Feel like a failure for not doing 4 A levels...

Watch
lhh2003
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I know I keep banging the same old drum but I am surrounded by quite arrogant people who make me feel bad for only doing 3.. at first I choose to do 3 out of fear of not being able to cope with 4. I wanted to do 4 in January but my school said no.

My studies are a HUGE part of my life , so I want to do as well as I possibly can and feel like I overcame challenges that are worthy of feeling proud about overcoming. But then I read about people who did 4 a levels and got exactly the same as me, but with a WHOLE extra a level, which is like 1.5x the stress of doing 3..

How can I stop feeling this way ? I am doing physics and further maths in a third year so will come out with 5 a levels and an EPQ, but I still feel like this doesn't compare to juggling 4 a levels over 2 years, even though I will do 2 a levels in one year...
Usernamechange44
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by lhh2003)
I know I keep banging the same old drum but I am surrounded by quite arrogant people who make me feel bad for only doing 3.. at first I choose to do 3 out of fear of not being able to cope with 4. I wanted to do 4 in January but my school said no.

My studies are a HUGE part of my life , so I want to do as well as I possibly can and feel like I overcame challenges that are worthy of feeling proud about overcoming. But then I read about people who did 4 a levels and got exactly the same as me, but with a WHOLE extra a level, which is like 1.5x the stress of doing 3..

How can I stop feeling this way ? I am doing physics and further maths in a third year so will come out with 5 a levels and an EPQ, but I still feel like this doesn't compare to juggling 4 a levels over 2 years, even though I will do 2 a levels in one year...
As long as you get good grades and get into a good uni, then shouldn’t worry about how many a levels you’re doing. Some people are just better at coping with 4 than 3, and you honestly shouldn’t feel disheartened by those people putting you down. My sister only did 3 a levels and got into a good uni and she is thankfully doing fine. As long as your happy with what you’re doing, I don’t think you should feel like a failure for only doing 3. Remember, most people do 3 because it’s easier to handle, don’t listen to your peers that are bringing you down! Hope this helps
etienne26
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If your qualifications get you to the next stage of life, why does it matter about how many A levels you did? Why bother going through the stress of a whole A level if it will barely even be recognised. Even Oxbridge require just 3. You're not a failure at all
lhh2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by Usernamechange44)
As long as you get good grades and get into a good uni, then shouldn’t worry about how many a levels you’re doing. Some people are just better at coping with 4 than 3, and you honestly shouldn’t feel disheartened by those people putting you down. My sister only did 3 a levels and got into a good uni and she is thankfully doing fine. As long as your happy with what you’re doing, I don’t think you should feel like a failure for only doing 3. Remember, most people do 3 because it’s easier to handle, don’t listen to your peers that are bringing you down! Hope this helps
Thank you for the kind words
lhh2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by etienne26)
If your qualifications get you to the next stage of life, why does it matter about how many A levels you did? Why bother going through the stress of a whole A level if it will barely even be recognised. Even Oxbridge require just 3. You're not a failure at all
Thank you !!
JOSH4598
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by lhh2003)

Absolutely normal to do 3 A-Levels. I went to a (state) sixth form which was one of the top colleges in the UK and outranked many private establishments - out of 2,500 students less than 200 would have taken a fourth subject by the end of the two years. A few more took a fourth and dropped at end of year 12 but vast, vast majority took 3 from the start. It makes no difference in terms of universities, and 3 high-grade A-Levels is better than 4 average-grade A-Levels.
Yas031119
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
at the end of the day universities do not favour students that took 4 or regard a 4th a level in the general, but if you want to try it at AS then drop it for the sake of it - like i am - defo go for it
Last edited by Yas031119; 6 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (255)
57.17%
I don't have everything I need (191)
42.83%

Watched Threads