The Student Room Group

Snobbiest university?

I know many people will say Oxford and Cambridge (there is some truth in this with some students I have heard about) but what other Universities stand out as the worst for upper class (+ a little below that) students not befriending the rest or just having massive supreriority complexes (+ immaturity).

I don't want to make the wrong decision on what university I go to, thats all. And which Universities are the most sociable? As in, you don't get a bunch of angry teenagers who are insecure and argue amongst themselves. I want to live in a happy community seeing as it is 3 years of my life.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mr_Steve_Stifler
I know many people will say Oxford and Cambridge (there is some truth in this with some students I have heard about) but what other Universities stand out as the worst for upper class (+ a little below that) students not befriending the rest or just having massive supreriority complexes (+ immaturity).

I don't want to make the wrong decision on what university I go to, thats all. And which Universities are the most sociable? As in, you don't get a bunch of angry teenagers who are insecure and argue amongst themselves. I want to live in a happy community seeing as it is 3 years of my life.

All universities have there morons and there nice people. There is no answer to this, you will make your own friends when you get there. It is really a bad idea to put yourself of a uni based on hearsay.
Reply 2
The University of Bedfordshire. I went for an interview there and the students were all looking down at me with disdain. Bastards.
Amy_J
The University of Bedfordshire. I went for an interview there and the students were all looking down at me with disdain. Bastards.

Oh Amy, Amy, Amy.
Reply 4
If you enjoy the subject your studying, you will enjoy your expirence and you will more than likely meet people as passionate on the subject as you, everywhere you go your will get different people, different attitudes etc.
Reply 5
Mr_Steve_Stifler

Durham (I go there and can certainly tell you there is a class of 'rahs').
I actually have to say out of all the unis Ive visited the students at Oxford were the friendliest. Having met a kinda weird girl from cambridge I was a bit prejudiced against the whole oxbridge thing. But having gone there it felt a lot more sociable and relaxed than any Ive been to in London for example. So yea what Prudy said dont avoid particular unis because of rumours and hearsay.
Lell
Durham (I go there and can certainly tell you there is a class of 'rahs').

Is it actually that bad - is there a lot of snobbery? What % of rahs are there compared to "regular" people?
From what i've seen Bristol and Exeter are all Oxbridge rejects with chips on their shoulders
Sussex? Seaside playground for Rahty girls?
If it is "Rahs" you are on about then Edinburgh is definitely at the top of that list.
Royal Holloway seemed quite snobby, but in a nice way. They seemed friendly but rich.
Reply 12
Toxic Tears
Is it actually that bad - is there a lot of snobbery? What % of rahs are there compared to "regular" people?

I would say most people here are nice, decent people but there is a (loud)minority of stuck up morons (I couldn't give a percentage but they are prominent). Don't rule Durham out because of them, they are irritating but it shouldn't ruin your time here as most people are nice and don't care about people's backgrounds or how much money daddy earned last year.

If you have any questions about Durham feel free to ask me:smile:
Alright, I knew that Durham has a deserved bad reputation because I visited it myself and my teacher (who went there) didn't have the greatest opinion of the so called 'rahs' to say the least.

I'm thinking about going to KCL, UCL, Birmingham University, Nottingham or Leeds (any particular thoughts on these cities/universities?)
Lell
I would say most people here are nice, decent people but there is a (loud)minority of stuck up morons (I couldn't give a percentage but they are prominent). Don't rule Durham out because of them, they are irritating but it shouldn't ruin your time here as most people are nice and don't care about people's backgrounds or how much money daddy earned last year.

If you have any questions about Durham feel free to ask me:smile:

are they restricted to particular colleges/courses
Reply 15
Mr_Steve_Stifler
Alright, I knew that Durham has a deserved bad reputation because I visited it myself and my teacher (who went there) didn't have the greatest opinion of the so called 'rahs' to say the least.

I'm thinking about going to KCL, UCL, Birmingham University, Nottingham or Leeds (any particular thoughts on these cities/universities?)

Deserved bad reputation? One (well two) swallows does not make a summer. I have had NO issues at Durham.

Deserved reputation? Bugger off...
St Andrews, everyone who goes there is Prince William, don't you know.
wallflower*

:biggrin:
Reply 18
Imperial
Reply 19
wallflower*

Nonsense old girl - I don't like being put in the same bracket as that teutonic inbred. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending