The Student Room Group

Severe problems with Nationwide...

To cut a long story short, I went to the Nationwide in June wanting to set up a debit card account for University, and for student finance to be paid into (long story why it had to be paid into that account too). The Nationwide said I had to be 18 to set one up with them. *However*, they said I could set up a flex-account with a cashcard when I was 17 and the second I turn 18 in August, I could go into a branch and upgrade the card into a debit card. So, I set this account up, got the bank account details and gave them to the student finance.

Well, now I've turned 18 and I went to the Nationwide today to change the flex cashcard into a debit card- they were having none of it. Apparently you have to have the account for seven months before you can do this- but we were told nothing of the sort. In fact, they specifically said after we asked in numerous different ways that we could come in when I turn 18 and immediately (well, within a few days) get a debit card on the account. They flatout lied to us, and I'm furious with them for it.

So where do I stand regarding their lies? I set up the account with them on the basis that I could have a debit card on that account when I start at Uni- but that isn't going to happen now. The assistant knew full well this was the only way I would be sticking with the Nationwide, so they might have lied to keep me with them- but then again, this new seven month rule could have been imposed in the last two months without me knowing. Do they have to give me the debit card now? If not, how easy is it to change the bank account details on the Student Finance?
The seven months thing seems odd. Ask them if you were a new customer, would you be able to open an account with a debit card straight away; if not, why aren't you eligible?
Since you opened the account have you been paying money into it? They probably want to see some form of regular contribution or income before they upgrade it.

If you do decide to change account (why not opt for a student account at another bank? You don't have to have an overdraft if you don't want one and you'd qualify for a debit card and various other benefits straight away) it's relatively straightforward to change the account details your loan is paid into - you can do it online on the SLC site.
You can get a debit card before you're 18? Change to a different bank. You can change your student finance details fairly easily if you applied online.
Reply 3
Icy_Mikki
In fact, they specifically said after we asked in numerous different ways that we could come in when I turn 18 and immediately (well, within a few days) get a debit card on the account. They flatout lied to us, and I'm furious with them for it.

So where do I stand regarding their lies? I set up the account with them on the basis that I could have a debit card on that account when I start at Uni- but that isn't going to happen now. The assistant knew full well this was the only way I would be sticking with the Nationwide, so they might have lied to keep me with them- but then again, this new seven month rule could have been imposed in the last two months without me knowing. Do they have to give me the debit card now? If not, how easy is it to change the bank account details on the Student Finance?

It's a shame someone told you incorrectly at their store. It's been the case that you don't get a debit card immediately, and to change from a CashCard to a Debit Card requires a minimum of six months (ie, seven), for at least a year. The best source of information is usually the bank's website, rather than any person.

They're under no obligation to do anything.

It's pretty easy to change accound details with SF, since a lot of people end up changing from the accounts in March to their new student accounts.
Reply 4
sweetfloss
Since you opened the account have you been paying money into it? They probably want to see some form of regular contribution or income before they upgrade it.

Nope, I've only taken money out on the day it was set up to test it, and once when I was in Ireland about a month ago. :rolleyes: It's not a great check for them.

If you do decide to change account (why not opt for a student account at another bank? You don't have to have an overdraft if you don't want one and you'd qualify for a debit card and various other benefits straight away) it's relatively straightforward to change the account details your loan is paid into - you can do it online on the SLC site.

I applied via paper rather than online- our school encouraged us to do this for some reason. I assume that's harder to change than online?

Regarding choosing a student account, we we went with the nationwide because I've another account with them already (a child one), and I was going to set up an e-save account for that money so that money transfers between the nationwide card and the e-save account would be quick and simple.
Icy_Mikki
Regarding choosing a student account, we we went with the nationwide because I've another account with them already (a child one), and I was going to set up an e-save account for that money so that money transfers between the nationwide card and the e-save account would be quick and simple.

Ah fair enough. My savings used to be at Nationwide too, alongside my current account. I still have these but I use a Natwest Student account and e-savings now. It means I can put a lot of my overdraft into my savings and move it across as I need it. :smile:
Reply 6
complain complain complain.

And you'll probably end up getting what you want.
Talya
complain complain complain.

Yup, if you want to stick with Nationwide and get hold of a card that's probably the best route. I find the quality of staff in branches of Nationwide varies dramatically. However, in their defence, you ought to read the T&C's of the account before signing up, and it does state within them that you need to hold an account for at least 7 months before you can apply for debit card facilities.
Reply 8
Nationwide generally aren't really all that good for students, and it is really difficult to get a debit card through them if it's the first time you had one. I've had their FlexAccount for quite awhile but they wouldn't upgrade me because I didn't have a good enough credit rating (ie. I didn't have a credit rating, having never had any cards etc before except a cashcard). I was annoyed at the time, but one of the managers actually recommended going to a different bank for student things, because Nationwide aren't at all good in that department!
Anyway, I still have my Nationwide accounts, but I also have student banking with the co-operative bank. The service might not have been good but tbh I doubt they will give you a debit card if you complain. If you want to it's really easy to close accounts and just move your money elsewhere.
The way my finances are at the minute, my loan is going into that Nationwide account, and I have set it up so my accomodation payments come straight out on the dates given. My student account is what I will use for everyday living.

Latest

Trending

Trending