Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    well i know im gonna get a lot of comments saying only i can make that decision but i would really like some suggestions on what i should choose based on subjects which would go well together or based on my gcse results:
    here are all the subjects im interested in taking:

music ( mabybe a problem because i can do grade 5 + playing but my theory is not great)

music tech - i dont know much about this and apparently some unis dont see it as a proper subject ?

psychology -sounds interesting and I know it's a "soft subject" but i dont care.

english lit- find it interesting me likes anyalysing stuff

economics- think it would be interesting and good broad subject as i haveno idea what career id like to choose later

law-might be a career i want to follow later and sounds interesting

philosophy-sounds interesting and i reckon i'd be ok at it

buisness studies-dno

maths- dnt think i'm naturally talented at it but it might be interesting to take as all other subjects mainly essay based

history- originally was gonna take history but got my worst grade in it at gcses ( a b )

so what would u recommend?

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to study at University?

ReputationRep:
    no idea that's the problem

ReputationRep:
    put into the mix things you'd enjoy, but would be able to do well in too. you don't have to do law to do it later, you just need good grades.

if you take things like maths and english, maths is often needed in quite a few degrees. you really have to pinpoint the kinda area you'd like to go into. humanties(history english etc) or sciences...

ReputationRep:
    Judging by the comments you have on each subject, you should take:
    Maths, History, English Literature and Economics

Maths, Economics, English Lit., Music/Philosophy/History

But I don't know you.

ReputationRep:
    As someone said above me, pick subjects which you would enjoy and ones you feel you can achieve the best grades in.

I don't really know much about some of the subjects, but having done History and English Lit for AS, I know a bit about them. If you like analysing things, as you said, then you would probably enjoy these two subjects. Plus, they compliment each other.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do

ReputationRep:
    Psychology, Eng Lit, Economics and then Music Tech/Maths/History or Philosophy

Only you can make that decision :p:

ReputationRep:
    Take music if you enjoy it. But unless your planning on taking music at uni. dont bother with music tech (usless subject)...
    The Theory in music isnt a problem btw, its pretty darn easy to pick up once you get into it... no more difficult than stuff youd of had in your grades...

If you could manage it; English lit, Maths, History, Economics, Or drop one of the later and do Music

ReputationRep:
    maths, economics, history, english lit.

would be good enough for law and for economics at university, although further maths may also help for economics but is not essential

ReputationRep:
    Maths, History, English Lit and whatever you want after that. All those 3 are solid well repected subjects. Just so you know you dont nned Law to do law at university so dont think you need to take that. Many universities prefer you dont have it from what ive been told

Snippets of advice I've picked up from round these parts/university websites:

- Economics >>>>>> Business Studies. Don't take Business if you can take Economics, Business is seen as soft.
    - You don't need Law A-level to do a Law degree by any means. In fact, you don't need any specific A-levels to do Law.
    - Do what you enjoy, you seem to like Music so do that, and it's well respected.
    - Maths is versatile, highly respected, and will contrast well with your other "arty" A-levels.

And finally, this is directly quoted from Cambridge's admissions site (although it probably applies to university admissions in general):

In Year 11? Choosing Your AS and A levels?

Your choice of AS and A level subjects in Year 11 (or equivalent) can have a significant impact on the course options available to you at university.

* If you have already decided on a course that you would like to study at university, we recommend that you take a look at the course requirements above before you finalise your A level choices to check that they will facilitate a Cambridge application. You might also wish to do this for the same course – or similar courses – at other universities.
    * If you have not yet decided on a course that you would like to study at university, we recommend that to maximise your potential course choice at Cambridge, you select at least two traditional academic subjects among your A levels. Certain A level subjects are considered essential or useful for a number of courses at Cambridge, therefore choosing one or more of these will help you keep your higher education options open. These subjects include:
    o Chemistry
    o English Literature
    o History
    o Mathematics
    o Languages
    o Physics
    Other subjects that also facilitate course choice at Cambridge include Further Mathematics and Biology.

ReputationRep:
    I would say take English Literature, Maths and History/Economics. These are well-respected subjects that are useful for many degrees. If you have no idea what you want to do at University, have you considered taking Biology, Chemistry or Physics? If you want to do a Science-based subject, one of these would be useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna_The_Giant_Banana)
    here are all the subjects im interested in taking:

buisness studies-dno
    Sounds like you're extremely interested, and will make informed decisions.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Pick the subjects you enjoy the most. Failing that, pick something like Maths, Economics, English Lit and History -- respected subjects that keep your doors well open.

PS: Music Tech is a definite no-no. I did it at AS and regretted it :p: Also, I wouldn't do Business Studies or Law either, unis really don't like them, and the people I know who do them don't like them anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Stick to the traditional ones as they seem to be required for a variety of degree courses from what I've seen.

E.g
    Maths would be helpful and its seen as a useful A Level
    English- you like it
    Economics- something new?
    And possibly History-dont let your grade stop you from taking it.

saying this because they are broad subjects.

Don't take Law, as from past researching, I've heard many Universities dislike it.

ReputationRep:
    definitely pick Literature and History, the rest is up to you, maybe Philosophy/Psychology and Maths?? haha, hope that helps..if u wanna do law, and serious about it do Econs, Maths, Literature and History..perfect combination i think!!!

ReputationRep:
    totally depends on what you want to take at university.

But, to keep your options open, I would pick:
    Maths, economics,english lit and history.

This would leave your options open for courses such as economics (as you have economics and maths) , law and various other courses

ReputationRep:
    Economics, History, Business, and Law are all good. Though with Economics and Business, it might be a good idea to choose one or the other.

Have a good mix of subjects, though. Don't be too focused on one area or another.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.