The Student Room Group

Picking courses before results day??

Hey.
How come we have to choose our courses before actually knowing our grades? I have applied for sixth form and i have my courses ready but how will i actually know if i will get in and meet the requirements? How about if i don’t get in and i don’t have a backup plan then does that mean that all of this work will go to waste and i have to plan a new life??
(edited 3 years ago)
hi! most sixth forms will probably be lenient if your results weren't too far off. they will also be working off of predicted grades if they've given you a spot ATM. otherwise there are alternative routes for many things.
may I ask what courses you are hoping to take?
Original post by bambi1425
hi! most sixth forms will probably be lenient if your results weren't too far off. they will also be working off of predicted grades if they've given you a spot ATM. otherwise there are alternative routes for many things.
may I ask what courses you are hoping to take?

Sociology, Philosophy and ethics, Health and Social care and maybe Psychology xx
Original post by ConfuffledChild
Sociology, Philosophy and ethics, Health and Social care and maybe Psychology xx

I wouldn't be too worried about grades for alevels :smile: these are all essay based subjects so a solid English grade is ideal and any other related subjects you may have taken! (and maths cause that's a compulsory pass thing)!

also psychology is so interesting if you decide to take it :smile:)
Original post by bambi1425
I wouldn't be too worried about grades for alevels :smile: these are all essay based subjects so a solid English grade is ideal and any other related subjects you may have taken! (and maths cause that's a compulsory pass thing)!

also psychology is so interesting if you decide to take it :smile:)

i was just a bit confused on why do we need to prepare our courses before result day? What happens for instance if i fail all of my GCSEs and i don’t have a backup plan?
i was just a bit confused on why do we need to prepare our courses before result day? What happens for instance if i fail all of my GCSEs and i don’t have a backup plan?

it's so schools can try have an idea of who's coming for what courses, numbers and all that. even if you did fail lots of schools are extremely helpful in either finding a potentially better place for you or allowing you on the course as long as you don't seem to be struggling so much :smile: (this is especially the case if you are going to a sixth form attached to your school)
Reply 6

Hi, one thing to note is that you will likely drop a subject after your first year so you might want to keep that in mind as the year goes on. No uni that I've seen asks for more than 3 subjects, it's too much work for most people and will only spread out your attention from your best subjects.
Original post by Omega01
Hi, one thing to note is that you will likely drop a subject after your first year so you might want to keep that in mind as the year goes on. No uni that I've seen asks for more than 3 subjects, it's too much work for most people and will only spread out your attention from your best subjects

i’m thinking on doing 3 subjects but i am a bit indecisive between Philosophy and Ethics and Psychology as i have to chose one of them. I am also considering to chose between Sociology and Psychology but idk which ones will be best fitted with the rest of my subjects.
Reply 8
Hey.
How come we have to choose our courses before actually knowing our grades? I have applied for sixth form and i have my courses ready but how will i actually know if i will get in and meet the requirements? How about if i don’t get in and i don’t have a backup plan then does that mean that all of this work will go to waste and i have to plan a new life??

when u have random thoughts like this at 2am in the morning lol its completely fine to be worried
Reply 9
i’m thinking on doing 3 subjects but i am a bit indecisive between Philosophy and Ethics and Psychology as i have to chose one of them. I am also considering to chose between Sociology and Psychology but idk which ones will be best fitted with the rest of my subjects.

Well if you're thinking of doing health and social care as your main thing, then it would probably make sense to drop philosophy and ethics.
If psychology is your main focus, then you would probably want to drop health and social care. It depends on what you want to do after sixth form and what blends together the best. I did maths, biology, psychology and chemistry, I dropped chemistry since I'm going to uni to do Psychology.
If you do psychology then you will want to make sure that you have a decent understanding of maths, since there is a bit of statistics involved.
Reply 10
Original post by Omega01
Well if you're thinking of doing health and social care as your main thing, then it would probably make sense to drop philosophy and ethics.
If psychology is your main focus, then you would probably want to drop health and social care. It depends on what you want to do after sixth form and what blends together the best. I did maths, biology, psychology and chemistry, I dropped chemistry since I'm going to uni to do Psychology.
If you do psychology then you will want to make sure that you have a decent understanding of maths, since there is a bit of statistics involved.

lol im,doing health and social care and im a boy is that weird
Original post by Aryz
lol im,doing health and social care and im a boy is that weird

Depends what weird is. In my sixth form there was one boy in a class of 15 or so doing health and social so yeah it's 'weird'. But nah, do what you wanna do. I'm doing psychology which has loads of girls doing it, it's just whatever you're interested in.
Reply 12
Original post by Omega01
Depends what weird is. In my sixth form there was one boy in a class of 15 or so doing health and social so yeah it's 'weird'. But nah, do what you wanna do. I'm doing psychology which has loads of girls doing it, it's just whatever you're interested in.

im nearly finishing it anyway lol but thanks for replying
Original post by Aryz
im nearly finishing it anyway lol but thanks for replying

are you doing health and social care right now? If so, how is it? Can you tell me about what kind of stuff do you learn and is it fun?
Reply 14
are you doing health and social care right now? If so, how is it? Can you tell me about what kind of stuff do you learn and is it fun?

Its an amazing course and its very interesting. You learn about how to communicate with an elderley person vs a younger person. You learn about people who have autism or demntia or asthma and how this can affect their daily lives. You also have the oppurtunity to learn like proper first aid and everything. I literally could go on and on because there really are such a wide variety of topics but the important thing to note is it is a very coursework heavy subject which means you have to be dedicated and keep on top of it. Any more questions feel free to ask

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending