Bazookatron21
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I received the accommodation email today and I'm thinking of applying to Pembridge, Wilson and Southside Halls. Do you guys know if pembridge is as bad people say? There's no pictures on the imperial website and I've only seen a couple on google images. I'm also considering an alternative to Southside Halls since it's too expensive for my student loan budget, but the only cheap options are standard rooms (non-ensuit). Anyone that lived in a standard single, how was it? Initially I really wanted to avoid it but I might not have a choice.

I'm looking for anything under £230 a week. Also don't wanna be too far away from the Uni like Xenia or Woodward because I live in London only an hour's tube journey away so it'd be a waste. I'm only considering accommodation cuz so many ppl recommended it to me and said I gotta experience at least first year living at Uni. It'll be great to hear opinions on that as well since I haven't made up my mind yet.
Thanks
igof1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Pembridge is pretty bad, but if you only live an hour away I would consider just living at home this year; going into second year we've been told we'll only be on campus around 1 day a week.

It is harder to make friends I guess but the best for that is woodward from my experience
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Pembridge gained a bit of notoriety because of a rat problem in 2018-19 but since then I haven't heard anything about that. There are more images available if you go on Google maps, too.
I will say don't discount Woodward too soon, it's not that far to commute (at least, it was quicker than going to school was) and it's definitely got the best facilities and social scene.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
https://360-visit.imperial.ac.uk/are...pembridge-hall

Here's photos of Pembridge^^

I lived there this year, and it was actually quite nice—the facilities aren't the best but they're definitely usable, and a healthy 25 minute walk through Hyde Park is always nice. Didn't have a rat problem, small <100 person community is probably the best part of Pembridge (though I guess that might be limited b/c of COVID...)
Bazookatron21
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
https://360-visit.imperial.ac.uk/are...pembridge-hall

Here's photos of Pembridge^^

I lived there this year, and it was actually quite nice—the facilities aren't the best but they're definitely usable, and a healthy 25 minute walk through Hyde Park is always nice. Didn't have a rat problem, small <100 person community is probably the best part of Pembridge (though I guess that might be limited b/c of COVID...)
Woah this is super helpful thanks a lot. The pembridge rooms seem bigger than most of the other ones (less narrow), although the common room pretty dull. But for the price I'm definitely chosing it as one of my 5.
Did most ppl you know get one of their 5 accommodation options or were there a few ppl who were randomly allocated somewhere else?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bazookatron21)
Woah this is super helpful thanks a lot. The pembridge rooms seem bigger than most of the other ones (less narrow), although the common room pretty dull. But for the price I'm definitely chosing it as one of my 5.
Did most ppl you know get one of their 5 accommodation options or were there a few ppl who were randomly allocated somewhere else?
Do keep in mind that the Pembridge rooms vary a lot more in layout than in the other halls! Though I think the one in the virtual tour is just about the average size. There's also a games room (which iirc is not in the 360 tour) which has a pool table and a ping pong table, and people tend to hang out there a lot, especially for pres and such. There's also a patio/garden area in the rear of the building, as well as a bike shed.

Also, healthy disclaimer: there's only 2 kitchens for 100 ish people (reduced to ~80 b/c of covid), but I personally didn't have much trouble getting a hob for myself to use. I say that only because I'm not sure how social distancing will affect how 40 people will share a kitchen (lol).

It was one of my 5 choices, and I think most people get one of their 5 choices more or less. As you said there are some exceptions, but I wouldn't be too worried.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.62%
Okay (86)
29.55%
A bit lacking (105)
36.08%
Not good at all (72)
24.74%

Watched Threads