The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 19/20: Placed on the Reserve List

Scroll to see replies

Yup me too!
I'm on the faststream and didn't receive one either
Reply 62
I was on mainstream and have had no email
I'm a bit different to you guys (I think) but after my EAC I found out I had been put on the reserve list. Gutted that I was good enough but couldn't get a job and since the GES took so long to do anything during the EAC process I kind of forgot about this role and carried on applying (as I'd assumed I wouldn't make it off the reserve list).

However, today at around 5pm I got an email telling me that I'd received a provisional offer @ the treasury. Was initially excited until i revisited these threads and I'm not entirely sure how to feel if I'm honest.

I don't think this is relevant to you guys but I just thought I'd share and if there's anything I can do to clear things up I'll answer them!
Reply 64
Original post by TRZ11111
I'm a bit different to you guys (I think) but after my EAC I found out I had been put on the reserve list. Gutted that I was good enough but couldn't get a job and since the GES took so long to do anything during the EAC process I kind of forgot about this role and carried on applying (as I'd assumed I wouldn't make it off the reserve list).

However, today at around 5pm I got an email telling me that I'd received a provisional offer @ the treasury. Was initially excited until i revisited these threads and I'm not entirely sure how to feel if I'm honest.

I don't think this is relevant to you guys but I just thought I'd share and if there's anything I can do to clear things up I'll answer them!

Nah nice one! If I was in your position I’d be feeling pretty relieved to be honest lol

Was wondering, roughly when did you have your EAC? And have you interned with them before or anything?
I am very relieved but I'm worried they may take it away so I'm just hoping for more correspondence asap.

I had my EAC in late April (I think that makes me part of the 1st batch but I'm not entirely sure)

I've not interned with them before but I did work with an entity which was part of BEIS for a few months so maybe that could've played a factor?

Happy to answer any more questions
Reply 66
I am very relieved but I'm worried they may take it away so I'm just hoping for more correspondence asap.

I had my EAC in late April (I think that makes me part of the 1st batch but I'm not entirely sure)

I've not interned with them before but I did work with an entity which was part of BEIS for a few months so maybe that could've played a factor?

Happy to answer any more questions

oh right! Yeah that's when I had my EAC as well (well, I had it mid april). Interesting how you were put on a reserve list straight away but myself and others were told there'd be a job - what the hell happened there!?

I'd say it's promising that you've been contacted, but yeah I'd be cautious. I just wish I'd hear anything about my prospects. Just received that one email about the reserve list over a month ago, and absolute silence since then, even though I've been messaging them
Yeah, I was a mainstream applicant with very average scores so I assumed I was going to be at the bottom of the pile if they were going to hire more people.

Honestly I would've been so angry if that happened to me because it's so difficult to get a job anyway and with these circumstances it's ridiculous.

I feel like attempting to talk to them is so difficult it's best not to even bother. It's also annoying how nobody has a phone number on their email signature so it's impossible to get in touch (especially as they love to not read our emails)
Reply 68
Yeah, I was a mainstream applicant with very average scores so I assumed I was going to be at the bottom of the pile if they were going to hire more people.

Honestly I would've been so angry if that happened to me because it's so difficult to get a job anyway and with these circumstances it's ridiculous.

I feel like attempting to talk to them is so difficult it's best not to even bother. It's also annoying how nobody has a phone number on their email signature so it's impossible to get in touch (especially as they love to not read our emails)

ohh you're on the mainstream? didn't realise.

Yeah I can't think about it too deeply to be honest cause I get very angry and upset about the whole situation. And also hate myself for not picking the treasury as a department preference. I saw it in the list, but there was no description of it at all on the GES page. I even emailed the GES to ask if it was included in the fast stream (cause i know they run their own grad scheme, so thought they might not do the fast stream anymore). Needless to say I never heard back, so went ahead and didn't put HMT down cause I thought it was a wasted choice. But now it seems to be the only department hiring people at this stage.

Yeah this whole thing is so messed and confusing up on so many levels. And that's a huge understatement...

Well done though! Keep us posted with it going ahead!
Original post by lowayyz
I am on GSR and got a similar email last week saying they'll email me again towards the end of August if there is a role available. However, they said if no role is available we will be on the reserve list for up to a year, nothing about the position being deferred or being made a priority come next September.

I believe the email does say we'll be given priority next September.

Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your EAC scores?
Like your overall score?
Hi guys, I just wanted to know for those placed on the reserve list, did it appear on your civil service jobs portal?
Original post by jkanzah1
Hi guys, I just wanted to know for those placed on the reserve list, did it appear on your civil service jobs portal?

I got an email saying I have passed the assessment centre but due to too little positions available I would be put on the reserve list (2 weeks after being given the provisional job offer email)
Original post by as2078
ohh you're on the mainstream? didn't realise.

Yeah I can't think about it too deeply to be honest cause I get very angry and upset about the whole situation. And also hate myself for not picking the treasury as a department preference. I saw it in the list, but there was no description of it at all on the GES page. I even emailed the GES to ask if it was included in the fast stream (cause i know they run their own grad scheme, so thought they might not do the fast stream anymore). Needless to say I never heard back, so went ahead and didn't put HMT down cause I thought it was a wasted choice. But now it seems to be the only department hiring people at this stage.

Yeah this whole thing is so messed and confusing up on so many levels. And that's a huge understatement...

Well done though! Keep us posted with it going ahead!

Will do and hopefully you hear some good news soon!

Original post by Chrisem99
Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your EAC scores?
Like your overall score?

Cheers and my overall feedback score was 6 I believe and the EAC scores averaged out to a 4
Reply 74
Original post by RosserVital
I believe the email does say we'll be given priority next September.

I just got that email as well
Original post by Chrisem99
I got an email saying I have passed the assessment centre but due to too little positions available I would be put on the reserve list (2 weeks after being given the provisional job offer email)

Ah, theyve basically not contacted or replied to me at all. So i have no idea if im on the reserve list or not. so i keep checking the jobs portal. what does yours say?
Original post by jkanzah1
Ah, theyve basically not contacted or replied to me at all. So i have no idea if im on the reserve list or not. so i keep checking the jobs portal. what does yours say?

Really? Do you know if you have passed the EAC?
My email said: you have reached the required standard but we are unable to offer you a job immediately.
And then spoke about how I’m on the reserve list.
Reply 77
For those who got the email saying they will be placed next September, is anyone worried that this may fall through again? Don't know how to ensure something like this doesn't happen again
Original post by zaynaraja
For those who got the email saying they will be placed next September, is anyone worried that this may fall through again? Don't know how to ensure something like this doesn't happen again

I am worried about it, as I feel I can't trust them to stick to their word after the mess they've made of recruitment this year. I'm not sure what to do either, other than maybe applying to other graduate jobs just in case (although the prospect of doing it all over again is a bit daunting).
Has anyone heard anything from GESR since their email about the 2021 start? My email said they'd provide me with another update by the end of August to confirm if they've found me a role or if I'll start in Sept 2021, but heard nothing.

Quick Reply

Latest