Mill Hall Watch

Niraj28
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey

I got a room allocated on the ground floor, room 83 or some dont really remember, going to be studying Multimedia Design and technology. I have been reading up on Mill Hall, and is it really as bad as some people make it out to be?

do you think if i call them they could change rooms or are they useally full?
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Niraj28)
Hey

I got a room allocated on the ground floor, room 83 or some dont really remember, going to be studying Multimedia Design and technology. I have been reading up on Mill Hall, and is it really as bad as some people make it out to be?

Is it also true that no girls are allowed on the ground floor due to some crazy health and safety rules?
No girls on the ground floor of any hall, because intruders could break into the windows and rape them during the night. All windows have alarms on them anyway, as far as I'm aware.
Scipio_Africanus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
No girls on the ground floor of any hall, because intruders could break into the windows and rape them during the night. All windows have alarms on them anyway, as far as I'm aware.
Lol, you must be joking?:rofl:
Niraj28
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
What about Mill Hall itself? I heard its not a good place to stay. If its not do you think its possable for me be able to change halls, i guess i could try to email them... but is it as bad as people say it is or its fine after a while..
andy_1989
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Niraj28)
What about Mill Hall itself? I heard its not a good place to stay. If its not do you think its possible for me be able to change halls, i guess i could try to email them... but is it as bad as people say it is or its fine after a while..
I was ground floor in Mill Hall last year, I'm not gonna lie, at first I was pissed off but I got use to it and I had the best time there, people are more sociable as the corridors are open.

When it comes to actually studying you're gonna need to get out of there though because it's too loud, people blasting music etc. It's the scummiest hall and when you see your mates in the new nice halls you will feel jealous, but it's seriously not as bad as it first seems trust me.
sooki
Report 10 years ago
was really scummy
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Some stupid French girl in my corridoor kept playing her music far far too loud, and the doors to everyone's rooms vibrated in the door frames because of it.

There is no getting away from anyone, as it's totally communal, which is a good or bad thing, depending on your point of view.

It's probably bearable if you're 18, maybe not so for mature students. I couldn't imagine a 50 yr old coping, let's put it that way.
sooki
Report 10 years ago
haha yesss i agree im actually classd as a mature student 2 and i found it unbearable i was like the grumpy old woman in my corridor hated the noise cudnt even study there which is a big downfall everythin echos... fair enuff it might be the lively but when ur in exam period u dont really want that
Gabriel91
Report 9 years ago
anyone agree with these comments, has it changed for the better in the past year?
and is it possible to change rooms into another building?
Charlski
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Gabriel91)
anyone agree with these comments, has it changed for the better in the past year?
and is it possible to change rooms into another building?

I had friends who lived in Mill last year, and it was so loud. This isn't to say that the other halls aren't loud though.

The other major problem seemed to be food going missing. Because it's not arranged into flats, it's easy enough for people to walk into the kitchens there and walk off with whatever takes their fancy.
annie12188
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yea it is realli bad. I stayed there in 1st year n it was sooo loud. Fire alarms went off all the time around 3.30am most nights and music was blaring out all night. I had to complain at 1 point because at 3.30am the person below me had his music blaring out sooo loud n cudnt sleep
Amz_1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by annie12188)
yea it is realli bad. I stayed there in 1st year n it was sooo loud. Fire alarms went off all the time around 3.30am most nights and music was blaring out all night. I had to complain at 1 point because at 3.30am the person below me had his music blaring out sooo loud n cudnt sleep
OMG AT FIRST I WAS REALLY EXCITED TO BE ALLOCATED A HALL!!!! WHAT IS THIS?!?!?!?! IT SOUNDS LIKE A HELL HOLE :'(

sadtimes sadtimes
deshi55
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've not been able to apply for accommodation yet as my place has only just been confirmed. After reading what people have said about Mill Hall (and it seems as though it's about the only one with vacancies) I might start looking into sharing a house off campus.

Most universities seem to have a page dedicated to students posting about spare rooms etc. but I can't seem to find anything like that for Brunel. Any advice?
annie12188
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Amz_1)
OMG AT FIRST I WAS REALLY EXCITED TO BE ALLOCATED A HALL!!!! WHAT IS THIS?!?!?!?! IT SOUNDS LIKE A HELL HOLE :'(

sadtimes sadtimes
its crazy.. probs the worst and 1 of the oldest halls 2 b in... Was a nightmare... bt hopefully it shouldnt b too bad
nerys3000
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My friend was there last year and LOVED it!!!! Made SO many good friends!!!! I stayed there as a guest in the early summer and yes, it is very very friendly and the room was ok too - small, but you can make it your own with stuff from home
Amz_1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nerys3000)
My friend was there last year and LOVED it!!!! Made SO many good friends!!!! I stayed there as a guest in the early summer and yes, it is very very friendly and the room was ok too - small, but you can make it your own with stuff from home
thanks for the postive review makes me feel better x x x
El Torres
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
is mill hall the only one left then? im applying now and sayin i dont want it.
Amz_1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by El Torres)
is mill hall the only one left then? im applying now and sayin i dont want it.
yeh its the only ensuite left, but its not even as bad as people make out. its just because its one of the older ones so people obviously PREFER the newer ones, but its not to say its terrible!!!! after researching ive realised its what you make it. noise is somthing that cannot be avoided, ant infestation can be solved with ant killer and as far as fire alarms go this happens at every uni!

you would rather have the uni experience than live at home and miss out student life ??
El Torres
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
honestly i dont care now. any place is fine by me with all this hassle. the last thing i can do is stay at home with it being two hours away.
Amz_1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by El Torres)
honestly i dont care now. any place is fine by me with all this hassle. the last thing i can do is stay at home with it being two hours away.
EXACTLYYY!!!! WAHEEYYY SEE YOU AT FRESHERRRRSSSSSSS
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (200)
18.74%
No (649)
60.82%
Not really bothered about them (218)
20.43%

Watched Threads