Turn on thread page Beta

Dentist filled off my enemal on three teeth. Sue?! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I went to see the dentist today for a filling.

When i got home i went to check what they have done in the mirror. I found that the dentist practically filled down three other teeth (sorry, dont know the exact names for these) in the process.

I've never been to this dentist before, so it was my first time. I am appualled at the job and now on one teeth, the enemal is gone in a certain on area.

I'm going to do a complain tommorrow via phone. Does anyone know if I can sue? not really sure what i can do. enemal can't grow back so im fkd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeahyeahyeahs)
    Hi everyone,

I went to see the dentist today for a filling.

When i got home i went to check what they have done in the mirror. I found that the dentist practically filled down three other teeth (sorry, dont know the exact names for these) in the process.

I've never been to this dentist before, so it was my first time. I am appualled at the job and now on one teeth, the enemal is gone in a certain on area.

I'm going to do a complain tommorrow via phone. Does anyone know if I can sue? not really sure what i can do. enemal can't grow back so im fkd.
    If you think there is an issue, go to another dentist and get him to assess the damage. If there is damage then yes you can sue.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know he's filed down the enamel? Are you sure he didn't just polish your teeth?

ReputationRep:
    You're probably wrong. Dentists don't just file the enamel off your teeth and send you off home hoping you won't notice.

ReputationRep:
    no, this dentist did.

didnt even give me a mirror to check my teeth.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can sue but you will need to gather strong evidence.

ReputationRep:
    go to another dentist explain the situation and let him have a look

ReputationRep:
    You've never been to the dentist before?

Is it possible he just doing what needs to be done.

When's you next appointment because he could just be prepping for the next appointment which is standard if he's fitting an appliance, device, or aesthetic veneers.

More info needed before we can tell you anything meaningfull.

Your dentist filed off the enamel? . .oooooo.

Which 3 teeth is it? . .

ReputationRep:
    I think its important you go to another dentist if this is the case. They will be able to assess the damage and either reassure you or confirm your suspicions.
    Obviously, if your enamel has actually been filed off then you will need treatment pretty urgently, and your dentist would be in lots of trouble anyway.

Get checked out, and ask what another dentist recommends before you panic too much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    Your dentist filed off the enamel? . .oooooo.

Which 3 teeth is it? . .
    I think it is common to file and etch the enamel if veneers are to be fitted but teeth are also extensively reshaped to make a study base for crown attachment.

If this is the case then the dentists should have made sure you weren't in doubt.

(Original post by Allthewayhome)
    I think it is common to file and etch the enamel if veneers are to be fitted but teeth are also extensively reshaped to make a study base for crown attachment.

If this is the case then the dentists should have made sure you weren't in doubt.
    Ooo didn't know that -thanks for telling me though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    Ooo didn't know that -thanks for telling me though.
    Yeah it really depends on each different person.

Hell, a tooth may even need to be refined for a filling in the back molars. ie drill away and then use a small metal hoop (i call them a laso) to act a barrier to build against.

ReputationRep:
    well he was drilling in to my lower second molar from the back for my filling but the drill must have brush pass my other teeth and accidently filled them down/enemal off.

obviously my mouth was numb and i couldnt feel a thing at the time.

no, i am not getting veneers but now it looks like i may have to!!

ReputationRep:
    well he was drilling in to my lower second molar from the back for my filling but the drill must have brush pass my other teeth and accidently filled them down/enemal off.

obviously my mouth was numb and i couldnt feel a thing at the time.

no, i am not getting veneers but now it looks like i may have to!!
    Front or back of the tooth? ie the front facing half.

So too clarify you weren't to have a second appointment?

ReputationRep:
    no, this dentist did.

didnt even give me a mirror to check my teeth.
    I've never had a mirror given to me by the dentist. Actually, I've never checked my teeth at the dentist... :\ Is this common practise?

ReputationRep:
    If you have any doubts as to the standard of treatment by your dentist then your first step would be to have another dentist check your teeth. If after that dentist has checked your teeth and agrees that the dentist has been negligent in some way then your options depend upon how serious his negligence is. If his negligence is severe and will require several thousands of pounds worth of treatment to fix then suing him might be an option. For something not particularly serious then handing it over to his professional body (the General Dental Council) to deal with might be a more appropriate response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillyM)
    I've never had a mirror given to me by the dentist. Actually, I've never checked my teeth at the dentist... :\ Is this common practise?
    haha me either!

Thought I had a rouge dentist.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, make the judicial system in england even more ridiculous and arbitrary and sue the **** of that asshat

ReputationRep:
    Picccc???

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.