Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    It's not that suprising seeing as how it was the most comprehensive list of British Universities I could find in 5 mins.
    Looking around me, either a list of Pot Noodle ingredients or the sex lines from the back of Razzle would be the most comprehensive list of British Universities I could find in 5 mins.

ReputationRep:
    ull be sound in university of bangor wales!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Queens in Belfast is pretty bad. I went for an open day last year and they never mentioned the students achievements once. It was all "We are so Great, and We Love the Fact that we are so Great and if you aren't as Great as us then we don't want to know because we really are so Great."
    They're not actually that great though!

ReputationRep:
    just because someone goes to oxbridge it doesnt make them snobby, a snob is someone who shows off because of their class e.g. money etc
    but people at oxbridge arent like that in fact I thought being at uni meant you were generally strapped for cash,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Withoutadoubt)
    Looking around me, either a list of Pot Noodle ingredients or the sex lines from the back of Razzle would be the most comprehensive list of British Universities I could find in 5 mins.
    Amateur. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think we have a snob!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gooner)
    From what I've heard and seen, Cambridge is extremely snobby. Durham is known for its rahs, but I think sometimes this whole rah business can be blown out of proportion to make it seem as though every other person at Durham habitually asks mummy and daddy for an advance on their weekly allowance:p:
    Yeah. I think people will make a broad assumption that a university student with a higher than average amount of middle class students tend to be more snobbish. The amount of times I hear about, "Mummy and daddy take us everywhere in the car. I can't read a map" and other such annoyances frustrate me seriously.

ReputationRep:
    If by snobs you mean people who genuinely look down on others due to class and money, instead of people that many people on TSR would apparently unfairly dismiss as being a posh ***** on the basis of their clothes*, schooling and accent - despite the fact they are probably lovely - there are relatively few at most universities.

Besides, complete rahs tend to stick to themselves, so unless they make up more than 50% of your year (unlikely...very unlikely...you'd be extremely unlucky if it's more than 10%) it's really not a problem if a group of people decide to snob around by themselves. Just talk to everyone else.

*that said, people who wears pyjamas to lectures and haven't genuinely just gotten out of bed deserve all they get. You berks. I know you spent ages ruffling your hair. AND WHO WEARS FLIP FLOPS IN WINTER?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Really? I guess it's just so they can tell people that they study at Oxford -- without altogether lying.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what it is myself.
    Most of them were Art History students too, and wore pyjamas to lectures :p:

ReputationRep:
    I was talking to some of the Sociology staff at my school and they asked what my choices were and I was like "I've decided on Manchester as my firm and i'm thinking either Durham or York as my Insurance" and they were like "DON'T go to Durham!!!"
    I can imagine it's full of Oxbridge rejects lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Yeah. I think people will make a broad assumption that a university student with a higher than average amount of middle class students tend to be more snobbish. The amount of times I hear about, "Mummy and daddy take us everywhere in the car. I can't read a map" and other such annoyances frustrate me seriously.
    :rofl: Well I can't read a map...does that make me a typical Durham rah? I should hope not...it just goes to show how utterly dim I am:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy_J)
    Of course not. Why do you think I hate the vile elitist *******s?
    interesting masquerade. which oxbridge uni were you rejected from then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    Deserved bad reputation? One (well two) swallows does not make a summer. I have had NO issues at Durham.

Deserved reputation? Bugger off...
    Yes, but you're called Charles and your facebook profile pics contain - I'm checking - 4 of you in white tie, 3 of you in black tie, 2 of you in 'normal' suits and 1 of you naked in a Jacuzzi! You beat the rahs at their own game (and we love you for it!)

But yes, go Durham! Leading the Rah-ratings as usual. Good times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wez)
    Yes, but you're called Charles and your facebook profile pics contain - I'm checking - 4 of you in white tie, 3 of you in black tie, 2 of you in 'normal' suits and 1 of you naked in a Jacuzzi! You beat the rahs at their own game (and we love you for it!)

But yes, go Durham! Leading the Rah-ratings as usual. Good times.
    :rofl:

pwned

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: Well I can't read a map...does that make me a typical Durham rah? I should hope not...it just goes to show how utterly dim I am:p:
    I guess it depends on your upbringing and how independent you are able to be. My brother's ex was given money from her dad on a consistent basis that she's a useless potato couch who needs to sign on the dole and get a job. I think the culture of today is all about convenience and the such. I had a traditional experience when I was a young scout and still keep to many of the practices. Might sound sad but I never really thought highly of the national curriculum. I should have gone to Madagascar when I was 16 to watch the eclipse and go exploring on my own but never bothered getting a passport. My parents were fine with me doing this though. I intend on exploring the arctic north of Canada though, Queen Elizabeth Islands especially.

My point is that, generally, the middle class students tend to have affluent backgrounds that mean they have more financial security, which in turn, means that this expenditure can be used to buy convenience, such as getting mummy and daddy to give you a left left, right and centre or buying a "Sat Nav' when maps can do etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JointVenture)
    From what i've seen Bristol and Exeter are all Oxbridge rejects with chips on their shoulders
    :ditto:

Graveyard of private schooled Oxbridge rejects, along with Durham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JointVenture)
    From what i've seen Bristol and Exeter are all Oxbridge rejects with chips on their shoulders
    i wouldn't say "all", but i'm certainly with you regarding the "not oxbridge" syndrome that does the rounds, leading to a pretentious and exaggerated snobby attitude

ReputationRep:
    I think some people are getting confused as to what snobbery is. Someone is a snob when they look down on others. A university that is full of rahs isn't necessarily the snobbiest, because just cos there are rich, posh etc people there doesn't mean they think they are better than anyone else. Surely if you've all got into that university you're all equal intelligence-wise and so there's nothing really to feel superior or inferior about. All the rahs could have above normal people is that they are richer, but whose money is it? Their fathers'? We're adults now, your parents can't bail you out forever, so who cares who has rich parents and who doesn't.
    I'd have thought the SNOBBIEST universities would be those where the entry grades differ a lot. Somewhere where people can get in with high grades and fairly low grades. Places like Oxbridge, Durham, Bristol etc demand high grades, and so everyone going there will all need to be intelligent so there shouldn't really be much snobbery. However at universities where there will be more of a mix of grades, I'd have thought people with higher grades may be a bit snobby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystaltears)
    I was talking to some of the Sociology staff at my school and they asked what my choices were and I was like "I've decided on Manchester as my firm and i'm thinking either Durham or York as my Insurance" and they were like "DON'T go to Durham!!!"
    I can imagine it's full of Oxbridge rejects lol!
    I don't understand why that's such a bad thing tbh. It just means that they are people who were intelligent enough to be able to apply to Oxbridge but either didn't get through the interview or didn't get their grades. Just means they are very intelligent, more intelligent than most students but not quite Oxbridge level.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah same here.

And my mum and dad take me everywhere in the car because I suck at driving tests. :mad:

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.