The Student Room Group

What age is too old to be living with parents?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I live at home rent free and my parents clean up after me & I have no job. Life is good :smile:
I'd say that there isn't a point where you're "too old".

I originally moved out at 18, and then moved back in with my parents at 25. Life doesn't always go the way we plan.
People make different choices for various reasons. It's not that hard to understand ahaha
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by Anonymous
my friends growing up, at uni and old work colleagues love her and my dad's hobbies and interests as they like things millenials / gen zs like (my dad is 60+ and likes anime and scrubs :rofl:)

These type of older people are the true legends. Us younger ones should strive to be like them in attitude.
Original post by mgi
These type of older people are the true legends. Us younger ones should strive to be like them in attitude.

ikr, sad lots of people think my parents are cool and im not :lol: :frown:
I live in london, I do want to move out but renting would take 65% of my wages. Considering a salary of 20-21k (newly graduate - no experience) and this is hypothetical as I haven't found a full time job yet.

After taxes that's around somewhere like 18k now let's look at a place I was consider renting a few months ago it was a flat share with just my friend, 2 bedroom. £800 per month, most bills included so we roughly added another £200 just to on the safe side. That's 12k gone just to live. Then we consider my phone bills and subscriptions at the moment is around £25 a month £1.2k a year them considering grocery bills now I'm not the best example here because I don't eat a lot so I know my weekly cost would be £30 so £1440 a year. Next we got to consider travel. Travelling into London from where I live would roughly be around £9 a day that's £45 a week just for working and it's over 2k a year. In all roughly I would be left with £100 a month. Just £100. Of which I would probably try to get private therapy twice a month or something and that would take all my income to 0. Its possible don't get me wrong. Surely however its better to live at home whilst you can and save up money.

I'm not saying I wouldn't pay money to help my mum and in fact I would probably be paying like £250 a month or more but still with food transport and other bills that would leave with at least 50% of in income that could be saved.

And this is coming from someone who really wants to move out but I understand some things are better of waiting for especially in the state of the economy right now
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 86
ikr, sad lots of people think my parents are cool and im not :lol: :frown:

Maybe they are right! lol. Life can suck sometimes!🤣
Original post by mgi
If they are saving? And they should still,nevertheless, be contributing to household expenses!

Why? Some parents, like me, preferred their children to save for a house. They can contribute by doing their share of chores e.g. cooking, cleaning, gardening :smile:
Original post by mgi
Ok. But i think parents should charge rent when their kids get to their mid twenties otherwise they are encouraging freeloaders!

The rent thing makes sense. I think parents should charge their kids some form of board/rent as soon as they get a full time job. How much the parents charge them should depend on how much they earn, and maybe how old they are. But they should charge them something.
Original post by Muttley79
Why? Some parents, like me, preferred their children to save for a house. They can contribute by doing their share of chores e.g. cooking, cleaning, gardening :smile:

Whilst I agree that you should encourage your children to save for a house etc, and they should deffo help with household chores- I still think that parents should charge their child something. Even of it's just a small amount. To teach them the value of money.
Are yall rich or something? I know so many people in their 20s still living at home
Original post by Emma:-)
Whilst I agree that you should encourage your children to save for a house etc, and they should deffo help with household chores- I still think that parents should charge their child something. Even of it's just a small amount. To teach them the value of money.

Don't you learn that at uni - budgeting etc? Mine did - I know we did the right thing as he's independent now and most of his friends aren't,
In your 20s but only with no job. In your 20s with a job/at uni is brilliant for saving.

Over 30 even with a job/studying. Gtfo there.
Reply 93
I think it should be 24 so that you learn to be independent and take responsibility of yourself and your affaires
25, anyone who still lives at home at that age is seriously disturbed.
Original post by Muttley79
Don't you learn that at uni - budgeting etc? Mine did - I know we did the right thing as he's independent now and most of his friends aren't,

Not everyone goes to uni
I know I certainly didn't
25, anyone who still lives at home at that age is seriously disturbed.

Are you serious?
Reply 97
Original post by Emma:-)
Not everyone goes to uni
I know I certainly didn't

well, i think that anyone living in someone's house should automatically be contributing to the expenses of that household., regardless of who is saving for what!
Original post by mgi
well, i think that anyone living in someone's house should automatically be contributing to the expenses of that household., regardless of who is saving for what!

what's that got to do with going to uni?
Reply 99
Original post by black tea
what's that got to do with going to uni?

if one is an adult and still living at home while going to uni one should still be offering to pay towards the expenses of the home. That’s what should happen to adults, they are grown!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending