Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    At university I'm wanting to join the lacrosse team but am worried all my team mates will be size 8s etc and people wil think "what the hell is she doing" when I turn up to practise?

I'm a size 14 and so bigger than most. I know sports aren't only for the thin (and obviously I realise the more sports you do, in general the thinner you shall be etc) but am worried I will be the biggest on the team and laughed at.

Am I being paranoid?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    You are being paranoid, to be honest, and anyone sly enough to take the mick out of you being size 14 (not that big at all really)... whack them with your lacrosse stick.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be so daft, a size 14 is not fat, and as long as you know you'll be up to the fitness challenges involved in sport (which some size 8-10s aren't, I'm slim but SO unfit, whereas I know people who are size 16 can run twice as far as me, twice as fast, so don't think fitness is sizist).

Go for it, and prove preconceptions wrong!!!

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry, you can always just sit on them if they try insulting you.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about clothes sizes in relation to body size but 14 doesn't strike me as very big at all and definitely not fat. Anyway that aside - I would hope most uni students would be more mature than to insult team-mates by calling them fat.

ReputationRep:
    "You're fat! Ha!"
    "Meh :dontknow: I can lose weight, you'll always be ****ing ugly"
    *Whack with a lacrosse stick and walk away*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EducatingBrogan)
    Don't be so daft, a size 14 is not fat, and as long as you know you'll be up to the fitness challenges involved in sport (which some size 8-10s aren't, I'm slim but SO unfit, whereas I know people who are size 16 can run twice as far as me, twice as fast, so don't think fitness is sizist).

completely agree with your post,

and may i add that i absolutely adore your sig!!!

ReputationRep:
    Defo not fat anyway stop worrying. Heck my size 20 cuz doesnt get this piss taken out of her...why the hell shoulf you.

ReputationRep:
    i think you're being paranoid to be honest.
    just go and have fun
    and break some skulls.

ReputationRep:
    size 14 aint fat and theres me thinking you were size 24 or something!....you need to get a life...the only advice i can give you is to learn to love yourself!!

From when you start to love yourself then you can be more confident and if people start to laugh at you, you can then fight back rather then go and cry in the corner

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EducatingBrogan)

I totally agree with this!!!!
    Its so true , weight etc is not anything to do with fitness im sure... I also know people who are disgustly thin who are faster than me etc and people who are larger!! Sooo Just express yourself and do the lacrosssss!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by {City17})
    Size 14 is a little bigger than average I would say. Have people laughed at you in the past?
    The world is so variable, that im quite sure nobody knows the average.

And if you look at some statistics, i think youl find that around size 14 is the most average size.

ReputationRep:
    Somebody who is a healthy size 14 is probably more useful on a lacrosse team than a size 8.

ReputationRep:
    I know a couple of girls who are probably around size 14s who were on our uni lacrosse team

ReputationRep:
    You could always "accidently" knock them down during the game:yep:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.