apolaroidofus
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi! I find English literature a lot more challenging than my other subjects and I never achieve as highly as I want to - I'm aiming for a 9 and normally end up as a 7/8 (apart from on unseen poetry). These grades are obviously still brilliant but I'd really like to get a 9 if I can! The way I've revised so far is by making a 'revision resource' for each component with quotes, analysis and links to context/author intentions. I've completed this resource for the modern drama (An Inspector Calls) and the 19th century novel (A Christmas Carol) and I'm partway done with the poetry anthology (Power and Conflict). I intend to finish this over the holidays. When I go back in September I'm going to start doing one essay a week, as well as making character/theme mindmaps. Will this be enough, or are there other (better) ways to revise for English? When should I start re-reading the texts? If anyone got a 9, I'd love to know how you revised. Thank you so much!
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It sounds like you're building an excellent library of resources that should be helpful

Do you have an idea why you're not getting 9s - for example, if you don't include many quotes you should learn more quotes, if you struggle to finish your essays you should practice writing timed essays etc. What you're doing sounds great, but if what you're really struggling with is (say) structuring the essays rather than content for them, having loads of flashcards on themes might not help you improve (although, tbh, if you're getting 7/8s you absolutely do have a solid basis and should be chuffed with that ) Engaging with some secondary material can also be interesting for getting a different perspective on the text.

I tried to find one thing to improve from each essay (ie, paragraphs are too short) and then focus on making that be good in the next essay (make effort to plan better so I only have 3 big paragraphs) even if that brought new problems (now paragraphs are too long)! And yes, I got a 9 (two years ago, eek, but happy to answer any questions!)
apolaroidofus
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
It sounds like you're building an excellent library of resources that should be helpful

Do you have an idea why you're not getting 9s - for example, if you don't include many quotes you should learn more quotes, if you struggle to finish your essays you should practice writing timed essays etc. What you're doing sounds great, but if what you're really struggling with is (say) structuring the essays rather than content for them, having loads of flashcards on themes might not help you improve (although, tbh, if you're getting 7/8s you absolutely do have a solid basis and should be chuffed with that ) Engaging with some secondary material can also be interesting for getting a different perspective on the text.

I tried to find one thing to improve from each essay (ie, paragraphs are too short) and then focus on making that be good in the next essay (make effort to plan better so I only have 3 big paragraphs) even if that brought new problems (now paragraphs are too long)! And yes, I got a 9 (two years ago, eek, but happy to answer any questions!)
Ah, okay, this is really helpful, thank you! Aside from the poetry anthology when my scores (23 and 25/30) were slightly lower because I didn't like the poem/theme (aka I hadn't actually revised it ahaha), my main problem is just doing everything really well - having a good over-arching idea which links (high-level analysis of) quotations and context to critical interpretations that closely link to the focus of the question. Is the best way to combat this doing a tonne of essay plans in order to get used to coming up with a good thesis? (This is why I do so well in unseen poetry, it doesn't require one blanket idea)
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by apolaroidofus)
Ah, okay, this is really helpful, thank you! Aside from the poetry anthology when my scores (23 and 25/30) were slightly lower because I didn't like the poem/theme (aka I hadn't actually revised it ahaha), my main problem is just doing everything really well - having a good over-arching idea which links (high-level analysis of) quotations and context to critical interpretations that closely link to the focus of the question. Is the best way to combat this doing a tonne of essay plans in order to get used to coming up with a good thesis? (This is why I do so well in unseen poetry, it doesn't require one blanket idea)
I'm glad that was helpful

I see what you mean! More essay plans is definitely a good idea as it gets you used to coming up with an argument and points off the cuff, as is reading extra stuff around/about your texts so you can, well, not steal, but think about other people's ideas. As you say, it helps if you're into the text and have opinions about it - if you're a sad nerd like me you might even voice those loudly in lessons, or discuss them with friends or teachers Basically, the more you think about the texts, the more you have ideas/opinions that can become your thesis. And then, as you say, you back it up with good quote analysis!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (27)
20%
No (108)
80%

Watched Threads