isra123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Can I have some example questions on medicine and ethics?
falah.b
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi one of the medical interview example questions I have seen is:
If there is a 45 year-old mother of two who is in desperate need of a heart transplant, and a 20 year-old man with a smoking addiction who also needs the organ transplant badly, who should receive it?
dxnixl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by falah.b)
Hi one of the medical interview example questions I have seen is:
If there is a 45 year-old mother of two who is in desperate need of a heart transplant, and a 20 year-old man with a smoking addiction who also needs the organ transplant badly, who should receive it?
How would you go about answering this?

I'd say that the mother should receive it as she's responsible for the welfare of children (assuming the children are under 18)?
However, if the 2 children are in fact over 18 and dependent, then they don't need to rely on the mother for a positive life, and so the 20-year old should receive it (as long as he quits smoking, and uses alternative therapy to escape the habit).
falah.b
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by dxnixl)
How would you go about answering this?

I'd say that the mother should receive it as she's responsible for the welfare of children (assuming the children are under 18)?
However, if the 2 children are in fact over 18 and dependent, then they don't need to rely on the mother for a positive life, and so the 20-year old should receive it (as long as he quits smoking, and uses alternative therapy to escape the habit).
You answered it very similarly to how I did! But you have to weigh up at least 2-3 of the pros and cons of each individual, try to remain unbiased against people with addictions or antisocial behaviours, which can be a bit difficult at face-value.
Mother pros:
if her children are below the age of 18, she is responsible for their welfare, therefore choosing her would help to improve 3 lives instead of just 1 - this is an example of maximising benefits (beneficence)
She is not a smoker and therefore is likely to live more QUALLYs (quality-adjusted life years) due to the fact that her daily behaviour is not as damaging to her body as the smoker's is

Smoker pros:
The mother is older than the 20 year-old, and if the smoker eventually curbs his addiction, he could potentially live more QUALLYs than her.
You haven't been given any information on the smoker's family situation, so don't assume that he isn't responsible for caring for someone dependent too. Basically try to avoid all bias and explore the situation
Hope this helps!
dxnixl
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You answered it very similarly to how I did! But you have to weigh up at least 2-3 of the pros and cons of each individual, try to remain unbiased against people with addictions or antisocial behaviours, which can be a bit difficult at face-value.
Mother pros:
if her children are below the age of 18, she is responsible for their welfare, therefore choosing her would help to improve 3 lives instead of just 1 - this is an example of maximising benefits (beneficence)
She is not a smoker and therefore is likely to live more QUALLYs (quality-adjusted life years) due to the fact that her daily behaviour is not as damaging to her body as the smoker's is

Smoker pros:
The mother is older than the 20 year-old, and if the smoker eventually curbs his addiction, he could potentially live more QUALLYs than her.
You haven't been given any information on the smoker's family situation, so don't assume that he isn't responsible for caring for someone dependent too. Basically try to avoid all bias and explore the situation
Hope this helps!
This is the first ethics interview question I've answered so I'm pretty happy AHAHA

Thanks
falah.b
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by dxnixl)
This is the first ethics interview question I've answered so I'm pretty happy AHAHA

Thanks
Wow that's impressive! Good luck with your EPQ
dxnixl
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Wow that's impressive! Good luck with your EPQ
I’m not doing the EPQ on ethics (i’m not OP) I was just curious- but thanks
fayeelw
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey! My medicine EPQ was titled, 'To what extent can organoids be used to develop understanding of and therapeutics for cancer and genetic disorders: an investigation into Glioblastoma Multiforme and Cystic Fibrosis'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.12%
No - I have already returned home (23)
13.86%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.04%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
24.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed