The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Internet access at Kent?

My question is regarding the internet access restrictions. I read that we are forbidden to use torrent download programs, we can't play online games and we can't even use download managers(I personally use a download manager for every file i get off the net). Is this really restricted, or is this just a way of scaring ppl from using torrents? Does anyone actually monitor the internet connections? Any comments would be great, mostly from ppl already going to Kent, who have already "been there, done that" :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
well they are suppose to open the ports for online gaming this september its somewhere on the kent website
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
I wonder if they do actually monitor it or there is a way to get around it...er, not sure. But I hope downloading is somehow allowed.
Reply 3
speaking of internet connection...the houses/flats we live in ..do we have wireless internet connections?? *hopeful smile*
Reply 4
For starters, torrents/other peer to peer wouldn't work well as the inbound ports are blocked. Secondly, I'm fairly sure they do actively check (it's not hard). One option (the one I'm going for) is to get a remote box for torrenting (google for seedbox) and then transfer the completed files over using SSH/SSL so that it's encrypted. The one method for downloading stuff aside from this that 'should' work is Rapidshare and such sites, as they probably don't block these sites.

With regards to the wireless connections, they only mention wireless for Beverley Farmhouse and seem to mention using a network cable (which it seems to imply is supplied) to connect. http://www.kent.ac.uk/is/computing/sbs/connection.html

Edit: Part of the helpdesk thing says that wireless networking isn't permitted in study bedrooms, so you wouldn't just be able to use a wireless access point/router to get wireless either.
Reply 5
Damn thats annoying...I've been wireless for ages now, and with a laptop its so much easier than stupid wires.
Reply 6
my sis goes to kent and she uses frostwire
Reply 7
I've had no problems downloading torrents, nobody has sent me a warning and it's been as fast as I've needed. However, I did do the majority of mah downloading after about six and usually turned it off when I woke up (so three in the afternoon, usually), so as to not be using the tubes when most other people were.

Cables cables cables. There's a cable connection in every room, but wireless internet is available in some of the bars, the study areas, the library and perhaps some of the lecture rooms and classrooms.

One problem of the Internet, though, is YouTube. It takes an age for it to load videos, although a workaround is to use the "Watch in High Quality" option, which speeds down the interbutts.
everyone should just chip in for a rapidshare account, everything thats torrent is typically on warez-bb.org and you get such fast downloads, at canterbury college last year i was downloading bluray quality (720p not 1080 as that wouldnt work on my laptop) in an hour, although it was tedious as it was broken in to 43 pieces :eek: but a dvd would take you (on the university network) about 5 mins or less lol!!!
Reply 9
My friend had a wireless router in his Tyler B room last year, for his Wii and his laptop. Never got in trouble for it at all. I'm going to take one anyway, and use it until i'm told otherwise!
Reply 10
Kalby
My friend had a wireless router in his Tyler B room last year, for his Wii and his laptop. Never got in trouble for it at all. I'm going to take one anyway, and use it until i'm told otherwise!

was your friend able to play his wii online?? because i'm bringing my xbxo360 wwith me so i hope xbox live works
Reply 11
justinkoo
was your friend able to play his wii online?? because i'm bringing my xbxo360 wwith me so i hope xbox live works

Yes mate he could, i'm bringing my 360 too. Gonna be many hours of drunken Rock Band :smile:
Reply 12
Kalby
Yes mate he could, i'm bringing my 360 too. Gonna be many hours of drunken Rock Band :smile:

oh sweet you have rock band its awesome!!!! me and my bro rock out all the time too bad i can't bring it with me too much stuff to bring. so what kinda games you play?
Reply 13
Hi guys , im taking a 360 too , although there were a lot of restrictions on the internet last year, in september they are 'relaxing it' , you never know xbox live might work. Im starting in september aswel btw doing computer science ( i think a couple of u are doing the same course ?) anyway , looking forward to meetin ya in a few weeks
Reply 14
Yeah im on the computer science course :smile: are you doing the year in industry as well?
Reply 15
currently no year in industry but i might get that changed at some point , see how i feel once ive started the course
Reply 16
I was originally down just to do the 3 years normal course, about halfway through my open day, with all the things they were telling us about it. It seemed like there was no benefit to not doing it! Hopefully you'll change to doing it buddy, and you get to prolong the uni experience by another year :smile:
Reply 17
yeh thats true and they do have good connections with decent companies, and the extra money would come in handy from a salary... , i am possibly too lazy to work atm lol but i can definately see the benefits
Do they provide wires or do you have to bring them? Will it be an ethernet lead?:confused:

Hmm... It seems I've been wireless so long I've forgotten the little I knew about wired connections. I'll have to get me a regular non-wireless network card as well.
markstuart44
Do they provide wires or do you have to bring them? Will it be an ethernet lead?:confused:

Hmm... It seems I've been wireless so long I've forgotten the little I knew about wired connections. I'll have to get me a regular non-wireless network card as well.

I *think* they provide one for free, they hint towards that on part of the site anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending