Exams getting easier or peoplle getting smarter? Watch

Poll: Exams getting easier or people getting smarter?
Exams getting easier (35)
32.71%
People getting smarter (22)
20.56%
Neither (25)
23.36%
Both (17)
15.89%
Not sure (8)
7.48%
Big Kabz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
People (old people/non students) are always saying exams are getting easier without any thought about the theory of people getting smarter. It's probably because they never had the internet and all this technology when they were students. Do you agree with them or not? Are exams getting easier or peoplle getting smarter?
TSR King
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Big Kabz)
People (old people/non students) are always saying exams are getting easier without any thought about the theory of people getting smarter. It's probably because they never had the internet and all this technology when they were students. Do you agree with them or not? Are exams getting easier or peoplle getting smarter?
i dont think exams are getting easier but i dont think people are getting smarter either.. i think its down to teaching getting better, as well as resources increasing for learning and technology helping us.. this does make us smarter in the end, but its not down to the natural cleverness but the teaching available nowadays.
UltimateJ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
People are not getting smarter, and exams are getting easier (IMO), but there are also other factors which have led to better results i.e. the availability of past papers/mark schemes.
vicyvix
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it's definetly down to people trying harder and actually revising, also perhaps the standard of teaching is actually increasing and teachers are becoming more dedicated to their students' success, technology does help a lot though!
bluelou
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
a large amount of past papers means you can like learn good exam technique
good revision guides available and new resources like the internet
which have led to increased intelligance but also in how to actually take an exam. i doubt they are easier.
Adarah
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Big Kabz)

i think it's a bit of both, but primarily that more people are doing A-levels and going to uni.

40 years ago, there wasn't the pressure there is now to do so well at school. it didn't matter for most people. now loads of jobs require Alevels/university, and there is so much competition that you have to stand out with good grades. So there are more people working a lot harder to get them.
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's basically due to teachers and tutors focusing much more on coaching for exams and exam technique than they used to. Which is by no means a bad thing, but it suggests that examiners should try to make their papers less predictable, change specifications more often, etc.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They are easier, the introduction of coursework and then the modular system at the very least shows that.
Tallon
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hard to say.
The_Goose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
not this old chesnut...
Owl1867
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Personally I think exams are getting easier. The huge increases over the past few years in my opinion are too large to be caused by anything other than easier exams.
Roobagnall
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
School childern for the last few generations have been through a school system completly focused around exams and how to pass them. its drilled into everyone how to pass exams for day 1..
prash_s90
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the introduction of coursework is an easy way to gain high marks which is a step closer to achieving a higher grade. Also providing resources such as past papers is useless as peeople will just try to learn good exam technique and will work towards achieving assessment objectives rather than understand the actual topics.
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Both probably. But exams I'm not a huge fan of; they're quite artificial and general monitor little more than 'exam technique' and cramming of facts.
Crystaltears
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think they are neccessarily easier, they are just different. They are much more memory based now, rather than requiring natural intelligence. Therefore, it is hard work that gets you good grades and students are working harder because standards are higher for Uni's etc. So an element of both really.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Crystaltears)
I don't think they are neccessarily easier, they are just different. They are much more memory based now, rather than requiring natural intelligence. Therefore, it is hard work that gets you good grades and students are working harder because standards are higher for Uni's etc. So an element of both really.
Standards are now higher for Unis? Really? By which metric?
Ed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The Olympics aren't becoming easier just because more people are breaking world records than ever before.
Barça
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
IMO the idea of how to tackle an exam with the help of past papers, detailed syllabus etc. has been mastered.
roots
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How many of these threads are there?
Kaz007
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Standards are now higher for Unis? Really? By which metric?
I think what Crystaltears means is that now, in comparison to the past, many more people are trying to get to university. The competition has increased tremendously, and therefore universities have become more stringent in their choice of applicants. Because of this, students are working harder to try and stand out to admissions tutors. Results are bound to get better.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (51)
26.98%
No (138)
73.02%

Watched Threads