minnierocks
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have began applying for year 10 work experience (in 2021) at various legal firms but I was just wondering:
-What will I have to wear
-What will I have to do-
-Any do's and dont's
Last edited by minnierocks; 4 weeks ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by minnierocks)
I have began applying for year 10 work experience at various legal firms but I was just wondering:- What will I have to wear- What will I have to do-Any do's and dont's
Its a bit late if you are applying for this summer plus they have even less space die to cv19.
Make sure your application is well written and you know why you are applying to that firm in particular.

As to what to wear, then smart casual will do. Office environment means you have to be presentable, but nothing special as they will know Y10 wont have excess clothes.

Post back for when you get a place for advice on what to do.
Cityblonde
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by minnierocks)
I have began applying for year 10 work experience at various legal firms but I was just wondering:- What will I have to wear- What will I have to do-Any do's and dont's
Hi there!

Law firms are usually formal or business casual. When I did my work experience I had my induction pack which specified what the dress code was, so I imagine you’ll be getting some guidance before you’re about to start. Just as an example, I wore slacks and a pretty blouse with a blazer coz it can get quite cold in an office. I also wore business dresses with black tights. I wouldn’t wear heels unless you can walk in them properly - if you do decide for heels, make sure the height is office appropriate.

More general dos and donts:
- be enthusiastic and show that you’re keen to learn
- be nice to everyone, including the support staff and receptionists
- if you want a really genuine insight into the culture and industry in general, ask trainees (they know how it is for someone just entering the profession)
- really think about who’s the best person to answer your questions and make sure you ask them in bulk and not bothering your supervisor every time you think of one (this is applicable when you’ve been given your own work)

As for the type of work, depending on what type of firm you’re at, it might be some filling or legal research. I did work experience in commercial law firms and I mostly produced memos for my supervisors on points of law that were relevant to their work and drafted some emails to in-house counsel.

Given that you’re not at uni, your supervisor must know that you’re probably just trying to find out how a law firm works and if you can imagine working as a solicitor - as long as you show interest and initiative you should be fine xx
minnierocks
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thanks for the advice. That was such a help x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (180)
24.73%
Better than expected (146)
20.05%
Worse than expected (402)
55.22%

Watched Threads