AS help! Watch

joshthefro'
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hello

I am currently about to go into year 12 at a comprehensive school (although I gladly hear that that doesn't seem to matter anymore) and am trying to decide my AS levels, with a view of eventually applying to Oxbridge (probably Oxford).

I am going to try and do five, and am fairly sure that I can keep up with the work.

My dilemma is that I don't know which ones to pick, as I am thinking of either doing Medicine, with a mind to becoming a GP, or History.

My choices so far are:
-Maths
-Further Maths
-Chemistry
-Physics
-History

Maths my second favourite subject (after history), I really enjoy it and managed to do the GCSE in year 10 and part of the AS level in year 11, achieving a high A* in GCSE and a good A in the C1 module (although I realise this is one of, if not the, easiest modules). Therefore I would be loath to give up maths, and I am going to do further maths out of enjoyment of the subject, not just to impress interviewers.

I know Chemistry is absolutely vital to Medicine, so that has to stay, as is History for studying History really!

However, here is the tricky part. Although the prospects of Medicine excite me, Biology doesn't really. I am an able biology student, but it just doesn't grab me in the way Physics does.

Therefore, my question is can anyone really get into Oxbridge without Biology for Medicine? I had a look on the website but different areas seem to contradict each other.

Also, my interest in Medicine is fairly recent (about one year), and I was wondering whether anyone, like me, has been attracted to course later on in school, as opposed to most who are attracted to it from a young age.

Thanks for listening, any comments would be appreciated!

P.S. This is my first post so sorry if it is too long/in the incorrect place/just a bit lame.
Ducar111
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
concerning history, oxford likes people to do a foreign language as A-Level.(It's not a requirement, but as i said, they encourage people on the website to study a foreign language)...this advice only matters if u should decide to give up ur medicine plans, coz i doubt that u will be able to do 6 A-Level...
indie_couture
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you check the university and they dont say you have to have biology then dont do it. As long as you have chemistry and at least one other science you will be fine. So ou have more than that. Your subjects are an excellent choice and having history will probably improve your chances as you have a wider range.
chooklet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was similar to you a year ago. I wanted to do medicine but also wasn't a big fan of biology. However, I found that A level biology was very different to GCSE biology. A lot of the content is chemistry related as well as being more in-depth than previously taught. I find that I like biology a lot more than I did at GCSE and am even continuing it to A2 level despite having a change in career plans so that biology is irrelevant to what I want to study at university. So I'd advise you to consider it as you may find it more interesting as well as maybe giving you more of a chance at being accepted onto a very competitive course.
joth
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not sure what to advise, since your two options call for two different choices. For studying History, I'd advise maybe another essay-based A level subject, depending on what your school offers. For Medicine, however, Biology would be helpful (though certainly not essential!).

If you're really not sure which you want to go for, just choose an A level that you enjoy - as long as you do Maths, Chemistry and History, you've got the essentials covered, so the rest is optional. Also, don't worry about a foreign language - 90% of the History people I know at Oxford didn't do one, and it didn't hurt their chances!
joshthefro'
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thanks very much for all you help!

I have decided to take physics as the fifth subject, but will keep my mind open as to if I want to carry it on all the way through sixth form or not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (83)
25.86%
No (238)
74.14%

Watched Threads