The Student Room Group

Studying Graphic Design- Art foundation, integrated foundation year or no foundation?

I've known for 4 years that I want to study graphic design- currently, I am thinking at probably Norwich University of the Art, Middlesex University, Salford University or Birmingham City University. I've always been adamant that I didn't want to take I foundation, but now I'm thinking that I probably should. I don't think I will be able a make a portfolio strong enough to apply to go straight into a degree. The thing is, I really don't like the idea of staying in my home town to do so and for all the courses I've been looking at, you can take an integrated foundation year. I get that finances are a bit of an issue, but forgetting about that, can you apply to take graphics with a foundation year at uni when you meet entry requirements already (my predicted grades are AAB)? Is there anyone that has done this (especially at any of the unis I was thinking of)?
Original post by ladybirds
I've known for 4 years that I want to study graphic design- currently, I am thinking at probably Norwich University of the Art, Middlesex University, Salford University or Birmingham City University. I've always been adamant that I didn't want to take I foundation, but now I'm thinking that I probably should. I don't think I will be able a make a portfolio strong enough to apply to go straight into a degree. The thing is, I really don't like the idea of staying in my home town to do so and for all the courses I've been looking at, you can take an integrated foundation year. I get that finances are a bit of an issue, but forgetting about that, can you apply to take graphics with a foundation year at uni when you meet entry requirements already (my predicted grades are AAB)? Is there anyone that has done this (especially at any of the unis I was thinking of)?

Hi there!

If you are already meeting entry requirements for the courses you're looking at, then it may be worth contacting the Universities you're interested in directly to show the Graphic Design lecturers your current portfolio. They are likely to offer you advice on whether you should take the Foundation Diploma, as it seems you are currently unsure if you need to or not.

Have you considered studying at Plymouth College of Art? We teach Graphic Design BA (Hons) as well as the Foundation Diploma at our Pre-Degree campus. We also offer a four-year programme with the first year as the Foundation Diploma, before progressing onto the full Undergraduate degree. This is called the Extended BA (Hons) Degree, and you would specifically apply to study the Graphic Communication Extended BA (Hons). I have also linked in some information about Fees and Funding for you.

I hope this helps and please feel free to ask any questions you may have!
Lauren :smile:
Student Ambassador and Second Year Animation Student
Original post by ladybirds

Hi, my name is Alex and I am ambassador at Middlesex.

Middlesex is great university which can provide you excellent facilities for studying. You can explore our campus here, during virtual tour: https://www.mdx.ac.uk/get-in-touch/virtual-tour Middlesex is about 10 minutes far away from Hendon Central station, where Northern Line works. You can also take a bus which will take you straight up to university. Our campus is new and modern.

Our graphic design course embraces the recent advancements, developments, and changes undergone by the creative industries. You’ll be challenged to develop your own creative voice with guidance from our staff and support from state-of the-art facilities. During your studies you’ll have access to photographic studios, an extensive art and design library, dark rooms, workshops with technical support, and much more.

I believe you can apply for foundation year even though you meet requirements. If you want to get more information about this topic please contact admission team: [email protected]

I wish you all the best with your application, Alex :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest