Physics

Watch
Mirwais Arzomand
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m not a physics student (I study maths biology and chemistry a level) but I was curious about something I found when playing with some magnets. I know the basics regarding magnets such as like poles repel and opposites attract. When I have two magnets and have them repel I feel a strong force in between them pushing one another away and when I put a small object in between, that strong force of repulsion from either magnet does nothing to the small light object placed in between even though such strong forces of repulsion are being emitted from the magnets (emitted is probably not the best word but hopefully you get the point). Could someone please explain how and why this works.
Physicsqueen
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The magnets exert the strong force of repulsion on each other as each magnet has what is known as a magnetic field around it (just think of it as a region that lets other magnets know that a magnet is there).

Non magnet objects cannot experience the magnetic field hence no force exerted on it by any magnets.

The magnets are repelled due to this magnetic field, but not the small object (as that is not a magnet). Hence the magnets ‘feel’ the force but not the small object.

I hope this explains it ok, sorry if it’s not great. I know this isn’t the full physics behind it, but this is the basic principle behind your observations I think.

If there’s any inaccuracies anyone feel free to correct me.
Last edited by Physicsqueen; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (54)
6.07%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (110)
12.36%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.94%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.12%
Financial worries (60)
6.74%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (40)
4.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.29%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.92%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.09%

Watched Threads