare assistants, some have moved to finance already, some are in medical device sales, or clinical trials, or research assistants, some are studying nursing, etc. I could go on and on, but there are a surprising number of opportunities out there!

My knowledge of pharmacy degrees is somewhat limited, so I'll leave that to others, but if you've got any questions about biomed then I'm always happy to help

Best wishes,
Ebadur__345
Rep:
?
(Original post by cathasatail)
Hi!

(I've just graduated from a Biomedical Science course (I'm going onto graduate-entry medicine this year))

In response to your question about applying for a PA course while training to become a clinical scientist: It's absolutely possible, but I wouldn't advise it. If you want to go down the clinical scientist (at least within the NHS) route you'll want to go for a course which is HCPC accredited, otherwise you'll end up shelling out a sizeable chunk of money completing top-up modules after your degree. A common route that people take is to apply to the NHS STP but be warned that this is somewhat competitive.So if you were successful and were on that, training to become a clinical scientist, then I would argue that applying for a PA course would be a waste of the energy that you've invested in the clinical scientist route, and you would arguably have taken the place of someone who may have been dead-set on the STP.

If you do end up choosing Biomedical Science, then you'll have plenty of time to decide which route you would like to go down, but I'd urge you not to apply for one while you're training for the other. Work experience, being exposed to clinical and lab environments, talking to those currently working as clinical scientists/PA's, etc, will help you to make the decision. From what I've heard, PA's are getting more and more competitive. But with plenty of time to develop yourself as an individual and a candidate, both are certainly realistic goals!

In terms of career prospects, I personally know friends who have just graduated and are about to start MSc and PhD courses or medicine, or are doing PGCE courses to become teachers, have started work as healthcare assistants, some have moved to finance already, some are in medical device sales, or clinical trials, or research assistants, some are studying nursing, etc. I could go on and on, but there are a surprising number of opportunities out there!

My knowledge of pharmacy degrees is somewhat limited, so I'll leave that to others, but if you've got any questions about biomed then I'm always happy to help

Best wishes,
Thanks for clearing that up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (135)
14.75%
I'm not sure (40)
4.37%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (277)
30.27%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.62%
I'm not a current university student (439)
47.98%

Watched Threads