PGDL at BPP and then onto LPC at the University of Law?

Watch
SpeckyDecky
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, so I am looking at doing a PGDL at BPP, as I have always planned on converting into law. I'm expecting to get a strong first for my undergraduate degree (BSc Public Services at the University of Plymouth). Well expecting isn't quite the right word, my aggregate grade has been 77% for the last 3 years and in my final year I achieved 85%-90% in several assignments.

The reason I ended up doing this degree is because I didn't do the best in my A Levels. I got CCDB in history, english lit, biology, and my epq (respectively). I struggled a lot in my further education, because I was working 30hrs a week as I had very little financial support from my parents (ie I was paying for food, rent, transport etc). Not much of an excuse now that I am use to working an excessive number of hours, but having very little support really did inhibit opportunities for me.

I have always wanted to become a legal officer in the RAF, and to do so I need to either get a TC with an LPC or possibly pursue the SQE route if the forces consider it to be viable in the future. I realise I need to resit my A Levels, because they will really restrict employability opportunities. I'm thinking of doing A Level Maths, Politics and History (again).

So, my plan is to do a part time PGDL through the BPP and do my A Levels at the same time. Then I would progress into doing a part time LPC LLM at the University of Law, as I am keen to study criminal law and to access any pro bono opportunities. This is alongside working as a paralegal and volunteering in citizens advice and as a listening samaritan , in addition to possibly an MSc in Criminology at a Russell Group. I know criminology doesn't have much utility on its own, but it has something I have always been really interested in and I will have the opportunity to "upgrade" my university.

How unrealistic am I being? Law has never been about the money to me, I have always been keen to get into the public services and actually be of service. The PGDL is eligible for postgraduate funding. I will work towards funding the MSc in Criminology and LPC LLM myself through a bank loan/ self-funding. Once I'm in the armed forces then paying off my loan will be my foremost priority. The MSc in Criminology is not a priority, but I would be really happy if I were able to do it. I found that I really excelled being at university, and I would like to progress down as many different avenues as possible to progress my education.

Am I being stupid? Do many people transfer from the BPP to the university of law? I appreciate my aspirations are not especially conventional, compared to most other prospective law students, but this is something I am really passionate about.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. By all means tell me I am being unrealistic, I would really appreciate any of your thoughts. I tried talking to my bf about it bless him, but he really couldn't care less, oh well.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SpeckyDecky)
Hello, so I am looking at doing a PGDL at BPP, as I have always planned on converting into law. I'm expecting to get a strong first for my undergraduate degree (BSc Public Services at the University of Plymouth). Well expecting isn't quite the right word, my aggregate grade has been 77% for the last 3 years and in my final year I achieved 85%-90% in several assignments.

The reason I ended up doing this degree is because I didn't do the best in my A Levels. I got CCDB in history, english lit, biology, and my epq (respectively). I struggled a lot in my further education, because I was working 30hrs a week as I had very little financial support from my parents (ie I was paying for food, rent, transport etc). Not much of an excuse now that I am use to working an excessive number of hours, but having very little support really did inhibit opportunities for me.

I have always wanted to become a legal officer in the RAF, and to do so I need to either get a TC with an LPC or possibly pursue the SQE route if the forces consider it to be viable in the future. I realise I need to resit my A Levels, because they will really restrict employability opportunities. I'm thinking of doing A Level Maths, Politics and History (again).

So, my plan is to do a part time PGDL through the BPP and do my A Levels at the same time. Then I would progress into doing a part time LPC LLM at the University of Law, as I am keen to study criminal law and to access any pro bono opportunities. This is alongside working as a paralegal and volunteering in citizens advice and as a listening samaritan , in addition to possibly an MSc in Criminology at a Russell Group. I know criminology doesn't have much utility on its own, but it has something I have always been really interested in and I will have the opportunity to "upgrade" my university.

How unrealistic am I being? Law has never been about the money to me, I have always been keen to get into the public services and actually be of service. The PGDL is eligible for postgraduate funding. I will work towards funding the MSc in Criminology and LPC LLM myself through a bank loan/ self-funding. Once I'm in the armed forces then paying off my loan will be my foremost priority. The MSc in Criminology is not a priority, but I would be really happy if I were able to do it. I found that I really excelled being at university, and I would like to progress down as many different avenues as possible to progress my education.

Am I being stupid? Do many people transfer from the BPP to the university of law? I appreciate my aspirations are not especially conventional, compared to most other prospective law students, but this is something I am really passionate about.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. By all means tell me I am being unrealistic, I would really appreciate any of your thoughts. I tried talking to my bf about it bless him, but he really couldn't care less, oh well.
To be quite blunt, I really can't see the point in you doing the MSc in Criminology if you wish to pursue a career in Law - the law firms who care about A level results will not overlook yours just because you have an MSc from a Russell group uni - they really won't. It would be a waste of money from that point of view (although I understand you would find it interesting) and you would be better off moving forwards and doing the PGDL at BPP immediately after your degree. As you seem to realise, you can get postgraduate funding for the PGDL if you do the extra module to upgrade to an LLM.

In addition to this, I am really unsure about your plan to retake your A levels. It is so unusual to do this after a degree, and again - the sort of law firms who would care about your A level grades (which to be honest is most of them) would also not be happy about you retaking them as an adult. I don't want to sound so negative, but Law is such a stickler for grades, and you sound so committed to providing a public service, I wonder if other areas of the RAF would be easier for you to access such as personnel support officer? Or if you weren't going down the Law route, an MSc or MA in Criminology like this one at Manchester would make more sense for someone interested in working for the prison/probation service/home office/local government. Other Masters which would seem to suit your caring nature better than Law (and are less stuffy about grades) would be social work or youth and community work

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/m...course-profile
Last edited by harrysbar; 1 year ago
The University of Law Students
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SpeckyDecky)

Hey,

I don't think you are being unrealistic with your ambitions at all - if you want to do something you will make it happen and you clearly have a thought out plan! If you do decide to do the LPC LLM at the University of Law, as it is a masters qualification you will be eligible for a grant which will help you with funding the course (I think you get about £9,000 and the course is just over £12,000). If you are wanting to do the MSc in Criminology this should be the last thing you do as it is not really necessary for a career in law/ a legal officer in the RAF. I also don't think it would be necessary to re-take your a levels as most employers will look at your university grades & LPC grades and relevant work experience.

I hope this helps

Emily
(Student Ambassador, LPC, Liverpool)
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by The University of Law Students)
I also don't think it would be necessary to re-take your a levels as most employers will look at your university grades & LPC grades and relevant work experience.
I don't think you should imply that law firms won't care about A level results as many (as I'm sure you know) have minimum A level grade requirements they filter applicants by in addition to their requirement for the other things you have mentioned. If OP chooses to take the gamble of doing the PGDL and then the LPC they need to at least be aware of what they are up against

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/la...ction-criteria
17Student17
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It is a bit like people who do GCSEs over several years or have two gos - regarded as not as good (so not point point doing them later).

Could you afford to do the full time PGDL and then LPC full time or do you need to do them both part time so you can work full time as a paralegal at the same time to pay your way?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (61)
22.26%
Excited but a bit nervous (125)
45.62%
Not bothered either way (35)
12.77%
I'm really nervous (53)
19.34%

Watched Threads