The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Help with Aberystwyth Accommodation offer?

I got my accommodation offer back from Aberystwyth yesterday and I was allocated to my sixth choice, PJM. I’m not ideally happy with this choice, as an en-suite is extremely important to me. Having my own space has always been important in order for me to feel comfortable, personally. I struggle with anxiety and especially with me moving far from home, being comfortable while living at Uni is my top priority. I know this may come off as snobby and that’s not my intention; this just wasn’t what I’d pictured when I thought of my uni experience. I’m mixed race and have extremely curly hair, which requires a lot of products and attention especially when it comes to washing. It’s almost needed for me to have my own space for my hair’s sake, and to not bother my flatmates spending so much time in the shower! My Nana and my Mum also both went to Aber, both arty students. They always told me of the memories they had there. Unfortunately, my Nana passed when I was 7 and my Mum passed when I was 11. Being the third generation to attend here will be extremely emotional for me; maybe I’m overreacting because of that but I just want my time here to be perfect. I know I will be lucky to have four walls and a roof over my head anyway, but for my mental sake I want to be as happy and comfortable as I can.

To sum it up - is an accommodation offer final? For anyone at Aber, is it possible to change accommodation if you are unhappy? I feel a bit lost. Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
The system is quite different this year because a lot of people will know their grades and whether they are in before applying for accommodation. You used to have it that accommodation would change because people do not meet their required grades so it would become available. What I would say is that there is usually a little bit of movement on it. It is worth speaking to accommodation and seeing whether any ensuites are available or looking on a site where a lot of new students are and seeing if anyone wants to swap.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Original post by erinf23
I got my accommodation offer back from Aberystwyth yesterday and I was allocated to my sixth choice, PJM. I’m not ideally happy with this choice, as an en-suite is extremely important to me. Having my own space has always been important in order for me to feel comfortable, personally. I struggle with anxiety and especially with me moving far from home, being comfortable while living at Uni is my top priority. I know this may come off as snobby and that’s not my intention; this just wasn’t what I’d pictured when I thought of my uni experience. I’m mixed race and have extremely curly hair, which requires a lot of products and attention especially when it comes to washing. It’s almost needed for me to have my own space for my hair’s sake, and to not bother my flatmates spending so much time in the shower! My Nana and my Mum also both went to Aber, both arty students. They always told me of the memories they had there. Unfortunately, my Nana passed when I was 7 and my Mum passed when I was 11. Being the third generation to attend here will be extremely emotional for me; maybe I’m overreacting because of that but I just want my time here to be perfect. I know I will be lucky to have four walls and a roof over my head anyway, but for my mental sake I want to be as happy and comfortable as I can.

To sum it up - is an accommodation offer final? For anyone at Aber, is it possible to change accommodation if you are unhappy? I feel a bit lost. Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear about your losses, you should be able to email the Accommodation Office at [email protected] about the situation you are dealing with and they might be able to help you out with your circumstances.
Original post by erinf23

Aber should still have lots of en suite accommodation available because most people do not have their results yet. I think you should send them an email and explain what you have told us. Especially focus on your anxiety and tell them that not being allocated an en suite room has caused your anxiety about uni to escalate.

Some people may think this sounds a bit precious but so what? You deserve to feel comfortable in your accommodation and I think you have good reasons to ask for an en suite room.
Original post by harrysbar
Aber should still have lots of en suite accommodation available because most people do not have their results yet. I think you should send them an email and explain what you have told us. Especially focus on your anxiety and tell them that not being allocated an en suite room has caused your anxiety about uni to escalate.

Some people may think this sounds a bit precious but so what? You deserve to feel comfortable in your accommodation and I think you have good reasons to ask for an en suite room.

Thank you so much, I agree and I’m glad you understand where I’m coming from. I did email the accommodation office and they said that the en-suite accommodation is all fully booked; but that some people often move around in the first term so some space may become available, but I think it’s unlikely that people would want to give up an en-suite. They were really nice and understood my situation, and reassured me that PJM is very nice and welcoming. The only way I could get an en suite is if I email about accessibility and claim my anxiety as more of a medical situation- which wouldn’t work because I’m not diagnosed with anxiety disorder and the only anxiety I feel is about uni in general and being away from home. Tbh, my Inital reaction to my offer was upsetting but I think I’m more okay with it now. I also spoke to my mum’s best friend from Aber, and she told me my mum had shared bathroom accom in first year too! So I feel more comfortable that I’m following her footsteps too.

Quick Reply

Latest