Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    Here's basically what has happened:

I messed up.

I just finished year 12, and my results were as follows: 1B, 2Ds, 2Es.
    I wasn't really too shocked when I saw what I had got because I knew I really didn't do that well. I didn't revise for any of them and I lazed around all year and subsequently I didn't do any work. So it can be expected. I didnt need to work for GCSEs. I got a nice number of As and some Bs. But what happened was that my attitude never changed.

I have a few really big problems when it comes to 'school' :
    1. Unless I am not interested in something, I won't spend time on it. I won't be actively willing to learn about the subject.
    2. I don't know how to revise. I know how to look through a book and make notes. But revising never really worked for me. I've never properly done it before and no one knows me enough such that they know how I can best revise and learn.
    3. My time management is hideously poor. Managing my time has never been an easy one.
    4. In sort of connection to 2. , no one really understands me and how my mind works?

I think I come off as really lazy and irresponsible of my learning. To be fair, i am ridiculously lazy. Beyond belief; and it's such a shame, as many teachers and my parents have said, because I am intelligent and full of potential and ambition yet I've wasted it all... so far. I'm also quite irresponsible in terms of my learning. But deep down I really want to do well, and I am more than capable of getting a nice set of As. I was expected to get All As and A*s at GCSE, and AS level could have turned out really differently.

So I'm just asking for a bit of help. What do I do now? I still want to go to one of the top universities, but I only have a year to do it. I need to completely change everything around. I need to find out the best way I learn, the most effective way of revising for me, how to manage my time, and get behind my mentality about all of it. I'm just really stuck at the moment and have no idea what to do...

Any help would be really appreciated. Thankyou.
    (sorry for the essay)

ReputationRep:
    Retake the year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato123)
    Retake the year?
    Agree'd. Just take the year again. AND make yourself do it

ReputationRep:
    perhaps have yourself assessed by learning support, you're showing very similar signs to me when i was diagnosed with specific learning difficulties. Lack of concentration unless engrossed, not ure how to revise effectively. struggle to skim/scan read? feel like you're seeing the words but not reading the sentence? sound familiar or am i clutching at straws?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarrow)
    Hi.

I messed up.

I didn't revise for any of them and I lazed around all year and subsequently I didn't do any work. So it can be expected. I didnt need to work for GCSEs. I got a nice number of As and some Bs. But what happened was that my attitude never changed.

1. Unless I am not interested in something, I won't spend time on it. I won't be actively willing to learn about the subject.
    2. I don't know how to revise. I know how to look through a book and make notes. But revising never really worked for me. I've never properly done it before and no one knows me enough such that they know how I can best revise and learn.
    3. My time management is hideously poor. Managing my time has never been an easy one.
    4. In sort of connection to 2. , no one really understands me and how my mind works?

I think I come off as really lazy and irresponsible of my learning. To be fair, i am ridiculously lazy. Beyond belief; and it's such a shame, as many teachers and my parents have said, because I am intelligent and full of potential and ambition yet I've wasted it all... so far. I'm also quite irresponsible in terms of my learning. But deep down I really want to do well, and I am more than capable of getting a nice set of As. I was expected to get All As and A*s at GCSE, and AS level could have turned out really differently.
    OMG you're me! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Re-take the year.

ReputationRep:
    You need to keep this in mind now, this is your last chance; your last hope. You don't want to mess this year up. Once you do well now, it is plain sailing for a year (first year is considerably easy, so you can laze off and still get a First, providing you still put in a little work throughout the year...) These few weeks of effort will make or break your life. So do what is best, and stop being lazy! Don't worry, you are not alone. I am in a similar position (in terms of underperformance). Write this down and stick it somewhere you will read it EVERYDAY. You could even write it in every textbook and notebook/folder so you can read it for motivation. YOU CAN DO IT! The teachers aren't wrong, and nor is your self-belief. I lost hope in myself after collecting my results, but people around me forced me back onto my feet and gave me a good kick up the backside. PM me if you need more advice/help.

ReputationRep:
    Wow thanks everyone for the help.
    One thing I really wouldn't like to do is retake the year. I think that would have a negative affect on me? It's partly why I don't want to take a gap year either, because I feel that I'm falling behind from everyone. Would anyone be able to direct me to somewhere where I can find out how to focus, and learn how I should revise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    perhaps have yourself assessed by learning support, you're showing very similar signs to me when i was diagnosed with specific learning difficulties. Lack of concentration unless engrossed, not ure how to revise effectively. struggle to skim/scan read? feel like you're seeing the words but not reading the sentence? sound familiar or am i clutching at straws?
    yeahhh thats like almost exactly what I have. Though I'm not sure if I've always had that problem? Back in Primary and early Secondary school I was fine... probably because naturally I could just do everything without having to work that hard.
    But yeah, when reading a book, sometimes I have to read a line several times in order for my mind to actually register it? And my concentration is a big problem. I can't focus, unless I'm really into what I'm doing.
    But, for instance, I do music, and I can practice my violin for a couple of hours non stop and still be productive. I'm just not sure why I can't do the same with revision.

ReputationRep:
    There'd be nothing wrong with 'being behind anyone'. It doesn't matter at all, people peak academically at different stages, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathematician!)
    OMG you're me! :cool:
    :no:, he's me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicangeli)
    :no:, he's me.
    :sadnod: he's me.

ReputationRep:
    I would advise you to retake the year as well. One of my friends retook the year and found that he did a lot better second time round, and consequently he got into the uni he wanted to go to.

As for revision, I just looked through the books and made notes, diagrams, mind maps, and made good use of my highlighter lol. It worked okay for me. Some people benefit from revising with a friend though, discussing the things you don't understand and testing each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarrow)
    Hi.

I messed up.

I just finished year 12, and my results were as follows: 1B, 2Ds, 2Es.
    I wasn't really too shocked when I saw what I had got because I knew I really didn't do that well. I didn't revise for any of them and I lazed around all year and subsequently I didn't do any work. So it can be expected. I didnt need to work for GCSEs. I got a nice number of As and some Bs. But what happened was that my attitude never changed.

So I'm just asking for a bit of help. What do I do now? I still want to go to one of the top universities, but I only have a year to do it. I need to completely change everything around. I need to find out the best way I learn, the most effective way of revising for me, how to manage my time, and get behind my mentality about all of it. I'm just really stuck at the moment and have no idea what to do...

Any help would be really appreciated. Thankyou.
    (sorry for the essay)
    You cannot be that bad and that Lazy. You took time to write this long note (essay in your words).. I think it is just a question of discipline. Try and attend some study skills seminar or course Or read book on study skills - and you will be back on track. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    There'd be nothing wrong with 'being behind anyone'. It doesn't matter at all, people peak academically at different stages, it's nothing to be ashamed of.
    Peak maybe a wrong word - lets say mature. (After Peak it is down hill )

ReputationRep:
    If you think you will be able to bring them up in your A2 year then work hard to do so however if you think it will be hard which it looks like it might then the best option would to retake the year.

ReputationRep:
    Wow - + rep just for the efforts.

ReputationRep:
    Magicam Moogles

You are a legend
    First post as well Good on ya mate
    some great advice

ReputationRep:
    OMG, OP you are just like me.

I expected AS to be like GCSE, I lazed about, didn't do any homework, couldn't be bothered to revise etc etc and I came out with E's and C's. I was very dissappointed in myself. I was meant to come out of them with A's!
    I also managed a healthy number of A's and the rest B's at GCSE without revising.

Anyway point is, I dropped out of college with my rubbish results, worked in a call centre ( a job a hated for two years) I'm now 19 and going back to college, and I'm SO scared. Being in a class full of 16 year olds, not having learnt anything for 2 years - not even sure if my brain still works!!

don't end up where I am thinking, what a waste of time wish I just got on with it in the first place. Being lazy and not finishing college is one of my biggest regrets.
    All my friends are off to uni this year and they all sit around talking about where they're going, what halls they are staying in etc.

Think about what you want to achieve by doing A-Levels, if uni, then what course? where?
    I want to go to Newcastle uni and do something biology related. I discovered in the last two years that having an 'end goal' motivates me.

hope that helps OP

ReputationRep:
    thanks very much for spending the time to write all of that out :P
    its helped me. Im sorting some stuff at school now.
    I go to a grammar school so my own standards and also the expectations of everyone around me are really high. The hit is harder when your best friends are getting straight A's and some of the best results in the country.. lol.
    But hopefully ill sort it out... my head is messed up at the moment.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.