Turn on thread page Beta

Click here if you're a nice person watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I sold a driving theory test book on Amazon which was in brand new condition as I used it a few times, and the buyer wants a refund because there are pages missing from the Highway Code.

I did not rip any pages out or anything like that but there is no way to prove it. They want either the missing pages (which I obviously don't have) or a refund.

Googled the Highway Code and found out that you can get it online for free.

What should I do? Thanks in advance.

PS I had bought the book from a bookshop, so it's very unlikely that there would be missing chunks in it.

ReputationRep:
    Half an hour and no replies?

ReputationRep:
    Tell them to stuff themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Tell them to piss off or face the wrath of your lawyers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hnm)
    I sold a driving theory test book on Amazon which was in brand new condition as I used it a few times, and the buyer wants a refund because there are pages missing from the Highway Code.

I did not rip any pages out or anything like that but there is no way to prove it. They want either the missing pages (which I obviously don't have) or a refund.

Googled the Highway Code and found out that you can get it online.

What should I do? Thanks in advance.

PS I had bought the book from a bookshop, so it's very unlikely that there would be missing chunks in it.
    Give them a refund and ask them to retun the book. Then take the book into the store you bought it from and get a refund.

EDIT - This is after you have asked them to prove it arrived in that condition.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a nice person, I just wanted to see what all the nice people do together. Nothing interesting, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Tell them to stuff themselves.
    Is it acceptable for me to say that I have a no refund policy?

I don't really want them giving me a negative feedback since I'm planning on selling more books.

How does my reply sound? (I haven't sent it yet)

Dear [person who bought book from me],

I bought that book from Waterstones shop a few days earlier, so I don't understand why there would be pages missing. Could you send me a picture of it? The full highway code is available here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_070202

Unfortunately I have a no refund policy. Please accept my apologies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kater Murr)
    I'm not a nice person, I just wanted to see what all the nice people do together. Nothing interesting, obviously.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    Give them a refund and ask them to retun the book. Then take the book into the store you bought it from and get a refund.

EDIT - This is after you have asked them to prove it arrived in that condition.
    I haven't got the receipt because I threw it away after I sold the book on Amazon.

If I give them a refund, I will be left with a useless book (if there really are pages missing) and will have wasted money on postage and be over 7 quid worse off. Urgh.

ReputationRep:
    Calm down son. They can't drive and they're too tight to buy their own Highway Code book, so there's not much chance of them hunting you down to your abode.

ReputationRep:
    Ask them to take pictures of the book, with the missing pages? oh, actually, they'll just tear them out won't they!

Oh, I don't know.....

I am a nice person though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kater Murr)
    I only used that title because no one was replying. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hnm)

I don't really want them giving me a negative feedback since I'm planning on selling more books.

I bought that book from Waterstones shop a few days earlier, so I don't understand why there would be pages missing. Could you send me a picture of it? The full highway code is available here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_070202

If you ask for a photograph, the likelihood is that they'll tear a few pages out, send you the photo, and expect a refund. It might be best to leave that bit out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hnm)
    I haven't got the receipt because I threw it away after I sold the book on Amazon.

If I give them a refund, I will be left with a useless book (if there really are pages missing) and will have wasted money on postage and be over 7 quid worse off. Urgh.
    If the book was supplied to you not fit for purpose, you don't need a receipt.

They important thing to do is to get them to try and prove you supplied the book in its current condition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy_J)
    Calm down son. They can't drive and they're too tight to buy their own Highway Code book, so there's not much chance of them hunting you down to your abode.
    They live scarily near me.

ReputationRep:
    They sound like a right ****ing idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hnm)
    I only used that title because no one was replying. :rolleyes:
    BTW, when did this guy by the book off you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hnm)

sounds good enough. but the buyer may feel cheated, unless you had specified in the listing that a refund would not be given under any circumstance. but still if you didn't mention that you'd give a refund either then it should not be too much trouble.

btw did you not notice these missing pages when youwere reading through it?

also, why not just ask the buyer to go to Waterstones and get it exchanged

hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Tell them to kiss your arse - it's not like you've sold them a book with the right cover but then nothing but a picture of a flaccid penis with word 'fail' written across it for the contents... They can't prove it...if it's not there, how do you they even know something's missing?

Tell them that you used it, and you passed your test. Don't worry about the negative feedback - it's just one person.

ReputationRep:
    ok I am taking out the line about sending me a picture.

To Prudy- how do I get them to prove it? and if I went back to Waterstones saying that the book has pages missing, they'd ask how would they know I didn't take out those pages myself?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.