The Student Room Group

flopped my access course, what now?

Hi all,

I started an access course in art + design in September, I was evicted when I started my course so the majority of my time in my first term was focussed on finding a bed for the night pretty much every day, once I found somewhere to live I had to prioritise getting a job. this meant my work in the first term pretty much didn't exist, but my course tutors knew I was capable of more, especially in the second term as that's when I started to get back into the swing of things and began getting merits on my work. Obviously, due to the pandemic, we couldn't complete the course or our third term, which was when I had planned on getting fewer hours at work so I could focus on uni.

I want to study film at UAL, but I don't think I am getting in as I got half the UCAS points they've asked me for. I even tried applying for extenuating circumstances as my situation put me in a position where I couldn't complete my work. We even got set a final major project to do at home, but because I didn't get a loan for my course I used to uni to rent out laptops and cameras to film and edit, I don't have the resources to create anything. It wasn't being assessed so I didn't do it, we ended up getting what the moderators predicted we'd get instead which isn't fair for me bc the work I produced wasn't the best reflection of my ability and the only people who can back that are my course tutors. I even contacted UAL and they gave me an extended deadline to meet the entry requirements but I explained that there's no way for me to meet the entry requirements as my course is done.

Either way, I am exhausted, I had a horrible start to my year and couldn't redeem myself bc we have a pandemic to hide in our houses from. What have people who've completed access courses with bad grades done next? did you manage to get into your first choice anyway? I don't have a backup plan, as someone who lives on their own w no family uni was the most secure plan for me for the next 3 years and I didn't have enough time to create a plan B.
Sorry to hear you’re going through a tough time. Would it not be possible for you to repeat your access course in the upcoming academic year and reapply to uni for 2021 admission?
Reply 2
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Sorry to hear you’re going through a tough time. Would it not be possible for you to repeat your access course in the upcoming academic year and reapply to uni for 2021 admission?

I would but I really can't afford to do the course again. It was expensive and more time consuming than a degree tbh
Original post by Asma-A
I would but I really can't afford to do the course again. It was expensive and more time consuming than a degree tbh

Are there any other universities that offer a course you want to do, but for lower entry requirements or are you really set on UAL?
Reply 4
Are there any other universities that offer a course you want to do, but for lower entry requirements or are you really set on UAL?

I am really set on UAL, I also want to stay in London and there arent many other unis that offer the course I want. I've been emailing them throughout lockdown. I've been looking at other courses and my ucas points are still not good enough :frown:
Perhaps you can contact your college or whoever your access course provider is, and explain the situation along with the backing of your course tutors, so that they could allow you to repeat the year without admission fees/ greatly reduced fees?

I’m sorry, I know I’m not being very helpful, I’ve never done access courses so I’m just trying to think of alternative ways you could still make it to your chosen uni :frown: or at least bumped this thread enough so that someone with more useful info can help you
Reply 6
Perhaps you can contact your college or whoever your access course provider is, and explain the situation along with the backing of your course tutors, so that they could allow you to repeat the year without admission fees/ greatly reduced fees?

I’m sorry, I know I’m not being very helpful, I’ve never done access courses so I’m just trying to think of alternative ways you could still make it to your chosen uni :frown: or at least bumped this thread enough so that someone with more useful info can help you

Nooo, don't apologise thank u so much bc I didn't really think anyone would understand what I wrote let alone reply! thank you I appreciate it

I will I don't think it's fair and I worked really hard and I would've worked harder if I was physically able to do the work. I am gonna write a lot of emails tomorrow, I hate that I can't call bc the uni I want aren't taking calls at the minute.
Original post by Asma-A
Nooo, don't apologise thank u so much bc I didn't really think anyone would understand what I wrote let alone reply! thank you I appreciate it

I will I don't think it's fair and I worked really hard and I would've worked harder if I was physically able to do the work. I am gonna write a lot of emails tomorrow, I hate that I can't call bc the uni I want aren't taking calls at the minute.

I would definitely talk to your tutors about it if you can, and maybe student support if you have that at your college because they might be able to help you or know about options that maybe you’re not aware of right now :smile:
Original post by Asma-A
Hi all,

I started an access course in art + design in September, I was evicted when I started my course so the majority of my time in my first term was focussed on finding a bed for the night pretty much every day, once I found somewhere to live I had to prioritise getting a job. this meant my work in the first term pretty much didn't exist, but my course tutors knew I was capable of more, especially in the second term as that's when I started to get back into the swing of things and began getting merits on my work. Obviously, due to the pandemic, we couldn't complete the course or our third term, which was when I had planned on getting fewer hours at work so I could focus on uni.

I want to study film at UAL, but I don't think I am getting in as I got half the UCAS points they've asked me for. I even tried applying for extenuating circumstances as my situation put me in a position where I couldn't complete my work. We even got set a final major project to do at home, but because I didn't get a loan for my course I used to uni to rent out laptops and cameras to film and edit, I don't have the resources to create anything. It wasn't being assessed so I didn't do it, we ended up getting what the moderators predicted we'd get instead which isn't fair for me bc the work I produced wasn't the best reflection of my ability and the only people who can back that are my course tutors. I even contacted UAL and they gave me an extended deadline to meet the entry requirements but I explained that there's no way for me to meet the entry requirements as my course is done.

Either way, I am exhausted, I had a horrible start to my year and couldn't redeem myself bc we have a pandemic to hide in our houses from. What have people who've completed access courses with bad grades done next? did you manage to get into your first choice anyway? I don't have a backup plan, as someone who lives on their own w no family uni was the most secure plan for me for the next 3 years and I didn't have enough time to create a plan B.

Two quick options i can think of.... But your so late in the cycle....for my first suggestion.

Get on a foundation year with a uni. UCAS usually funds this.
Or
Go to a provider that will accept your UCAS points.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending