Turn on thread page Beta

When catching a train... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    do I have to get the connecting train straight away??

Eg; if i wen from shrews to nottingham, i would probs change at bham news street. Could i buy a return ticket, get to bham, and then leave the station and got to the bullring for a bit? and then come back to the station when i felt like it and caught the train to nottingham??

Edit:

okay, so most of you have told me i need to get seperate tickets.

okay well if i buy them on the day, will they have the times printed on them?? cos i nkow ordering them and buying in advance means they print specific times.

I'm goin to a meeting in nottingham, and my expenses are to be paid for me by the company. but if they see i caught the train to bham at 9am and the train to notts at 3pm, they will wonder/ be annoyed that i got a day out in bham, therfore charge me for the trian fares instead!

ReputationRep:
    Yer, you can't (normally) leave the restricted area, i.e. pass through the barriers or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    They usually take your ticket off you at new street, unless you need it for another part of your trip.

If you buy seperate tickets for each journey then maybe you should be able to get out, they onlt ever take the ticket off you if you do not need it again...

ReputationRep:
    If you bought two singles for each leg of your journey, then you could do it. However, it would be a pain in the arse and possibly more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    i normally have a look around my connecting station for a while if i have loads of time during a change, and it normally goes through the barrier no probs. i don't know about any of the stations up there tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bangers+Mash)
    They usually take your ticket off you at new street, unless you need it for another part of your trip.

If you buy seperate tickets for each journey then maybe you should be able to get out, they onlt ever take the ticket off you if you do not need it again...
    New street doesn't always have those barriers up though, the last time I passed through after a football game they were down and that wasn't too late.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Bham doesn't actually have ticket barriers, they have people standing on the entrance. So they won't look at your ticket too closely.

Nottingham doesn't have ticket barriers. Sometimes they have people standing there, but they don't care too much. Once they asked me if I had a ticket, and I said "no" and they let me through anyway. (I'd been dropped off in the car park, and was collecting my ticket from the fast ticket machine, which stupidly means you have to walk through the station and out again. So I didn't have my ticket at that point and couldn't produce it, but wasn't doing anything naughty)

ReputationRep:
    Neither Birmingham nor Nottingham have those annoying electronic barriers. Birmingham does have people there checking your tickets though. You could try asking one of them if they could let you through so you can see the big departure board or go to WHSmith ...then just leave.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, there is NOTHING at new street station, you are stuck behind the barriers with a WHSmiths and a few other rather expensive shops,
    As mean as i pass through new street everyday for college i find it hard not to spend money there

ReputationRep:
    okay well if i buy them on the day, will they have the times printed on them?? cos i nkow ordering them and buying in advance means they print specific times.

I'm goin to a meeting in nottingham, and my expenses are to be paid for me by the company. but if they see i caught the train to bham at 9am and the train to notts at 3pm, they will wonder/ be annoyed that i got a day out in bham, therfore charge me for the trian fares instead!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Wanna Be Adored)
    New street doesn't always have those barriers up though, the last time I passed through after a football game they were down and that wasn't too late.
    Might have been a sunday afternoon??

The only time ive ever seen ther barriers open is at like 5-6AM and Midnight :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

The only time ive ever seen ther barriers open is at like 5-6AM and Midnight :rolleyes:
    I'm going on a sunday :p:

ReputationRep:

Was a Saturday in December. The Bullring was still open; we went to Pizza Hut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Wanna Be Adored)
    Was a Saturday in December. The Bullring was still open; we went to Pizza Hut.
    You know, i really connot stand the Bullring, although im there every weekend...im HMV....

BUT, more importantly..what football game was it...?

ReputationRep:
    dont know about birmingham, but in leeds you have to show your ticket to get out of the station, but i always go out, just tell them i need to hang on to my ticket for my next journey so they dont take it off me and then come back in if i have a connecting journey with a bit of a wait, they dont time you or anything. lol.

i dont think it would be a problem.. but dont sue me if you get caught

ReputationRep:
    you should be fine going out as i believe your ticket is valid for any station en route? as long as your ticket is valid all day and not advanced booked for a certain time.

ReputationRep:
    From the National Rail Conditions of Carriage:

You have the right to break and resume a journey covered by your ticket (in either direction in the case of a return ticket) at any intermediate station, as long as your ticket is valid for the trains you want to use. You may also end your journey before the destination shown on your ticket at any such intermediate station. However, these rights may not apply to certain tickets. If so, the relevant Train Companies will state this in their notices and other publications.
    Source: http://www.chester-le-track.co.uk/htm/conditions.htm

Hope this helps.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.