Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I am going into my final year of Civil Engineering at Liverpool University. I haven't done an internship at any consulting companies as I have been working for an Engineering company this summer.

I am becoming more and more interested in working in consulting. However I get the feeling I’m going to struggle to get in to any companies without the relevant work experience, also considering my A-Level grades are not great. However I am almost certainly going to get a 2.1 with honours.

Would it be worth while considering doing a masters degree in a more relevant subject? Or would a masters in Civil Engineering make me a more attractive candidate? This might also allow me to participate in a more relevant internship program next summer.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have friends at top London unis who have got straight into Big 4 consultancy grad schemes without any prior experience and with a non-relevant (science) 3-year degree.

A Masters in itself wouldn't make you any more attractive, and I don't think that internships are as vital for consulting companies as they are for investment banks.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but I’m not at a top London Uni!lol

In your experience do people from Universities outside the top 6 for their course struggle to get into consulting firms? Not really expecting to get into one of the top firms.

That’s why I thought it might make me more attractive with a masters.

ReputationRep:
    Also are consulting firms generally keen on really good A-Level results?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam2933)
    Yeah but I’m not at a top London Uni!lol

In your experience do people from Universities outside the top 6 for their course struggle to get into consulting firms? Not really expecting to get into one of the top firms.

That’s why I thought it might make me more attractive with a masters.
    it is very hard to get into a top consulting firm even from a top 3 uni due to the low intake number. You may try the likes of Accenture, IBM, Capgemini, but i wouldn't keep my hopes up, if I were you. Alternatively, it would be easier for you to get a job in a big4 firm in a regional office (Liverpool?), get your ACA and then see from there.

ReputationRep:
    To be 100% honest with you OP, I'd say your best chance is to get onto a Masters course at a top uni, since Liverpool may hold you back. You've got a strong quant background, so try and get on a Finance course somewhere I guess. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your responses.

Think I might have to get in touch with a few companies to find out what is the best thing to do at this stage.

Just a quick unrelated query; what are the exit options like for consultancy work? I read somewhere ( from a current graduate working for a consultancy firm) that it is often a good area to get into if you are not 100% sure what you want to do in the future?

Would it be an advantage to have a few years consultancy work in terms of future career options? I guess it couldn’t do any harm.

Thanks

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.