Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, I've signed up to do the Great North Run on the 5th of October and have been for the last year almost. I'm running for bowel cancer uk and I've lost 25kg training and raised about £1000.

However, I just found out this week from Oxford that they want me to be in residence on the 5th of October.

Now, I am based in Scotland and I know Newcastle is going to be very busy, so I don't think it's sensible to try and do the run and then drive from Newcastle to Oxford, with all the freshers stuff planned.

The way I see it, I have three options:

a) just do it - and just go with whatever happens, even if it means a ropey start to my Oxford career.
    b) pull out - do another half marathon with the sponsor money so nobody loses out.
    c) feign injury lol (not my style)

What would you (or Jesus) do?

Rep for solutions!

ReputationRep:
    I was going to suggest running from Newcastle to Oxford. But that's probably quite a long way :ninja: Plus it would be pretty hard to carry all your stuff. I bet you could make a lot more money if you did it though.

ReputationRep:
    Can you not just go to Oxford a day later? Explaining you have unavoidable committments that have been in place for a year?

Jesus would blatantly stop time and do both. And afterwoods he wouldn't take any alcohol to fresher's week...only bottled water and then... Well the rest is pretty obvious. Why can't you just do that?

The Great North Run is in the morning. Could you not go do that and then later on continue down to Oxford? Getting to Oxford later than other people on the 5th won't be the worst thing in the world and its for a very good reason. Plus it'd be a good conversation starter...I'm late because I did the Great North Run on my way here sounds cool to me.

ReputationRep:
    What's this got to do with wee?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm Scottish. Wee = small, minor.

That's what I'm thinking HD, but I don't know how realistic it is with all the traffic and I don't want to strain my mother who's driving me!

ReputationRep:
    Are Oxford so up their own bums that they wouldn't make allowances if you told them the reason you couldn't get there on the 5th?

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's more the fact that I don't want to miss out/be disadvantaged for starting. I dunno...

ReputationRep:
    ring up. tell them that your doing the run. and that its a prior commitment. its a bloody good cause so i doubt that they could quite manage to be so arsey to deny you coming down a day late?!

ReputationRep:
    ring oxford and see if you can arrive on the 6th if not maybe jump on the train from newcastle central and get your parents to drop your stuff off the next day after the traffic has passed. I live very near newcastle and driving in the city on the day of the great north run is a big no no and will be worse this year with all the road works

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.