jammypop101
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
anyone doing an economics degree, would you recommend taking an economics degree without taking economics A level? I do biology, maths and psychology at A-level. also how would i show interest in economics without ever having background in it?
what about gap year internships? doing placement years? are there any good placement programmes i could look into?
Cheesybread
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would say do economics at Alevel as this way you get to learn about the subject which can help you decide if this is something you want to do.
You can demonstrate by reading economics book, show you've read articles about the economic impact of Covid-19
Placement years are useful, the government offers a good program. There are loads of different ones available for this i suggest contacting your uni as they may have the contacts to get you in a good placements.
If your interested in banking banks offer spring weeks in first years, and also there are summer internships that many companies offer
jammypop101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cheesybread)
I would say do economics at Alevel as this way you get to learn about the subject which can help you decide if this is something you want to do.
You can demonstrate by reading economics book, show you've read articles about the economic impact of Covid-19
Placement years are useful, the government offers a good program. There are loads of different ones available for this i suggest contacting your uni as they may have the contacts to get you in a good placements.
If your interested in banking banks offer spring weeks in first years, and also there are summer internships that many companies offer
thank you
some people have said it really doesnt matter doing economics at a level but maths is very useful. but thanks alot!
Cheesybread
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jammypop101)
thank you
some people have said it really doesnt matter doing economics at a level but maths is very useful. but thanks alot!
Do maths if you can this way you can do Ba or Bsc economics, depending on whether you like maths or not. I just think gaining some background info if useful.
If you search on here i'm sure there be loads of useful threads recommending books for beginners
-_-
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did A-level maths, physics and chem and ended up with a Economics degree in the end.

A-level Economics is not a pre-requisite. In fact, Economics at undergrad is also not a pre-requisite for PhD Economics.

I would also add, do what you enjoy the most starting from now
jammypop101
Rep:
?
what is the employability like for econ?
-_-
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what is the employability like for econ?
question is what you like to do. I think econ in general are pretty all rounded for jobs where no specific degree is required

E.g. you can't be doctor, engineer, Phd Mathematicians etc...

But if it's a job in ibank, consultancy, accountant, sales etc... - Econ is a good one
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
anyone doing an economics degree, would you recommend taking an economics degree without taking economics A level? I do biology, maths and psychology at A-level. also how would i show interest in economics without ever having background in it?
what about gap year internships? doing placement years? are there any good placement programmes i could look into?
Hi,

I would say it's definitely not necessary to have done Economics A-level, unless it is a requirement from the university you are applying to. From my experience at Lancaster University, although I did A-level Economics, a lot of first year was bringing the entire cohort up to speed with basic economic principles, much of this overlapped with A-level. So I wouldn't worry about not studying it A-level, but if you wanted to show your interest in economics and start your learning earlier there's a lot of good books to read, namely Freakonomics and The Armchair Economist. I would also say what helped me when I was applying to university, was to show an expressed interest in news and current affairs and apply what you know about economics to events in the news, this will also go a long way with your university work!

Any ways I can help feel free to get in touch,
Finn (3rd Year Economics & Politics student)
NiceEconTeacher
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I think you would need a good reason to explain why you're interested in the subject and if it is available at your school, why you are deciding to study it at uni now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (38)
28.57%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (12)
9.02%
No I am happy with my choice (74)
55.64%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
6.77%

Watched Threads