sunrisee
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
As a female trainee teacher where are the best places to shop at for smart-casual outfits?

Thank you
GabiAbi84
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Depends a bit on your budget.
Next generally will have a good selection but is on the pricier side.
H
Last edited by GabiAbi84; 2 weeks ago
bluebeetle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sunrisee)
As a female trainee teacher where are the best places to shop at for smart-casual outfits?

Thank you
Best places for me have been:
M&S
Next
TK Maxx
Fat Face (though this might only work because my school errs very much on the casual side for staff dress code)

Some tips:
- if you can, spend a good amount of money on some comfortable shoes. 100% worth it. I buy mine at Clarks.
- make sure you have a waterproof coat or umbrella for duties
- in most cases, it's best to prepare in advance with a smaller wardrobe, then add to it when you've spent a week or two in school and have a better idea of what's appropriate
- fabrics that don't need ironing to stay neat-looking are your friend
- err on the conservative side with skirt length to begin with. A few girls I trained with had to be spoken to about skirt length and I think that's a pretty embarrassing experience all round
- look for dresses/skirts/trousers with pockets
- look to have outfits that can be layered with a cardigan / blazer, since you'll be moving around classrooms and temperature can vary a lot
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you! I have a couple of smart trousers from uniqlo which fit me well.

Do you think smart shirt dresses/ smock dresses paired with smart black trousers are suitable? That’s the kind of look I want to go for.
Look at what other teachers are wearing - blouse with a jacket/cardigan is more usual.
Claudette
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I wouldn’t spend a fortune on school clothes. That said I think it depends on whether you are primary or secondary. I have friends who are secondary teachers and they have to dress quite conservatively, whereas I’m a reception teacher so my clothes are more likely to get wear and tear.
I tend to go with black trousers and nice tops (as a female) you can’t go wrong with some decent black trousers. I wore black cords throughout both my placements (in winter) and noone batted and eyelid.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you! I have a couple of smart trousers from uniqlo which fit me well.

Do you think smart shirt dresses/ smock dresses paired with smart black trousers are suitable? That’s the kind of look I want to go for.
It depends on your placement schools- some will insist on suits/blazers, especially at secondary. Some schools will also have a real culture of smart dress and you may feel like you want to fit in with that! Equally, some schools may be very casual, and again you may want to adapt to fit in.

Depending on budget, I found H&M, Zara and Mango pretty good for school (work) clothes, and got some decent comfortable boots in House of Fraser in a sale. Shoes you feel comfortable in are definitely a must, and they usually need to be reasonably robust as well!
ArabellaMarie8
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I asked my friend who did her PGCE and she said the best investment are a decent pair of shoes and maybe a bag that holds everything. She suggested H&M and New Look (but this depended on the time of year) and to get dresses/shirts/trousers that you can mix and match with cardigans/blazers etc.
bearfaced
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
In primary, it seems to be lots of White Stuff clothing.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You want to look professional- as mentioned before, it hugely depends on the school- primary tends to be less formal than secondary. I would just have a couple of outfits to start with and then see how people dress in your placement schools and take it from there. Some schools have a dress code policy for staff. I would also, as suggested, invest in comfortable shoes as you are likely to be on your feet all day.

Laure
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise