_HS
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone,

I'm an aspiring commercial solicitor and I've been fortunate enough to be accepted onto my university's career mentoring scheme. I got paired with a senior partner at an international firm and we've arranged to have monthly video calls.

We've had out first initial call which went well. However it felt a bit awkward and the conversation was slightly strained. I feel like he's slightly out of touch with the recruitment process and is more keen to talk about what the job is like at partner level. (which is great, but not really what I need right now)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to get the most out of this experience? I know I'm very lucky to have been given an opportunity like this, but I've never been a mentee before. Any advice would be very helpful!
Johnny ~
Badges: 12
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by _HS)
Hi everyone,

I'm an aspiring commercial solicitor and I've been fortunate enough to be accepted onto my university's career mentoring scheme. I got paired with a senior partner at an international firm and we've arranged to have monthly video calls.

We've had out first initial call which went well. However it felt a bit awkward and the conversation was slightly strained. I feel like he's slightly out of touch with the recruitment process and is more keen to talk about what the job is like at partner level. (which is great, but not really what I need right now)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to get the most out of this experience? I know I'm very lucky to have been given an opportunity like this, but I've never been a mentee before. Any advice would be very helpful!
Posts like this make me shake my head.

You have an enormous array of material on how to game the recruitment process. You don't need the partner to tell you what firms look for at interview or what they ask. You have your friends, classmates, grad rec and sites like TCLA for that. Your Careers service will always be there to provide resources like TargetJobs and mock interviews.

What you should be doing is making use of that partner's experience to ask more probing questions about legal practice and his firm. Why did he stay? What does his day look like? What sort of tasks take up the majority of his time? What are his favourite and least favourite tasks? What sets apart his firm from the rest? Which firms does he regularly pitch or advise against? What tips would he give to a trainee? How do commercial firms market themselves? What's the process for winning new work? How does he see his firm/the sector changing?
Last edited by Johnny ~; 4 weeks ago
lawcalling
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Johnny ~)

You have an enormous array of material on how to game the recruitment process. You don't need the partner to tell you what firms look for at interview or what they ask. You have your friends, classmates, grad rec and sites like TCLA for that. Your Careers service will always be there to provide resources like TargetJobs and mock interviews.

What you should be doing is making use of that partner's experience to ask more probing questions about legal practice and his firm. Why did he stay? What does his day look like? What sort of tasks take up the majority of his time? What are his favourite and least favourite tasks? What sets apart his firm from the rest? Which firms does he regularly pitch or advise against? What tips would he give to a trainee? How do commercial firms market themselves? What's the process for winning new work? How does he see his firm/the sector changing?
PRSOM. Completely agree.
_HS
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Johnny ~)

Thank you so much for the advice!

I'm still pretty new to commercial law, and getting paired with a partner feel a bit daunting (even though he's lovely). I'm still at the exploration stage.

I've also never been a mentee for anything before, so it's a lot to navigate, but I'm always happy to learn.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (180)
24.73%
Better than expected (146)
20.05%
Worse than expected (402)
55.22%

Watched Threads