m4g1c4l
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Currently heading into my 2nd year at University and really enjoying my language degree but, after all the build up, our proposed year abroad has been moved entirely online for the first semester. There is concern that this may extend into the second semester.

The year abroad is fundamental to developing conversational skills, personal development and overall literacy in our target language. I feel a virtual year abroad would be no different than paying for regular iTalki lessons or speaking to natives for free on other apps.

I’m torn between sticking with the virtual year abroad in the hope that we go abroad in the 2nd semester or, deferring for a year, earning money and studying whilst loading onto an immersion course later this year and subsequently rejoining university next September.

Either way I’m passionate about languages and the experiences that come with inter-cultural communication.

What are your thoughts? Is deferring and going on a delayed immersion course a short sighted option?
Last edited by m4g1c4l; 10 months ago
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by m4g1c4l)
Currently heading into my 2nd year at University and really enjoying my language degree but, after all the build up, our proposed year abroad has been moved entirely online for the first semester. There is concern that this may extend into the second semester.

The year abroad is fundamental to developing conversational skills, personal development and overall literacy in our target language. I feel a virtual year abroad would be no different than paying for regular iTalki lessons or speaking to natives for free on other apps.

I’m torn between sticking with the virtual year abroad in the hope that we go abroad in the 2nd semester or, deferring for a year, earning money and studying whilst loading onto an immersion course later this year and subsequently rejoining university next September.

Either way I’m passionate about languages and the experiences that come with inter-cultural communication.

What are your thoughts? Is deferring and going on a delayed immersion course a short sighted option?
I was supposed to be going to Norway to do a language course (not officially a year abroad, just something I want to do). The first term is being taught online and the second is being taught in-person. I've decided to do it, it's not ideal but a term abroad (4-5 months) is still a considerable amount of time.

I guess it depends on whether you feel you can accomplish what you need to do to prepare for final year in a term or not. If you can (and people doing two languages only get one term for each language, so theoretically you should be able to survive with just one term too), then I would say go for it. Do you know what kind of online classes you will get in the first term? If they're offering something close to a full-timetable then I don't think it's worth extending your degree an extra year. You could use the year you 'gain' by not deferring to study a masters abroad if you wanted to.

Look into finding a summer school in a country where your target language is spoken for next summer, you might be able to re-create much of the lost term (with better weather).
Last edited by Snufkin; 10 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
37.77%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (18)
9.57%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.38%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (47)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.3%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.98%

Watched Threads