What are my chances to study philosophy as an English student at St Andrews

Watch this thread
Pjhg5566
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello to those interested,

I am looking to apply to read philosophy at the university of St Andrews for 2021/22 entry. I will be 20 years old when and if i do.

At A Level, i attained AAB in History,English Literature and German, which meets the requirements.

I have been reading copious amounts of books and papers to broaden my knowledge over this past year and i hope this will show in my personal statement. Any suggestions for something that may add some credit to a philosophy application?

I have also heard that some philosophy courses across the country are not very popular, in terms of applicants...is this true? If so, is there any way i may be able to search for my self at universities i am interested in applying to?

Does anyone have any experience with Philosophy at St Andrews and an application for this course? Any suggestions and advice for my application would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Don't know about St Andrews, but it sounds good enough.

Think carefully though, the job market is not willing to hire any humanities graduates, unless you apply to unskilled jobs like retail.
RedRobe
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Pjhg5566)
Hello to those interested,

I am looking to apply to read philosophy at the university of St Andrews for 2021/22 entry. I will be 20 years old when and if i do.

At A Level, i attained AAB in History,English Literature and German, which meets the requirements.

I have been reading copious amounts of books and papers to broaden my knowledge over this past year and i hope this will show in my personal statement. Any suggestions for something that may add some credit to a philosophy application?

I have also heard that some philosophy courses across the country are not very popular, in terms of applicants...is this true? If so, is there any way i may be able to search for my self at universities i am interested in applying to?

Does anyone have any experience with Philosophy at St Andrews and an application for this course? Any suggestions and advice for my application would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance
Hi. I’m a current UG philosophy student at st Andrews.

Philosophy is one of the most popular subjects on offer. It is also a world-renowned place to study Philosophy (its ranked 6th in the world for philosophy and in the past it was usually in top 10 in the world according to QS).

To be frank, though AAB meets the requirement, it isn’t strong enough to compete with other applicants. I achieved A*A*A, whilst others I know in my class achieved AAA - A*A*A*. The requirement shown is usually a minimum requirement. Unless you qualify as a ‘Gateway student’ or a Widening Access student, you are most likely to need a higher grade than AAB.

Having a really strong PS would help your application. Be passionate about your chosen subject. Sell yourself.

There’s nothing to lose. Just apply and hope for the best
Last edited by RedRobe; 1 year ago
RedRobe
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
Don't know about St Andrews, but it sounds good enough.

Think carefully though, the job market is not willing to hire any humanities graduates, unless you apply to unskilled jobs like retail.
Philosophy graduates are highly sought after by firms, especially in the business field ( especially in Consulting, finance, and Civil Service).
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RedRobe)
Philosophy graduates are highly sought after by firms, especially in the business field ( especially in Consulting, finance, and Civil Service).
Over 42% do boring jobs, like retail, working in construction, driving busses or basic office jobs.

Another very big part do jobs like marketing and HR, (to me even worse than the boring ones). I'd prefer to drive a lorry and listen to classical music from the radio whole day, than do something like this.

I used to know a person who graduated from sociology, and now works in IT for IBM, but this person worked very hard and for free during her studies, for different companies.

So nothing's impossible, but you need to do internships.
Though there are philosophy studies in the UK which are very mathematical, those migh really give some skills directly applicable to jobs in finance.
RedRobe
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
Over 42% do boring jobs, like retail, working in construction, driving busses or basic office jobs.

Another very big part do jobs like marketing and HR, (to me even worse than the boring ones). I'd prefer to drive a lorry and listen to classical music from the radio whole day, than do something like this.

I used to know a person who graduated from sociology, and now works in IT for IBM, but this person worked very hard and for free during her studies, for different companies.

So nothing's impossible, but you need to do internships.
Though there are philosophy studies in the UK which are very mathematical, those migh really give some skills directly applicable to jobs in finance.
I wonder where you managed to get hold of the data that says 'over 42% do boring jobs'.

The majority of Philosophy undergraduates from Oxbridge, St Andrews, and LSE have secured high profile jobs with extremely competitive salary offered by prestige firms. OP specifically asked about studying Philosophy at St Andrews.
loganwilson
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I know I’m late to this but I applied to at Andrews for philosophy with predicted grades A*A*A* but I am really worried that my GCSEs and personal statement will impact my application, is a lot of emphasis placed on GCSE grades and if so what should they be?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (92)
19.96%
The paper was reasonable (176)
38.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.81%
It was TERRIBLE (74)
16.05%

Watched Threads