tetris179
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
is there any use in trying those 100 push ups a day for 30 days. i’m v skinny in my chests and i just need some sort of definition.
would doing these help?
i swear you need at least 48 hours for repair before working out that muscle group again. surely 30 days straight does nothing
username5323908
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Start at 10 and do one more every day.
I'm the same, very skinny, I'm trying this.
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you are not used to doing pushups or don't have decent upper body strength already the chances are you won't be doing them correctly and thus won't be getting appropriate gains for your efforts.
NonIndigenous
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by tetris179)
is there any use in trying those 100 push ups a day for 30 days. i’m v skinny in my chests and i just need some sort of definition.
would doing these help?
i swear you need at least 48 hours for repair before working out that muscle group again. surely 30 days straight does nothing
Break it down into 20 sets of 5 per day, or 10 sets of 10 (whatever totals a 100) at first.

Then build it up.

I don't expect it will do a lot though. Push ups only exercise one muscle group.
tetris179
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
thank you but do you think they’ll actually help to add some sort of definition to my chest?
tetris179
Rep:
?
(Original post by NonIndigenous)
Break it down into 20 sets of 5 per day, or 10 sets of 10 (whatever totals a 100) at first.

Then build it up.

I don't expect it will do a lot though. Push ups only exercise one muscle group.
thank you but do you think they’ll actually help to add some sort of definition to my chest?
NonIndigenous
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Compared to not doing any push-ups, almost certainly yes. It's a good way to get started. Push-ups are regarded as more of a light-workout exercise / endurance training.

If you really want mass & definition, you would want to try weights. But, for a beginner, push ups are the safe & reasonable option. I wouldn't use bench press for example, until you can at least do 20 pushups. If you find even a single push up too difficult, do the push ups on against a staircase for example.

Also, muscle development plateaus out if you do not develop antagonistic muscle groups. Although you are more likely to notice this once you are benching maybe 80kgs or more (which is what happened with me).
Antagonistic to chest... is your back.
Antagonistic to triceps... are your biceps.

So, for long-term results, you will want to work out your back as well. If only to maintain your posture. Only doing chest & triceps will hunch you over like a caveman and put you at risk of musculoskeletal disorders when you're older.

And eat right.
tetris179
Rep:
?
(Original post by NonIndigenous)
Compared to not doing any push-ups, almost certainly yes. It's a good way to get started. Push-ups are regarded as more of a light-workout exercise / endurance training.

If you really want mass & definition, you would want to try weights. But, for a beginner, push ups are the safe & reasonable option. I wouldn't use bench press for example, until you can at least do 20 pushups. If you find even a single push up too difficult, do the push ups on against a staircase for example.

Also, muscle development plateaus out if you do not develop antagonistic muscle groups. Although you are more likely to notice this once you are benching maybe 80kgs or more (which is what happened with me).
Antagonistic to chest... is your back.
Antagonistic to triceps... are your biceps.

So, for long-term results, you will want to work out your back as well. If only to maintain your posture. Only doing chest & triceps will hunch you over like a caveman and put you at risk of musculoskeletal disorders when you're older.

And eat right.
brilliant advice thanks.
Yeah i figured once i can do about 20 i'd have to switch to bench cos then it becomes more about endurance surely? Just sucks cos I really don't have the funds to pay for gym so i'm trying everything i can at home. I have dumbbells and barbell but no bench. Peak really
NonIndigenous
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
brilliant advice thanks.
Yeah i figured once i can do about 20 i'd have to switch to bench cos then it becomes more about endurance surely? Just sucks cos I really don't have the funds to pay for gym so i'm trying everything i can at home. I have dumbbells and barbell but no bench. Peak really
You could strap a rucksack to your back fill it with water bottles, and do pressups that way.

I would shoulder press packs of floorboards at home when I was younger. They weighed about 25kg. I just found any item lying around and improvised and exercise out of it.

One day the packaging around the floorboards broke though and they collapsed all over me. So be careful as well. lol
blobfish123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i can only do one pushup lol and my arms shake as im coming up. i thought i was strogn and everything, i can hold plank for over 2 mins
Cyeol61
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by blobfish123)
i can only do one pushup lol and my arms shake as im coming up. i thought i was strogn and everything, i can hold plank for over 2 mins
Maybe it's because you're a Blobfish
blobfish123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Cyeol61)
Maybe it's because you're a Blobfish
lmao but blobfish are so frickin cute!!
Cyeol61
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by blobfish123)
lmao but blobfish are so frickin cute!!
I never said they weren't, I mean their push up game is weak but their blobness makes up for that.
Last edited by Cyeol61; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (191)
33.45%
Receiving them online / by email (286)
50.09%
I still don't know (94)
16.46%

Watched Threads