Does google chrome actually delete history?

Watch
TSR User_123
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So I am in year 8. And have a school computer. Basically, I stay at home because of lock down. And I am connecting to my home network. Also at my high school we have these ICT staff. And i went on something by accident. I deleted it of chrome history. Do you think that when i go back to school. Cause we have an automatic system. When we enter the school, i think the schools wi-fi connects. Do you think they can still see the deleted history or not. Also can they see my history when i am at home.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Sofie Rose)
So I am in year 8. And have a school computer. Basically, I stay at home because of lock down. And I am connecting to my home network. Also at my high school we have these ICT staff. And i went on something by accident. I deleted it. Do you think that when i go back to school. Cause we have an automatic system. When we enter the school, i think the schools wi-fi connects. Do you think they can still see the deleted history or not. Also can they see my history when i am at home.
If they check it on Google Chrome itself, then no assuming that you properly deleted the history and there is no administrator override or something like that; but if they use any other way (e.g. check their server records) to investigate then potentially yes.

Firefox's Private Window mode states: While this doesn’t make you anonymous to web sites or your internet service provider, it makes it easier to keep what you do online private from anyone else who uses this computer.
Last edited by ecolier; 4 months ago
TSR User_123
Rep:
?
Oh No. I am scared. But what if i don't tell them about it? Do you think there still see it?
khadijaaaxxxx
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Oh No. I am scared. But what if i don't tell them about it? Do you think there still see it?
well yeah there are ways they can see what you've searched, especially if it's a school computer. but they shouldn't have to do that if they dont have any suspicion. i doubt they'll check so dont stress!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I wouldn't know, sometimes people get automatically informed if blocked website are accessed and sometimes it just gets ignored unless something happens.

I wouldn't be able to tell you how your school's IT system works. Tbh as @khadijaaaxxxx said unless someone is suspicious I doubt they'd have the time to trawl through the records individually.
Last edited by ecolier; 4 months ago
TSR User_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by khadijaaaxxxx)
well yeah there are ways they can see what you've searched, especially if it's a school computer. but they shouldn't have to do that if they dont have any suspicion. i doubt they'll check so dont stress!
Okay Thanks. I hope they don't.
MalcolmX
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
unless your laptop has some software that stores and sends history to the school, then no, they cannot see specifically where you visited.

ict staff are used to seeing all sorts of weird stuff so you don't have anything to worry about. there are probably hundreds of other students that have visited something by accident.
Last edited by MalcolmX; 4 months ago
Celebration23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
If you don't want a record of webpages you've visited using Chrome, you can delete all or some of your browsing history. If you delete your browsing history, it'll take effect on all devices where you've turned sync on and signed in to Chrome. Your history will be removed from Chrome.
khadijaaaxxxx
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
I wouldn't know, sometimes people get automatically informed if blocked website are accessed and sometimes it just gets ignored unless something happens.

I wouldn't be able to tell you how your school's IT system works.
yeah that's true Sofie Rose
sometimes if you access a website that's been blocked school will get a notification to say whatever
this happened to me once when i went on this game website and school found out haha
TSR User_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by MalcolmX)
unless your laptop has some software that stores and sends history to the school, then no, they cannot see specifically where you visited.

ict staff are used to seeing all sorts of weird stuff so you don't have anything to worry about. there are probably hundreds of other students that have visited something by accident.
Do you mean clicking the box in front of it and then clicking delete?
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
So I am in year 8. And have a school computer. Basically, I stay at home because of lock down. And I am connecting to my home network. Also at my high school we have these ICT staff. And i went on something by accident. I deleted it of chrome history. Do you think that when i go back to school. Cause we have an automatic system. When we enter the school, i think the schools wi-fi connects. Do you think they can still see the deleted history or not. Also can they see my history when i am at home.
In short, deleting history just deletes the local data. The connection will always be logged elsewhere, if they've set it up.

As for at home, don't log into your school account at home or don't search dodgy stuff on a school computer - it's really quite simple :facepalm2:
The Real Me
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
my school has the same thing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (560)
34.06%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (677)
41.18%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.56%

Watched Threads