Turn on thread page Beta

First time training at the gym today and some advice needed regarding fasting month.. watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd joined a gym in June, but me being me, just been plain lazy to go down and become abit physically stronger.

Finally decided to go down, until Im cursing my timing of going which I'll discuss later on. After filling out some forms, the female trainer weighed, I came up to about 10 and a half stone! Im fairly skinny and tall so was abit surprised. The session went something like this:

-Started off with a 10min on the cycle to get warmed up.
    -Then did some work my chest, cant remember what machine it was. Did it 16 times.
    -Did some more work on back, biceps on a machine, again 16 times.
    -Did some free weights, able to pick up a bar with some weight at the end, think it was 5 on either side. Then two smaller weights, working on my shoulders.
    -Before finishing, did 30 sit ups on a mat and a 5min cycle warm down.

Have to say, didnt feel all too bad after it. Nice shower when I came home. Got another appointment on Friday but doubt I'll be going for another month after that.

Start of September, the month of Ramadhan will be starting so I cant see myself going although I dont want to stop going. I was reading some stuff on the web, how I could go to the gym whilst fasting (I'd be closing my fast at 4am, then eating again at 8pm). My trainer recommended me not to come as I'd be dehydrated and could faint etc...., is she right or could I get away with a light workout? Worked out for 45mins today, felt ok physically although was abit thirsty but not too bad.

If I didnt, what kind of weight exercises could I do at home, sit ups, press ups?

Any advice, very much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly what are your goals?
    and press ups and sit ups would be ok to keep you toned and burn cals.

ReputationRep:
    I want to grow some muscles on my abs, biceps, thighs and legs.

ReputationRep:
    your trainers right im afraid. you glycogen stores will be emptied and you won't have sufficient energy to go through your workout

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt train unless you have a gym near by.
    I know a friend who has a gym in the garage so after he eats, he works out
    but i would recommend it..just use the month a way of bulking up (if you want muscle and dont have much fat). So eat a lot of protein, but eat healthy

ReputationRep:
    Whoa, you're not allowed to drink when fasting? I thought it was just food you weren't allowed. In that case I'd advise against working out. You could do short weights sessions before you are allowed to eat again in the evening or just after you eat in the morning, I suppose, but you'll be dehydrated if you try to do anything strenuous for any length of time. The idea of having to workout without being able to take in water sounds really unpleasant to me so I wouldn't do it.

ReputationRep:
    You'll lost muscle mass even without lifting weights on a fast so there's not much point.

ReputationRep:
    There's no such thing as god.. eat steak and pump iron for a fulfilling life

ReputationRep:
    It'll actually be bad for if you train while your fasting, you'll just end up losing fat, rather than cutting up.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid there's no way to get around this. You could sneak in a protein shake here and there when noone's looking, but there's not much point in fasting then is there.. Fasting is a fitness disaster when it comes to weight training.

ReputationRep:
    What time is sheri and iftar this year? roughly?

*never mind, i should read more lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Whoa, you're not allowed to drink when fasting? I thought it was just food you weren't allowed. In that case I'd advise against working out. You could do short weights sessions before you are allowed to eat again in the evening or just after you eat in the morning, I suppose, but you'll be dehydrated if you try to do anything strenuous for any length of time. The idea of having to workout without being able to take in water sounds really unpleasant to me so I wouldn't do it.
    honestly

it's not as bad as people make out

sure it's a bit harder but very do-able

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    I'd joined a gym in June, but me being me, just been plain lazy to go down and become abit physically stronger.

Finally decided to go down, until Im cursing my timing of going which I'll discuss later on. After filling out some forms, the female trainer weighed, I came up to about 10 and a half stone! Im fairly skinny and tall so was abit surprised. The session went something like this:

-Started off with a 10min on the cycle to get warmed up.
    -Then did some work my chest, cant remember what machine it was. Did it 16 times.
    -Did some more work on back, biceps on a machine, again 16 times.
    -Did some free weights, able to pick up a bar with some weight at the end, think it was 5 on either side. Then two smaller weights, working on my shoulders.
    -Before finishing, did 30 sit ups on a mat and a 5min cycle warm down.

Have to say, didnt feel all too bad after it. Nice shower when I came home. Got another appointment on Friday but doubt I'll be going for another month after that.

Start of September, the month of Ramadhan will be starting so I cant see myself going although I dont want to stop going. I was reading some stuff on the web, how I could go to the gym whilst fasting (I'd be closing my fast at 4am, then eating again at 8pm). My trainer recommended me not to come as I'd be dehydrated and could faint etc...., is she right or could I get away with a light workout? Worked out for 45mins today, felt ok physically although was abit thirsty but not too bad.

If I didnt, what kind of weight exercises could I do at home, sit ups, press ups?

Any advice, very much appreciated.

one of my friends, zaiden, played on my school's soccer team and actively participated in practice during ramadan. and this was in houston in september (quite a bit warmer and stickier than what you're probably used to) and he never was ill. this being said, i would only recommend light workouts...as fainting never feels nice! of course, you know your own body better than any of us, so as long as you've never had this problem with ramadan BEFORE i don't see what harm some light cardio and weights could do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    honestly

it's not as bad as people make out

sure it's a bit harder but very do-able

I agree here, Fasting is hardly Ideal, and for the majority of people rubbish for training. People with a bit of common sense can minimise the effects.

Forgive me if I do not understand your fast completely.

Firstly; You are not allowed to drink during the day? I've never heard of that before.

Secondly; you can only eat between 8pm and 4am; how flexible is your sleeping scheduel?

Thirdly; Interestingly enough I started a discussion about the effects of 3 meals a day wrt mass gain. Check it out.

In short, If you were to adapt your sleeping pattern to better fit the hours of fasting, eat 3 large meals between 8pm-4am, and drink during the day,and find a gym with some crazy opening hours, things could be alot worse.

ReputationRep:
    OP forget working out whilst fasting.
    Why do people do these things to themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebbs)
    I agree here, Fasting is hardly Ideal, and for the majority of people rubbish for training. People with a bit of common sense can minimise the effects.

Forgive me if I do not understand your fast completely.

Firstly; You are not allowed to drink during the day? I've never heard of that before.

Secondly; you can only eat between 8pm and 4am; how flexible is your sleeping scheduel?

Thirdly; Interestingly enough I started a discussion about the effects of 3 meals a day wrt mass gain. Check it out.

In short, If you were to adapt your sleeping pattern to better fit the hours of fasting, eat 3 large meals between 8pm-4am, and drink during the day,and find a gym with some crazy opening hours, things could be alot worse.
    Basically Ramadan is meant to be a month of contemplation

The point of fasting is to imagine how you'd feel if you were to be without food/water since some people in the world do, and be more grateful

You have to fast (both food and water) from sunrise to sunset

Generally people wake up before sheri, so he'd wake up 3-4am and have something to eat with family, pray, sleep

Depending on how much food you can take that early - you can always slam some protein shake with banana, peanut butter

& after a few days, your metabolism will slow down a bit, so you can afford to eat less and not have be adverse effect

The point is - DON'T STOP TRAINING, the amount you regress in 4 weeks, and then the time you'd take to get back to where you were before

Personally, I find cardio harder during ramadan then weight-training, because it that much more dehydrating

so if anything base your effort around strength based work

Admitally this year, the duration of not eating is much longer than prior years so would have more of an effect, but you can minimise any damage by training/eating smart

rather than just say, ah screw it and give up, and if you're like most asians I know, stuff yourself for iftar on greasiness.

ReputationRep:
    BTW ideally train just before Iftar

then you can just drink after

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I was thinking of that, to train about twice a week (Wednesday, rest the next day, work out Friday) but working out about an hour or so before Iftari. But the reason I was even thinking about working out during Ramadhan was because I now feel at ease going to the gym that I didnt want to stop and never go back again. I feel annoyed that I didnt start going when I joined!

I was thinking of doing 30 sits up a day, then resting, then doing 30 press ups at home just to keep some what in shape. Does doing sit/press up make any major changes to your body or does it help with keeping you toned up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    BTW ideally train just before Iftar

then you can just drink after
    People usually don't go more than two hours without eating something because they'll go catabolic.

Not eating or drinking from 4AM to 8PM is definitely doable in the human capability sense but weight training along with that is ****ing insane.

ReputationRep:
    lets be honest guys, hes been to the gym once. He should take a month off and hit it when he comes off his fast. Hes not going to lose any gains because he has none. Training for 4 weeks with a less than stellar diet will simply limit his beginners period of linear progression.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.