Turn on thread page Beta

How Often is Too Often? watch

Announcements

How often is too often for going for an STI test? I got one in April, and came back clean, and so did the guy that I was with... but I've got reason to believe he wasn't faithful, so I'm worried he might have caught something and passed it on (I'm on the pill). So how often would be too often? I don't want them thinking that I'm a complete **** or anything! Or should I make him go for one instead?

ReputationRep:
    I'd just go! Sod what other people think, this is your health!

ReputationRep:
    No such thing as too often as long as you aren't in there every day. Your health is more important than whether some nurse thinks you're a slapper (which they won't, and if anything turning up there shows you are being responsible). Making him go for one sounds like a bad idea as it amounts to accusing him straight out of cheating on you. And if you're taking that route, you'd be better off talking about whether he's cheated on you first in a tactful kind of way rather than just declaring he's got to go and be tested! Also if you go yourself, you'll be more sure that you're ok, as if he is a man of less than perfect character as implied by his cheating, there's a chance he could lie to you about the result, or say he's been tested when he hasn't.

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming you're still always using protection i.e. condoms if you're with a guy you can't even trust to be faithful. That's before even questionning the fact that you're sleeping with such a guy (whatever makes you happy :rolleyes:).

ReputationRep:
    4 months is quite a gap really.

I've spoken to sex health professionals before - they won't remember you or care much. They get 'regulars' who come in every month, although they could save resources by using protection. Lady I was speaking to was proud she could do a guy's full test, blood and everything in 7 minutes - didn't let them sit down. (She stressed that she only did this with the frequent fliers though, she spoke to everyone else, because she thought it was really important to put people at their ease and make sure they know what they're doing and so forth.)

EDIT: I meant 'not care' as in 'not judge' - they care about your wellbeing and are generally nice!

ReputationRep:
    Better to be safe than sorry

Well, I used to trust him, and he got the test at the same time as me, so I was pretty confident that we were fine. But now rumours are flying around, I've stopped sleeping with him obviously, and told him that I don't want to see him again until this is completely sorted again.

Last time I went, she told me that to be on the safe side I should come back for another HIV test (or something like that) because it takes 3 months for the antibodies to show. So I guess its cool. Either that, or wait for a few weeks and go to a GUM clinic at my uni town

ReputationRep:
    I go every six months or so, if there's even the slightest chance I might have anything. Just to be on the safe side, like, I'd feel terrible if I gave someone an STI!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxstace123xx)
    Better to be safe than sorry
    Who cares about how often you go? They're not gonna mind. It's better to find out & get treatment if you need it than let it affect your health, your relationships and means you don't have to worry about passing anything on, if you do.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.