Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Heya

Was just wondering if there was anyone on here who used the two systems to apply for both Universities and Music Conservatoires because I had a couple of questions that weren't covered on the FAQ's on the CUKAS page... and tbh my tutors at college aren't too up to speed about it either!

Mainly, because they're two totally separate systems, do I have to submit the same details to each? Namely, does my personal statement have to be the same for CUKAS as it does for UCAS? Because all my problems would be solved if it doesn't!!!

Also if you applied for CUKAS, did you get accepted anywhere? Do you have any tips or advice etc etc.... I'm the only person in my College applying to Music Colleges (out of like 1800) and I'm finding people with experience in the area hard to come by!

Thankyou for any advice and help!!!
    Oliver

ReputationRep:
    Well, basically, yeah. Just submit the same stuff. I assume you're applying to read Music at uni too, although you might want to focus a bit more on your practical music in the CUKAS PS and your academics in the UCAS.

I got accepted everywhere with both Practise hard for your auditions and make sure that you are competent for both - the academic interviews are actually a bit tougher to prepare for because you don't know quite what to expect. Read lots, listen to lots and think lots!

Hope this helps - I seem to have received some -ve rep for my help in the past!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olivermc)
    Heya

Was just wondering if there was anyone on here who used the two systems to apply for both Universities and Music Conservatoires because I had a couple of questions that weren't covered on the FAQ's on the CUKAS page... and tbh my tutors at college aren't too up to speed about it either!

Mainly, because they're two totally separate systems, do I have to submit the same details to each? Namely, does my personal statement have to be the same for CUKAS as it does for UCAS? Because all my problems would be solved if it doesn't!!!

Also if you applied for CUKAS, did you get accepted anywhere? Do you have any tips or advice etc etc.... I'm the only person in my College applying to Music Colleges (out of like 1800) and I'm finding people with experience in the area hard to come by!

Oliver
    Your personal statement on CUKAS can be completely different to your one on UCAS. I helped my ex with his applications, so I may be able to shed some light on them I think it's pretty cool that you can apply for music on one system, and either stick with music on UCAS, or apply for something totally different!

Did your music teacher at college not go to a conservatoire? I'm sure they'd have a few contacts who'd be able to explain more thoroughly how the auditions work, give you some advice etc
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by olivermc)
    Heya

Oliver
    Hiya! I applied for both and had different personal statements for the two systems (well, they were quite similar, but I put more performance-related stuff into the CUKAS one, plus the one I submitted on the separate form to the RAM).

I got into Trinity but not into the RCM or the RAM (though tbh, I didn't expect to get into any of them!)

I got zilch help from my school (apart from their reference... after severe nagging and doing this :woo: on various occasions). PM if you have anymore questions

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I am a student from the Philippines currently on my third year at a university. I decided to study at UK and enter at year 1 (I went to a local university to get music subjects). I have been studying piano for about 8 years now and I think I have a decent over all repertoire.

Here are my choices (in order of preference):
    CUKAS: Royal welsh, Trinity, Royal Scottish, Brimingham (all auditioning by DVD/recording)
    UCAS: London College of Music, Royal Holloway, Goldsmiths, Cardiff, Sheffield

I desperately need a scholarship. I know that for UK conservatoires, they give entrance scholarships based on audition, however, on Universities, I am struggling to find any scholarships available especially aGoldsmiths.

any thoughts on this? Really need opinions right now.

also my audition pieces for the conservatoires are:
    Bach- Prelude and Fugue no. 12 in f minor BWV 881 WTC II
    Schumann- Sonata no. 2 op. 22 in g minor 1st mov
    Brahms- Rhapsody op. 79 no. 1
    Chopin- Nocturne op. 27 no. 2 (not sure to include this, but yeah, whatever lol)

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.