ukcatpanic
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello! I'm going to do my dissertation next year and I honestly don't even know what mark to aim for. Is 60% considered a good mark? 70? 80? 90? What do you think is the average?

I've seen a few comments on here that it's easy to get above 70% on a science dissertation, but I might've misunderstood. I don't really know anyone irl that can answer this as we're all similarly clueless so I thought I would just quickly ask here. I mainly just want to see if it's possible to do really well on my diss (75%+) and bring my overall grades up to a 1st.

(Also, if anyone has any dissertation tips, please share! I want to try to get ahead since I think I've decided on my topic)
Last edited by ukcatpanic; 1 year ago
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ukcatpanic)
Hello! I'm going to do my dissertation next year and I honestly don't even know what mark to aim for. Is 60% considered a good mark? 70? 80? 90? What do you think is the average?

I've seen a few comments on here that it's easy to get above 70% on a science dissertation, but I might've misunderstood. I don't really know anyone irl that can answer this as we're all similarly clueless so I thought I would just quickly ask here. I mainly just want to see if it's possible to do really well on my diss (75%+) and bring my overall grades up to a 1st.

(Also, if anyone has any dissertation tips, please share! I want to try to get ahead since I think I've decided on my topic)
60% is a 2:1, 70% is a first so I would say anything above 60% is a good mark for a dissertation. It's easy to get good marks if you tick all the boxes of things you need to include, plus having good critical evaluation. I recommend contacting your dissertation unit lead and requesting an information pack about it, I assume they'll have one.

Tips for dissertations:
- Make a rough timeline of when you want to get everything done. Aim to get it done 2-3 weeks earlier than the deadline to allow for time in case you get delayed e.g. tutors missing meetings
- Make a checklist of everything you need to do and organise it into the sections e.g. abstract, intro, method
- Look at previous dissertations so you get the feel for what they look like, how they're structured and what kind of language they use
- Reference as you go along. You'll need a lot of soruces, so make sure to gather these in a word doc as you find them, otherwise it'll be a nightmare trying to find all the references again
- Back up your data after every edit, just in case. I think I would have rolled myself down a mountain if my laptop died and I lost my dissertation. I actually backed mine up onto 2 different memory sticks
- Proof read a squillion times, get your parents to proof read too. Honestly you cannot proof read enough. Even after my 5th time proofreading I was still finding little mistakes or little things I could change to make it read better etc.

Good luck My dissertation was the toughest piece of work I've completed but all of the effort really does pay off in the end/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (145)
29.12%
It went fairly well (236)
47.39%
It didn't go too well (74)
14.86%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.63%

Watched Threads