Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK so heres the situation, where i live there is a large amout of under 10's, they seem to enjoy running through the front garden of my property, climbing over the fence whenever they see fit. They also climb a wall that seperates the parking spaces of my house and the house next door, using it to aid them climbing a tree thats right next to it.

It's become somewhat of a daily occurance and i know that eventually one of them will fall and break themselves and try blame me or my mother for not stopping them (despite them being told daily not to do it.)

If i were to paint the fence and the top of the wall with anti-climb paint, where do i stand legally because the wall doesn't actually belong to any property? Will the parents of the children who's clothes are destroyed by the paint have rights to claim compensation for the clothes and/or injury? Also is it a legal requirement (or at least good policy) to put up a sign saying thay the paint is being used?

Hope someone can help (and also hopefully this is the right section)

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    2 words: concrete glass

ReputationRep:
    If it's not your property to paint that could be a problem.

Stand there in your garden with a watergun and squirt anyone who dares enter. After a while they should get the message :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Instead of paint I'd bed broken bottles into cement on top of the wall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoktaUH)
    OK so heres the situation, where i live there is a large amout of under 10's, they seem to enjoy running through the front garden of my property, climbing over the fence whenever they see fit. They also climb a wall that seperates the parking spaces of my house and the house next door, using it to aid them climbing a tree thats right next to it.

It's become somewhat of a daily occurance and i know that eventually one of them will fall and break themselves and try blame me or my mother for not stopping them (despite them being told daily not to do it.)

If i were to paint the fence and the top of the wall with anti-climb paint, where do i stand legally because the wall doesn't actually belong to any property? Will the parents of the children who's clothes are destroyed by the paint have rights to claim compensation for the clothes and/or injury? Also is it a legal requirement (or at least good policy) to put up a sign saying thay the paint is being used?

Hope someone can help (and also hopefully this is the right section)

Cheers
    You would need to place a sign in a place that is obvious and easy for them to see. The other issue is You saying the wall doesn't belong to any property. It must belong to someone, so you will need their permission.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sick Puppy)
    If it's not your property to paint that could be a problem.
    Then don't advertise the fact that you've painted it. Paint it one night when nobody is around and deny all knowledge of it if asked.

ReputationRep:
    But what about painting the fence that does belong to the property?

ReputationRep:
    You act as if them breaking themselves would be a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Instead of paint I'd bed broken bottles into cement on top of the wall.
    (Original post by shuvle)
    got there first.. great minds think alike

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Then don't advertise the fact that you've painted it. Paint it one night when nobody is around and deny all knowledge of it if asked.

Good point!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    You act as if them breaking themselves would be a bad thing.
    It wouldn't, but them being able to claim money for damaging themselves due to something i did isn't such a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    But what about painting the fence that does belong to the property?
    You can paint anything on your property, but you will need to display a sign making people aware, otherwise they will be able to sue for any damage that occurs from your painting.

ReputationRep:
    Paint at night when noone can see you.

ReputationRep:
    are you sure its not your property? is it like the boundary wall between you and your neighbour. Look on your deeds - it should say if you own it or not - i know that in my street everybody owns the boundary wall to their left - they are responsible for its upkeep etc.

It is either yours or your neighbours - have a word with your neighbour see if he feels the same -

ReputationRep:
    It's a rented property so it wont belong to us, but the property that we rent which we are responsible for the upkeep of, preventing kids wrecking the fence (which they have and i've spent today fixing) could be classed as upkeep, no?

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't, but them being able to claim money for damaging themselves due to something i did isn't such a good thing.
    It worries me that you seem to be serious. There only 10 year olds, surely you dont really want them to break their arm or something. I mean at 10 lots of people do stuff like this, doesnt make them bad people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shuvle)
    Epic Win lol

ReputationRep:
    It's a rented property so it wont belong to us, but the property that we rent which we are responsible for the upkeep of, preventing kids wrecking the fence (which they have and i've spent today fixing) could be classed as upkeep, no?
    Then you need permission from the owners.

ReputationRep:
    whats anti-climb paint? paint that stops you climbing? -how?

ReputationRep:
    If it isn't your wall you will have trouble defending yourself legally in the event that it comes to that, if you do get permission to paint I believe you need a sign. However as others have said - you could use the paint without anybody knowing or being able to trace it back to you - but then there could be moral issues if a child seriously hurts themselves due to the paint.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 1, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.