I literally don’t tan

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I feel so ugly, people call me sickly, ghost etc like I don’t want skin cancer but I also don’t want my stupid pale skin that doesn’t change colour and fake tan just looks orange on me
Destinex
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Photoaging accounts for one of the biggest factors of ageing. So, in terms of ageing, it's good.
Ensure that you have vitamin D intake by other means, i.e through a healthy balanced diet.
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I feel so ugly, people call me sickly, ghost etc like I don’t want skin cancer but I also don’t want my stupid pale skin that doesn’t change colour and fake tan just looks orange on me
You can get these skin creams that have tanning in them - relatively cheap - they give you a glow without making you look Essex girl.

Only thing I would say is don't put the cream on in a dark room and wash your hands - but they do look great
Anonymous #1
White people should never tan, unless they want to look black.
I’m Mediterranean asian
Anonymous #3
Report 3 months ago
White people should never tan, unless they want to look black.
Stupid comment.
Anonymous #4
Report 3 months ago
I find it interesting that people here in the West want to be tanned and spend money on tanning but people in the East want to be pale and spend money on skin bleaching. I know that's a massive generalisation, please forgive me but I think it's true to some extent.

The grass on the other side is just as green as the grass on your own side.
Anonymous #5
Report 3 months ago
I have dark skin and tan incredibly easily. Every time I've been out in the past few days I've become like five shades darker almost instantly
Anonymous #3
Report 3 months ago
I find it interesting that people here in the West want to be tanned and spend money on tanning but people in the East want to be pale and spend money on skin bleaching. I know that's a massive generalisation, please forgive me but I think it's true to some extent.

Gets a huge 👍 from me
V℮rsions
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I mean if you really want a tan (which I personally think nobody needs) you can look into UVA and UVB and types sun cream to minimise the damage from tanning outside... but really I don't think damaging your skin and causing risks of cancer is worth a tan that lasts a few weeks... if you really feel people are calling you names for your skin then I would look into changing friends? I would also remember the thousands of brown and black girls who bleach their skin to be white, it seems that people really only want what they don't have. I hope you feel better about yourself, even if I can't help you feel better. Nobody deserves to feel like their own skin is a problem.
Anonymous #1
I have dark skin and tan incredibly easily. Every time I've been out in the past few days I've become like five shades darker almost instantly
Thanks makes me feel so much better
Anonymous #5
Report 3 months ago
Thanks makes me feel so much better
I guess no one's allowed to get what they want haha
Anonymous #6
Report 3 months ago
I have very pale skin that doesn't tan too, and even though I have been teased for it, I have come to love it - pale white skin can be just as beautiful as any other skin tone. Embrace who you are
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 2_versions)
I mean if you really want a tan (which I personally think nobody needs) you can look into UVA and UVB and types sun cream to minimise the damage from tanning outside... but really I don't think damaging your skin and causing risks of cancer is worth a tan that lasts a few weeks... if you really feel people are calling you names for your skin then I would look into changing friends? I would also remember the thousands of brown and black girls who bleach their skin to be white, it seems that people really only want what they don't have. I hope you feel better about yourself, even if I can't help you feel better. Nobody deserves to feel like their own skin is a problem.
I get those comments from people who aren’t even my friends, tan is the beauty standard so I see people saying the same thing everywhere on the internet. And I literally don’t tan, I try to but I can’t. It sucks because I’ll never be able to live in a hot country because I’ll get cancer lol
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

Many years ago, the British were supposed to be pale and interesting. Women had parasols to protect themselves from the sun - hence the English rose complexion. With the advent of foreign holidays and cheap packages, a tan was seen as healthy and showed that you had been away. And people DO look better with a tan. Unfortunately this has been accompanied by a HUGE rise in skin cancer and people who look like wrinkled old hags.

I spent ten years in Africa and came back paler than when I left because you simply don't go in the sun if you are prone to burning. If I want to have the "healthy look", I go and get a spray tan or use the tanning cream that just adds a hint of colour.
V℮rsions
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I get those comments from people who aren’t even my friends, tan is the beauty standard so I see people saying the same thing everywhere on the internet. And I literally don’t tan, I try to but I can’t. It sucks because I’ll never be able to live in a hot country because I’ll get cancer lol
I wouldn't say it's the beauty standard, and if it is then only while you are young. It's a very immature standard I'll say that. Lot's of girls use fake tan in highschool and college - but then look ridiculous when they look back on photos. A grown up and mature woman has so much more to worry about and strive for than if she looks brown for the winter. Also on a final note, I think you would be fine in a hot country if you use the sun creams and after sun, the melanin is one barrier from cancer but it isn't worth much if you don't use the creams.
There's not much you or anyone can really do if you want to change your skin colour apart from grow above the desire to do so... might take a while but confronting the people calling you a ghost would be a good start, it seems ever so petty and borderline racist to call you that... I mean I'm sure they wouldn't like it if you called them something.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 2_versions)
I wouldn't say it's the beauty standard, and if it is then only while you are young. It's a very immature standard I'll say that. Lot's of girls use fake tan in highschool and college - but then look ridiculous when they look back on photos. A grown up and mature woman has so much more to worry about and strive for than if she looks brown for the winter. Also on a final note, I think you would be fine in a hot country if you use the sun creams and after sun, the melanin is one barrier from cancer but it isn't worth much if you don't use the creams.
There's not much you or anyone can really do if you want to change your skin colour apart from grow above the desire to do so... might take a while but confronting the people calling you a ghost would be a good start, it seems ever so petty and borderline racist to call you that... I mean I'm sure they wouldn't like it if you called them something.
Thanks I feel bad about myself when my friends say they have to fake tan for prom because they don’t wanna look pale, but most of them can tan naturally which is what I’m jealous of lol

Also Australia has the highest rates of skin cancer in the world and most people who live there are white so...
Anonymous #1
I have very pale skin that doesn't tan too, and even though I have been teased for it, I have come to love it - pale white skin can be just as beautiful as any other skin tone. Embrace who you are
Thanks, but I don’t think I’m gonna ever love my skin colour
Anonymous #1
Bump
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.52%
I'm not sure (32)
4.37%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (230)
31.42%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.32%
I'm not a current university student (354)
48.36%

Watched Threads