The Student Room Group

Any advice?

I sometimes get upset easily or worried about general stuff, future life and everything. I have seen other people on YouTube feeling the same and they were saying they have depression or might have anxiety etc. I just am very scared that I might have it, I’m too scared to see because it’s really embarrassing to have it and it’s being a pussy, my family are about being thought like, they are known for boxing, fighting and everything. My uncle himself fought some guy who were tall, my uncle is short he’s 5ft 2 but he never sat around and get depressed or self conscious about it he embraced it like a man and that’s what I should do anyone with mental health should do for that matter imo instead of relying on a doctor to make them better. I am trying and hoping for the best and trying to ignore it but I just don’t know what to do because sometimes I just can’t get out of this stupid mood. Also people have said to me it’s not embarrassing to have mental health but if it’s not embarrassing then what is it because it’s clearly a bad thing not good. Also my family always taught me to be my own person and be natural so your mood should come naturally so I shouldn’t rely on a doctor or whatever to be happy and I agree with. I genuinely agree that it is embarrassing to have mental health and so do my family. I’m not doing this post for attention this is generally my opinion and everything I said is serious, I know other people have other opinions which they can. If I had a friend or family member with mental health issues I wouldn’t want to associate with them just because I feel like they need to grow up a bit also me and my mates joke about people with depression and anxiety.
I just came on here for advice like I agree I need to stop being a wimp and man up a bit but like I said above now and again I am just upset then cant stop being a wimp or whatever, I just want this stupid mood to stop.

People like teachers were going to phone my parents to ask them to a doctor and that’s when I panicked and got worried about it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I sometimes get upset easily or worried about general stuff, future life and everything. I have seen other people on YouTube feeling the same and they were saying they have depression or might have anxiety etc. I just am very scared that I might have it, I’m too scared to see because it’s really embarrassing to have it and it’s being a pussy, my family are about being thought like, they are known for boxing, fighting and everything. My uncle himself fought some guy who were tall, my uncle is short he’s 5ft 2 but he never sat around and get depressed or self conscious about it he embraced it like a man and that’s what I should do anyone with mental health should do for that matter imo instead of relying on a doctor to make them better. I am trying and hoping for the best and trying to ignore it but I just don’t know what to do because sometimes I just can’t get out of this stupid mood. Also people have said to me it’s not embarrassing to have mental health but if it’s not embarrassing then what is it because it’s clearly a bad thing not good. Also my family always taught me to be my own person and be natural so your mood should come naturally so I shouldn’t rely on a doctor or whatever to be happy and I agree with. I genuinely agree that it is embarrassing to have mental health and so do my family. I’m not doing this post for attention this is generally my opinion and everything I said is serious, I know other people have other opinions which they can. If I had a friend or family member with mental health issues I wouldn’t want to associate with them just because I feel like they need to grow up a bit also me and my mates joke about people with depression and anxiety.
I just came on here for advice like I agree I need to stop being a wimp and man up a bit but like I said above now and again I am just upset then cant stop being a wimp or whatever, I just want this stupid mood to stop.

People like teachers were going to phone my parents to ask them to a doctor and that’s when I panicked and got worried about it.

Just one reply would be great
It is in no way embarrassing to have a mental health condition and you are not a wimp or anything like that for feeling the way you do. It is a chemical change in your brain that you can't just get rid of. If you suppress your feelings, they will only become more difficult to handle. People with mental health conditions don't need to 'grow up' as you say. Mental health conditions may be considered bad because they are illnesses that should be treated and managed like any other illness (it's bad to have heart failure or liver damage but people don't get called weak for having these illnesses). I feel like you need to get better friends who don't make fun of people with mental health conditions because they are not something to joke about by calling people wimps. Suicide is the biggest killer of men under 45 in the UK and suicide highly linked to mental health conditions. I don't find anything about that statistic funny and by joking about it, you just perpetuate the stigma that's attached to mental health conditions.
It's tl;dr. You need paragraphs, a quick short description at the top for us lazy ones who don't feel like reading everything.
Reply 4
It's perfectly okay and pretty normal at this point to have some kind of mental health problem. What is not okay is to feel like you have to face it alone- you really don't. When I first started having panic attacks/being depressed I was set on not telling anyone and just helping myself alone and that left me in a really dark and horrible place for years.

Whenever I start to panic I try and focus on my breathing first, if I can't control that then I drink some water (it's hard to panic whilst you're trying not to choke) and try again. Then, I try to question what's going on, why I feel so panicky and what can I do to help myself. Like if you're worrying about the future try and talk yourself through step by step what could happen (focus on positives! for example: Oh I definitely failed that test, that teacher is going to be mad at me, so will my parents, maybe the teacher could try to talk to me and we can see where i went wrong, if they can't help me I could find someone else that can, maybe my friends thought it was hard too so I'm not alone - that kinda stuff).
Is there maybe a teacher you really trust to talk and could talk to them? Maybe also say that you don't think you're family would be willing to go to a doctors about it and stuff like that? Just so that you do have someone on your side in school who knows what's going on. Also, once you turn 16/if you are 16 you can go to the doctors without an adult and it will be completely private.
I honestly believe you are not a wimp at all, you're really strong. Mental health problems can be really hard to deal with, especially by yourself, so you're actually pretty strong for posting this and sharing your problems.

Here's some places you might find help!
https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/ - lots of links made by the NHS to help out in different scenarios

https://www.childline.org.uk/ - childline ! they have lots of different ways you can talk to someone so it's not just over the phone. It's not always the best but there's always someone there who listens and responds which is nice when you feel like there's no one around you that can help.
Reply 5
Original post by Emily5243
It is in no way embarrassing to have a mental health condition and you are not a wimp or anything like that for feeling the way you do. It is a chemical change in your brain that you can't just get rid of. If you suppress your feelings, they will only become more difficult to handle. People with mental health conditions don't need to 'grow up' as you say. Mental health conditions may be considered bad because they are illnesses that should be treated and managed like any other illness (it's bad to have heart failure or liver damage but people don't get called weak for having these illnesses). I feel like you need to get better friends who don't make fun of people with mental health conditions because they are not something to joke about by calling people wimps. Suicide is the biggest killer of men under 45 in the UK and suicide highly linked to mental health conditions. I don't find anything about that statistic funny and by joking about it, you just perpetuate the stigma that's attached to mental health conditions.

I just don’t know because all mental health cases aren’t all about suicide or anything
Reply 6
There is so much wrong with this. There is nothing wrong with having mental health issues. You and your mates sound immature and insensitive to ever joke about something like that.

Things like anxiety and depression cannot be 'fixed' by a few strangers on the internet, so I suggest you talk to someone who can really help you. There is also nothing wrong with talking to a professional about how you are feeling. If something is wrong, there are people in this world who are there to help you.
Reply 7
Original post by sedmunds
It's perfectly okay and pretty normal at this point to have some kind of mental health problem. What is not okay is to feel like you have to face it alone- you really don't. When I first started having panic attacks/being depressed I was set on not telling anyone and just helping myself alone and that left me in a really dark and horrible place for years.

Whenever I start to panic I try and focus on my breathing first, if I can't control that then I drink some water (it's hard to panic whilst you're trying not to choke) and try again. Then, I try to question what's going on, why I feel so panicky and what can I do to help myself. Like if you're worrying about the future try and talk yourself through step by step what could happen (focus on positives! for example: Oh I definitely failed that test, that teacher is going to be mad at me, so will my parents, maybe the teacher could try to talk to me and we can see where i went wrong, if they can't help me I could find someone else that can, maybe my friends thought it was hard too so I'm not alone - that kinda stuff).
Is there maybe a teacher you really trust to talk and could talk to them? Maybe also say that you don't think you're family would be willing to go to a doctors about it and stuff like that? Just so that you do have someone on your side in school who knows what's going on. Also, once you turn 16/if you are 16 you can go to the doctors without an adult and it will be completely private.
I honestly believe you are not a wimp at all, you're really strong. Mental health problems can be really hard to deal with, especially by yourself, so you're actually pretty strong for posting this and sharing your problems.

Here's some places you might find help!
https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/ - lots of links made by the NHS to help out in different scenarios

https://www.childline.org.uk/ - childline ! they have lots of different ways you can talk to someone so it's not just over the phone. It's not always the best but there's always someone there who listens and responds which is nice when you feel like there's no one around you that can help.

Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by LovelyMrFox
There is so much wrong with this. There is nothing wrong with having mental health issues. You and your mates sound immature and insensitive to ever joke about something like that.

Things like anxiety and depression cannot be 'fixed' by a few strangers on the internet, so I suggest you talk to someone who can really help you. There is also nothing wrong with talking to a professional about how you are feeling. If something is wrong, there are people in this world who are there to help you.

That’s what I’m scared of, talking to a therapist and I just don’t want to be happy unnaturally bye someone else helping me. Also therapy rarely works apparently anyway so as much as I don’t want to talk to someone it might be a useless option anyway
I just don’t know because all mental health cases aren’t all about suicide or anything

But suicide is highly linked to mental health conditions as suicidal thoughts are a symptom of many mental health conditions.
Reply 10
That’s what I’m scared of, talking to a therapist and I just don’t want to be happy unnaturally bye someone else helping me. Also therapy rarely works apparently anyway so as much as I don’t want to talk to someone it might be a useless option anyway

You wont be 'unnaturally' happy. The therapist will just help you work out your emotions which is something that only you can do. They are there to guide you, not work out your issues for you.
Therapy does work for a lot of people. Can you show me your statistics on the bold?
Original post by Emily5243
But suicide is highly linked to mental health conditions as suicidal thoughts are a symptom of many mental health conditions.

I just feel like depression like non suicidal cases are embarrassing
hey
i cant really give advice as such as I'm not going through the same thing as you, but what I can tell you is that there is ALWAYS a way out- you may not see it but you will find a way out, and it's way easier than it seems.

This is something I've learnt in life- the universe is never gonna give you something you cant handle.
The situation is tough, but you're tougher.
you'll get out of it, ok? keep working at it

you got this. I'm rooting for you
You wont be 'unnaturally' happy. The therapist will just help you work out your emotions which is something that only you can do. They are there to guide you, not work out your issues for you.
Therapy does work for a lot of people. Can you show me your statistics on the bold?

I can’t show statics but I’ve just heard a lot about it. I don’t want someone to help me work on stuff that’s what I mean by unnatural.
Original post by vix.xvi
hey
i cant really give advice as such as I'm not going through the same thing as you, but what I can tell you is that there is ALWAYS a way out- you may not see it but you will find a way out, and it's way easier than it seems.

This is something I've learnt in life- the universe is never gonna give you something you cant handle.
The situation is tough, but you're tougher.
you'll get out of it, ok? keep working at it

you got this. I'm rooting for you

Ok thanks
Reply 15
I can’t show statics but I’ve just heard a lot about it. I don’t want someone to help me work on stuff that’s what I mean by unnatural.

Why dont you want people to help you work things out? It really can make you feel a lot better.
Well the things you have heard are wrong. Therapy does not work for some people, but it really does help many many others.
Why dont you want people to help you work things out? It really can make you feel a lot better.
Well the things you have heard are wrong. Therapy does not work for some people, but it really does help many many others.

I’m brought up to know that things should be natural like my mood, if you read my post again you’ll see
Reply 17
I’m brought up to know that things should be natural like my mood, if you read my post again you’ll see

So what was the point of this thread? We cannot do anything for you and you know that. If you want help, you need to talk to a professional :s-smilie:
I just feel like depression like non suicidal cases are embarrassing

nah they aren't embarrassing at all
it's like having diabetes or something- you cant really control it, so why is it embarrassing? don't be embarrassed by it.
Well, a few things to point out about your post, firstly, everyone has mental health, just like everyone has physical health. For some people it's good, for some it's bad. If you're ashamed to have poor mental health and choose not to help yourself by seeking appropriate professional support because of perceived shame, that's your own issue.

If you're struggling it's OK to seek help. Your parents views are a little dated, especially given current medical knowledge. If you're struggling with your mental health, then seek help.

It's sad you would ostracise people based on their mental health. I hope in time you grow up.

Good luck. Hopefully your mental health improves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending