Will England ever get a devolved government?

Watch
username5336976
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Will he ever happen or not?
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not unless the English vote for it no.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Doubt it, unless the union collapses.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Same as Napp, the only way it will happen is by default if scotland, wales and N.I all go.
caravaggio2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Do you mean England or the UK?
If you mean England I very much hope not. If you think our national politicians are incompetent don't look at the standards of local ones.:eek: (at least where I live)
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
For one, there'd be a reluctance to do that because any unit in a country that contains about 9/10th of the population is inevitably going to have an inappropriate level of sway over the central government.

Secondly the people of England aren't particularly keen on it, which is the most important concern.

I'd be reasonably in favour of a better form of regionalism. But again, no-one really wants it that much.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Doubt it, unless the union collapses.
May the Union never collapse.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by HerdRunner)
Will he ever happen or not?
We have London. Nuff said.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Gundabad(good))
We have London. Nuff said.
The Mayor of London is devolution of England, tis true.
HEWITTMAESTRO
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would argue the prospect of English devolution could occur in 2 hypothetical scenario’s: 1) Scottish independence occurs as a result of SNP pressure exemplified by the issue of Brexit, in turn forcing an English parliament as the union has not dissolved. 2) The Union remains in tact but again, the issue of Brexit raises further questions over English sovereignty as the devolved powers appeal to many Brexiteers, leading to English devolution.

However as already noted, the appetite amongst the electorate for such measures seems meagre. I am concerned over the breakup of the Union after we’ve officially left the EU, and cannot stand the SNP.

Here’s food for thought: Is it hypocritical to support Brexit (British independence) whilst also denying the idea of Scottish independence, and if not, why not ?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by HEWITTMAESTRO)

Here’s food for thought: Is it hypocritical to support Brexit (British independence) whilst also denying the idea of Scottish independence, and if not, why not ?
Yes. Which is why I support both.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by HEWITTMAESTRO)
No, but it does betray a weakness in nationalist ideology: that it is an ideology of conflict, that tries not to reflect identity but control it. What can completing nationalisms do to solve the Northern Ireland situation? Or Israel/Palestine? Absolutely nothing.

If you're a nationalist, you're no more hypocritical than any other - but I'd argue that both are just as negative at their core.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
An English parliament, no. Some level of devolution towards regions, perhaps.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Quady)
The Mayor of London is devolution of England, tis true.
Long Live London
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (35)
18.23%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
27.6%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (104)
54.17%

Watched Threads