Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok the situation for me is like this:

Applied for 2008 entry to this course, got an offer for AAA in Chemistry, Physics and Maths.

Actually got AAB with the B in Chemistry, missing an A by 8 UMS marks. Got told 8 days after I got my results that I have been rejected. However, I got into my insurance (Bristol for the same course).

When I phoned them up asking if I resit Chemistry Unit 4 this January to bring it up from 69/70 to 80/90 or higher to get my A overall, would I be guranteed to get in for a 2009 entry, and was told that it was highly likely but they suggested to email the admissions tutor with any problems I had.

I emailed Dr Emile Greenhalgh and was told the course was oversubscribed this year and

"Regarding your second query, you could retake your Chemistry, but clearly any applicant who had achieved AAA at the first attempt would have priority over you"

I replied back asking exactly what he means by priority (would I get an offer after everyone else etc.) but he still hasn't replied even after a few days.

I'm asking here about Imperial's history of accepting students who have had to resit a year to achieve their offer.

So, any of you got into Imperial after resitting a year, and more specificially in my course?

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Fasten a bit more attention to the wording 'over subscribed this year'. It will always be over subscribed all universities will always be over subscribed.

That didn't help you I just wanted to point out that the admissions tutor is a bit dubious in his wording.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master Polhem)
    Fasten a bit more attention to the wording 'over subscribed this year'. It will always be over subscribed all universities will always be over subscribed.

That didn't help you I just wanted to point out that the admissions tutor is a bit dubious in his wording.
    I know someone in the Chemistry department... and they are currently extremely stressed - last year they were 30 over the number they were meant to admit, this year 60. So i would say 'over subscribed' is fairly truthful wording.

Apparently most departments at Imperial have made similar mistakes too. Physics is going to be even more crowded this year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schrodinger's cat)
    I know someone in the Chemistry department... and they are currently extremely stressed - last year they were 30 over the number they were meant to admit, this year 60. So i would say 'over subscribed' is fairly truthful wording.

Apparently most departments at Imperial have made similar mistakes too. Physics is going to be even more crowded this year...
    I believe you did not comprehend the prospect of the message I was attempting to bring forth.

The applicationlace ratio will always be greater than 1 hence implying that there will never be a one-to-one relationship between applicants and places on offer. Naturally this is why the position of admissions tutor is assigned to some poor sod. It is his job to select the best and furthermore ensure that over-subscription, as it is so aptly named, does not materialise. But this is the paradox since there is a finite amount of places and tons upon tons of applicants this means that only a certain number will get offers, but they will never ever be able to get accepted offerlace ratio to be 1 - they might be fairly close but they must ensure that all places are filled, for financial reasons. Why they will always go with the safe option of over-subscribing a course to the braking point of the department.

It can all be summed up in one word really: Funding.

ReputationRep:
    I believe you did not comprehend the prospect of the message I was attempting to bring forth...
    :p: You have such a way with words (for an Imperial student).

Yes fair enough, but i just thought it interesting how badly the departments have continued to mess up with applications. You'd think they'd learn....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schrodinger's cat)
    :p: You have such a way with words (for an Imperial student).

You'd think they'd learn....
    Oh yes most certainly. Hopefully, though, the entrance exams in addition to a surplus of wit on the behalf of the admissions tutor -in coming years- will ensure that we will not all suffer from carbon dioxide poisoning as a result of over crowding. We cannot afford the fancy equipment they have on the ISS for refining the air.

ReputationRep:
    So, anyone got into Imperial after resitting a year?

ReputationRep:
    I applied late-ish for Aeronautics, (december) and got on a reserve list. However after a few months I got an offer, so i think this is what they mean. You might still get in though...or you could just not tell them you're resitting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophiaih)
    I applied late-ish for Aeronautics, (december) and got on a reserve list. However after a few months I got an offer, so i think this is what they mean. You might still get in though...or you could just not tell them you're resitting?
    They had a reserve list?

ReputationRep:
    They had a reserve list?
    Yes. I didn't hear anything for ages, and then in march or something they asked me to an interview, and then I was put on a reserve list untill may/june ish.

ReputationRep:
    Smashing as they would say back in 1999.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 3, 2008
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.