username4942066
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi

I know lots of ppl recommend history and English at a level to do law but there are no official requirements for this as such. Would you be all right doing 2 humanities (politics and philosophy say) and a MFL?

Thanks for your help
Broque_
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I see no problems with your A level choices.

Politics is great. It enhances your analytical and problem-solving skills, stands as a solid essay-writing subject and gives you good awareness of the political context surrounding law systems.
Languages is solid. It might not look very interlinked at first glance, but it will be considered an asset that many other students do not have, completely excluding the fact it gives you a good foundation for international work with global firms. You can also continue your involvement in your language through uni societies or extra curricular courses.
Philosophy won't put you at any disadvantage. It helps with your problem-solving skills and communication, as well as being another supporting essay subject.

At the end of the day, what matters is that you enjoy the subjects you are taking enough to dedicate time and energy, and get the grades you need.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you want to English Law, there's no A level subject requirements with sometimes a preferred in an essay subject (but not needed) - so you can do 3 STEM subjects and do law. If it's Scottish law, you need one essay subject. You dont need English or History - Just choose the ones you like. I chose History, Maths and Physics so go for it. They are great A levels and a good combination
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by spacegirl3)
Hi

I know lots of ppl recommend history and English at a level to do law but there are no official requirements for this as such. Would you be all right doing 2 humanities (politics and philosophy say) and a MFL?

Thanks for your help
Hi spacegirl3

As you've said there are no specific A levels required for Law, so your choices would be fine. The main thing is if you enjoy them and think you can do well in them as uni's will mainly look at the grades you achieved.

Zaira
Libbyc16
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
history, english lit, law, politics, sociology, psychology, re, ethics, philosophy, classics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (28)
5.67%
Uncertainty around my education (57)
11.54%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (58)
11.74%
Lack of purpose or motivation (66)
13.36%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (27)
5.47%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (21)
4.25%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (53)
10.73%
Financial worries (29)
5.87%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
4.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (32)
6.48%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
2.83%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (48)
9.72%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (41)
8.3%

Watched Threads