The Student Room Group

What should I be studying in Yr 9 Summer?

I've just finished year 9 and I was wondering if I could do anything to help prepare for my GCSEs. I know that many of you might think it's too early but plz don't say this - I need some advice. Should I be making sure I have notes from year 9 topics - in sciences (I didn't make all of my notes), or maybe flashcards/ doing tests on the topics I've done?

Btw, I'm taking English Language/Literature, Maths, Triple Science, History, German, R.S, and Computing.

Also, should I be doing anything for English Language/Literature or Maths this early on - I was going to go through all maths topics I've done since year 7 and make fact sheets for all, but I'm not sure if it's a waste of time. I was going to write down everything I've learned so far in Computing in a notebook and maybe write tenses, word orders down for german and go through the vocab from yr 7-9 as my teacher said it might be useful, but is it not needed?
(edited 3 years ago)
Did you start your science GCSEs in Y9? If not, then I wouldn't bother doing flashcards/tests on what you've already done as some of it just won't be relevant to the GCSE course at all. If you know the exam boards you're going to be taking for e.g. sciences, history, then you could use https://senecalearning.com/en-GB/ to start learning a bit.

If I'm honest, I do think going over all the maths you've done is a bit of a waste of time - if you're super keen you could start looking at e.g. https://corbettmaths.com/5-a-day/gcse/ for a few questions :smile:

Doing some German wouldn't hurt, maybe go over some tenses etc. and use Duolingo for some common phrases?

Do have a relaxing summer though, no point burning out (losing your motivation) just because you wanted a head start!
Original post by laurawatt
Did you start your science GCSEs in Y9? If not, then I wouldn't bother doing flashcards/tests on what you've already done as some of it just won't be relevant to the GCSE course at all. If you know the exam boards you're going to be taking for e.g. sciences, history, then you could use https://senecalearning.com/en-GB/ to start learning a bit.

If I'm honest, I do think going over all the maths you've done is a bit of a waste of time - if you're super keen you could start looking at e.g. https://corbettmaths.com/5-a-day/gcse/ for a few questions :smile:

Doing some German wouldn't hurt, maybe go over some tenses etc. and use Duolingo for some common phrases?

Do have a relaxing summer though, no point burning out (losing your motivation) just because you wanted a head start!

okay, thank you! and yes, I started my GCSEs in Yr 9. Should I make notes in german + do all of the vocab or is that pointless? Should I do anything for English language/ literature? Btw, what year are you in? 🙂
Original post by moonflower321
okay, thank you! and yes, I started my GCSEs in Yr 9. Should I make notes in german + do all of the vocab or is that pointless? Should I do anything for English language/ literature? Btw, what year are you in? 🙂

I don’t think it’s essential for you to do revision, but you can if you want. You’ll probably go over it in Y11 anyway

I didn’t do a language for gcse, so I’m probably not the best person to ask!

If you’ve started an English lit text (and have it at home) then there’s no harm in reading it over the summer and getting a website like sparknotes/typing “..... chapter 2 analysis gcse” into YouTube :smile:
I’m going into Y13 in September :biggrin:
don't do too much but you could practice some german basics (tenses, basic sentences etc) to help be confident in that

and with English if you have one of your GCSE texts at home read it through and maybe practice some creative writing!

otherwise chill and try enjoy your summer :smile:
trust me just relax maybe revise a bit of what you have done before because this is such a relaxing time you won't get back!
Reply 6
Learn paper 1 biology chemistry and science so In class it is a recap, trust me it will be worth it
Original post by laurawatt
I don’t think it’s essential for you to do revision, but you can if you want. You’ll probably go over it in Y11 anyway

I didn’t do a language for gcse, so I’m probably not the best person to ask!

If you’ve started an English lit text (and have it at home) then there’s no harm in reading it over the summer and getting a website like sparknotes/typing “..... chapter 2 analysis gcse” into YouTube :smile:
I’m going into Y13 in September :biggrin:

kk thank you!
Original post by bambi1425
don't do too much but you could practice some german basics (tenses, basic sentences etc) to help be confident in that

and with English if you have one of your GCSE texts at home read it through and maybe practice some creative writing!

otherwise chill and try enjoy your summer :smile:

Is it helpful if I practice all I've done in maths form yr 7-9 + write down examples in a notebook + write all I need to know for Computing GCSE down somewhere (we did some GCSE stuff in class)?
Is it helpful if I practice all I've done in maths form yr 7-9 + write down examples in a notebook + write all I need to know for Computing GCSE down somewhere (we did some GCSE stuff in class)?

maths- don't bother unless you struggle alot
you could write down what you've done so far- but not the whole course
Original post by bambi1425
maths- don't bother unless you struggle alot
you could write down what you've done so far- but not the whole course

thanks a lot! :smile:
I've just finished year 9 and I was wondering if I could do anything to help prepare for my GCSEs. I know that many of you might think it's too early but plz don't say this - I need some advice. Should I be making sure I have notes from year 9 topics - in sciences (I didn't make all of my notes), or maybe flashcards/ doing tests on the topics I've done?

Btw, I'm taking English Language/Literature, Maths, Triple Science, History, German, R.S, and Computing.

Also, should I be doing anything for English Language/Literature or Maths this early on - I was going to go through all maths topics I've done since year 7 and make fact sheets for all, but I'm not sure if it's a waste of time. I was going to write down everything I've learned so far in Computing in a notebook and maybe write tenses, word orders down for german and go through the vocab from yr 7-9 as my teacher said it might be useful, but is it not needed?

So I would recommend to not do too much revision this summer, leave that for next summer. I am in year 10 and I do Computer Science and during year 9 summer I just worked on my programming skills. So find some programming problems or ask your teacher for some and practise. Don't waste time revising stuff from year 7 and 8. If your school is like mine and you started GCSE's in year 9 then I would recommend making some notes and flashcards for what you have learnt this year. I also do triple science and what's really important for understanding topics in triple science is explaining them to someone else. And when people get tired of you just d what I do and explain it to your bookshelf.:biggrin: But honestly don't stress too much you will have lots of time to go over everything next year and in year 11.

No don't do that because it won't really benefit you to go over stuff from year 7 and 8. Instead if you really want to practise maths I would recommend doing a few exam questions. You could use websites like Maths Made Easy or if your school has a subscription you could use Hegarty Maths. But please don't overwork yourself. I have been told by many teachers that year 9 summer is the last summer you will really enjoy for a while so please don't stress yourself out.
Original post by ViperStudent
So I would recommend to not do too much revision this summer, leave that for next summer. I am in year 10 and I do Computer Science and during year 9 summer I just worked on my programming skills. So find some programming problems or ask your teacher for some and practise. Don't waste time revising stuff from year 7 and 8. If your school is like mine and you started GCSE's in year 9 then I would recommend making some notes and flashcards for what you have learnt this year. I also do triple science and what's really important for understanding topics in triple science is explaining them to someone else. And when people get tired of you just d what I do and explain it to your bookshelf.:biggrin: But honestly don't stress too much you will have lots of time to go over everything next year and in year 11.

Thank you, this was very helpful! I love how you explain it to your bookshelf - I'll try it sometime 😂.
Original post by ViperStudent
No don't do that because it won't really benefit you to go over stuff from year 7 and 8. Instead if you really want to practise maths I would recommend doing a few exam questions. You could use websites like Maths Made Easy or if your school has a subscription you could use Hegarty Maths. But please don't overwork yourself. I have been told by many teachers that year 9 summer is the last summer you will really enjoy for a while so please don't stress yourself out.

I'm alright at maths at the moment, so is it necessary for me to do some exams on everything or should I just revise on my hardest topics, tbh I can't be asked to write examples for everything but my school book isn't very helpful as it's a bit messy and I find it better if I have everything written up/ in one area.
Reply 15
All I’m saying is do not do a language
I'm alright at maths at the moment, so is it necessary for me to do some exams on everything or should I just revise on my hardest topics, tbh I can't be asked to write examples for everything but my school book isn't very helpful as it's a bit messy and I find it better if I have everything written up/ in one area.

Sorry this is so late. Year 11 is keeping me busy :frown:. I would say revise the topics you struggle with and find specific questions for those and then every once in a while, do a big exam to see how you have improved. I'm also glad you found some of my comments useful.

Quick Reply

Latest