How difficult do you reckon it would be for me to set up a choral group? Watch

lazza
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
At Uni of Westminster?

We have no orchestras or anything to join. And to be honest my flute doesn't come to uni with me anyway because I don't want it nicked!! (I only live the other side of the river than my home anyway)

But I really want to get back into being in a choir because I'm so out of practice. I just think it would be really fun, and if it was audition only say, then we could actually be pretty good. But I often feel like such a loser thinking like this!!
ArchedEdge
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm surprised to hear that there's no choir or orchestras to join! I thought all unis had them!

But you'll need to find people who'd be interested first, set times, get rehearsal rooms, sheet music etc.

But it's not hard so much as time-consuming! Good luck!
lazza
Rep:
?
There's absolutely nothing. Our uni is full of societies of race or religion it seems.

I never used to be bad at things like this at school or on my foundation, but just at westminster I don't feel like I fit in AT ALL!

And cause we're not a UOL uni I can't join any of their stuff

There must be one in the Camden area...

Do you reckon if I stuck up posters and started up a facebook group might be the best way to get word around?
grace_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
British Choirs on the Net will have a list of choirs near where you live if you'd rather join someone else's!
http://www.choirs.org.uk/home.htm
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeah,

in my experiences, a lot of uni societies are more about the social than the performing art itself so if you wanna take it seriously and meet a broader pool of people then i deffo recommend looking further afield than uni

most of my mates are outside of uni coz the SU doesn't really do anything for me and i love it

good luck
lazza
Rep:
?
that list is brilliant! will have a proper look through the london one tomorrow. Some ask for ridiculous fees though!!

If only I was at a UOL college....
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You should definitely try. Ask round your friends and start up a Facebook group. Advertise it a bit, find a good time to showcase whatever/whoever you've got and hopefully that'll entice more people to join!

I'm doing something similar when I go back, because I really want to try and set up a popular music choir
elphie_glinda
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not at uni but I've just started a choir within my house at school and I'm wondering what the hell I've just let myself in for!
grace_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lazza)
that list is brilliant! will have a proper look through the london one tomorrow. Some ask for ridiculous fees though!!

If only I was at a UOL college....
A lot of them will have discounts if you're a student - if you audition/are accepted and then say you're a student then I think they will probably have reduced fees!
Did you find anything you liked in the end?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.59%
No (670)
60.74%
Not really bothered about them (228)
20.67%

Watched Threads